Which part next? (Giant Advanced Defy 2)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Hi all,
So I have a 2019 Giant Advanced Defy 2. I have some light bicycle AR46mm (28wide) carbon wheels on the way. previously I found some cheap shimano 7020 levers and calipers to replace the crazy Giant rube-goldberg contraption on the front of my bike that is their "Conduct" braking system....so whats the next part in terms of bang for my buck?

I'm thinking the crankset could use a major slimdown. It came specced with the nonseries RS-510 cranks. Ultegra actually looks affordable in this department. That's around a 300+g savings (and a major aesthetic upgrade).

integration

by integration

That Giant conduct is quite bulky indeed, it would be my first thing to go if I had a Defy.
Carbon stem + handlebar? I believe you don't have an OD2 fork so your choices are a plenty. Carbon saddle?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Yep no OD2, what do I look for with the plethora of stems/handlebars out there? I imagine I would save the stem for one of the last components as I'm still getting used to being stretched out and I could see myself eventually going for something longer than the 100mm one I have on. However I do find my back getting a bit sore after ~60 miles.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Went with a new ultegra crankset. Saving 250 grams and making my bike look cooler for $164 seems like a no-brainer

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

I have a 2019 Giant TCR Disc like you I changed brakes to Shimano 7200. I have fitted J@L thru axles and titanium disc bolts, a Kalloy UNO stem again with titanium bolts. I already had a pair of Carbon handlebars and carbon headset spacers, I got a great deal on a Giant SLR Carbon railed saddle and a pair of lighter tyres. The TCR comes with a 105 Crankset, but I replaced mine with a Sram GXP one so I could use my powermeter.
An Ultegra cassette will save around 25grammes. ( I asked for a swap when I bought my bike).
I would go for the thru axles and tyres to go with your new wheels.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Yeah the stock thru axles are quite beefy. But the J&L ones on ebay don't have the little lever, and I pop my rear axle on and off constantly to throw it on the trainer.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Cassette and saddle would be obvious places to save a lot of weight. That 11-34 105 cassette is not very light. What tire/tube combination are you using?

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

Nikoras wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 2:37 am
Yeah the stock thru axles are quite beefy. But the J&L ones on ebay don't have the little lever, and I pop my rear axle on and off constantly to throw it on the trainer.
The J&L thru axles use a Allen key to secure them, at the world championships from Yorkshire the mechanics were using a cordless drill to change thru axle wheels, they were very quick.
You could just fit a front one as they are sold separately.
icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:46 am
Cassette and saddle would be obvious places to save a lot of weight. That 11-34 105 cassette is not very light. What tire/tube combination are you using?
The OP has bought new wheels in the thread about it he is keen on using 28mm tubeless tyres.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:46 am
I know the 11-34 is not light, but I'm happy to have it on some of the 14 degree inclines around here. Just ordered myself some lightbicycle AR46 deep 28 wide rims with some continental 28mm GP5k tires. I know I'm breaking the 105% rule and that if I get a puncture I should go with 25mm tires. Looking up saddle weights that does seem like the next most obvious place to shed some weight. Comfort is a strange beast though, I used to find the stock contact saddle comfortable till I lowered/lengthened my stem, now I start getting a little butt-sore around the 60 mile mark. I have trouble pinpointing exactly where so I'm not sure if the giant SLR forward or nuetral saddle would be better. It looks like there are some ebay deals to be had, and I know the giant contact saddle has been working better for me than previous saddle shapes.

Nikoras

by Nikoras

Quick update: I finally got the brake levers and calipers changed, and while it looks a lot cleaner and shed a good bit of weight, I gotta say the ergonomics on the 7020 levers are a bit lacking. There's a good amount of pressure at the base of my index finger when gripping the hoods. I'm sure I'll get used to it but it is kind of disapointing. Oh well, at least the stopping power seems to be much better which is a plus.

Gunlock

by Gunlock

Hey there @Nikoras. I own the same bike and would like to get rid of the front giant conduct brake item. If I order hydro 105 brakes from here (https://www.bike24.com/p2271271.html) will this be everything I need to upgrade the brakes and get rid od the giant conduct brake system or do I have to buy something else as well (any other item)?

Thanks for helping me out!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com