SMP bar tape anyone?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

The new SMP air bar tape is supposed to weight 20gr. Has anyone tried it? SMP saddles claimed weights are correct, so I wonder. It sounds too light to be true.

https://www.sellesmp.com/en/bar-tape-air.html

Last edited by kgt on Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CLEAR

by CLEAR

Don't have them yet. But knowing all my SMP saddles are off in terms of advertised weight, I'm pretty sure this italian company has different scale which reads lower numbers.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

My experience is not the same. I have/had like 4 smp and each one was close tonthe claimed weight. The composit carbon I have is lighter than claimed.
Even if the tape is 30gr and not 20 it will still be by far the lightest in its category.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I have two Selle SMP Blasters with carbon rails. One is right around advertised weight, and the other is about 10g lighter than advertised. Tape should be more uniform in construction and more consistent in weight from sample to sample.

hannawald

by hannawald

Great catch, if it is true it seems like a no brainer, it is quite thick, so should be ok in all aspects..i am just afraid that 20g is for one roll or something like that..too good to be true:)

C36

by C36

For 2.8mm? I am curious but that’s half the weight of two full rolls of thin bar tape...

Envoyé de mon iPad en utilisant Tapatalk

kgt

by kgt

Other suggestions for light and cushy tape? I 've heard that Lizard Skins and Supakaz do not last. What about the new fizik vento solocush. Anyone using it?

muti

by muti

I have been using the Fizik Vento Solocush and I can say that it is THE best tape that I have used in my 30 years of cycling.Nicely absorbing,NOT too bulky,nice grip(but not too "sticky" as other similar tapes),grippy in wet conditions(but doesn't get soaked) and it is nicely stretched.I now use it on all my bikes.Plus it is very resistant.The one I have on my training bike,after 6 months is as good as day one.I haven't weighted it so I can't comment on the weight.
Last edited by muti on Sun Oct 13, 2019 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Using the fi’zi:k vento solocush tacky on one of my bikes and I disagree about the cushioning. At last with how I tape my bars...under lots of tension, average overlap, the fi’zi:k tape isn’t as soft feeling as Lizard Skins. Lizard Skins also still comes with the best finishing tape in the business to hide the layer of 3M Super 33 underneath whereas the vento finishing tape is about as basic as it gets.

No idea on durability...my tapes last a long, long time regardless. The material does *seem* durable.

kgt

by kgt

So, does your Lizard Skins hold fine? Which version do you have? Is the new, version 2 better? I 've read many complaints about it not being durable, at least in hotter climates, that's why I ask.
So far I did not have serious complaints about my bartapes (Fizik, Deda, Cinelli, BBB, Pro, Velo, Silva, Bontrager etc. etc.) except maybe once. But since it is time to replace my tape I'd like to try the more 'modern' tacky materials.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I think it comes down to how people grip the bars. The people who have issues wearing away Lizard Skins also have problems with Supacaz and other tapes. They must use a stronger grip on their bars...

I bought some v2 tape, but haven’t used it yet. I doubt the tape itself is different besides the pattern. It does come with fancier plugs and their packaging now is a small cardboard box instead of a tall plastic pack.

muti

by muti

You are right that the Lizard skins tape feels softer when you press it.The Fizik has a more "rubbery"feel to it.On the road thought,the vibration absorbing quality is better on the Fizik.Also it seems that the Lizard skins does not manage the sweat so well,especially on very hot climates.It feels that is soaked(which actually it isn't),giving it a "sponge"like feel.When this happens you also get a feeling that the tape is "moving"between its layers(sorry,that's the best description I can come up with).At winter,when you are wearing gloves with silicon grip dots(e.g.Defeet Duraglove),it becomes to sticky,to the point that you can get caught by surprise when changing between handlebar positions.All these don't happen with the Fizik,that's way I prefer it.And it lasts hands down much longer.That's my experiences with both,but handlebar tapes are a very personal choice.
Last edited by muti on Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I agree the fi’zi:k tape does feel more rubbery whereas the Lizard Skin outer layer feels thinner.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hannawald

by hannawald

No ww miracle, 2 rolls have 83g, far from 20g, even if we talk about one roll..