Any frame with wide tyre clearance, agressive geometry, takes rim brakes

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
jih

by jih

I have a bike where I'd like to transfer all the components onto a new frame to build a winter bike.

Requirements are:
  • Racing-like geometry (not a road endurance/sportive bike) - short head tube etc. My Tarmac fits me well with a "slam that stem" extra-low headset cover and has stack/reach of 543/387mm in a 54cm size
  • Clearance for at least 28mm tyres with mudguards/fenders
  • Able to fit rim brakes since I'm moving parts off of a rim brake bike. Disc comparability is ok as a future upgrade path so long as it is drilled for rim brakes too.
  • QRs since I have wheels built up for QRs already
  • Light-ish. Ideally carbon but metal is ok too.
  • available as frame only
  • 27.7mm seatpost (ideally)
  • Ideally external cable routing but can compromise here
Another option is to use cable actuated disc brakes but there are a lot of reports of these not working too well with Campag levers. I have BB7s on my touring bike and they work pretty well after a lot of setup effort so would consider this. However this would mean rebuilding the wheels onto new hubs which I'm not too keen to do.

by Weenie

MartinRa

by MartinRa

sounds like you need a caad 12 frameset.

jih

by jih

MartinRa wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:43 pm
Not a bad shout. What width tyres can one realistically fit in the frame/fork when using mudguards/fenders on a CAAD 12?

By realistically I mean not having to bend and adjust the struts every few rides. Fit and forget and put it away in the summer.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Similarly.

What would be like a Cinelli Semper but for rim brakes.

But not a CAAD...

something with more character ?

Marin

by Marin

True 28mm + fenders = mid-reach brakes. My bikes all can do that, but the only stock option is the All City Mr.Pink.

You can do 25 + fenders with standard brakes.

Heretic Superpavé with 30mm + SKS:

MartinRa

by MartinRa

jih wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 5:30 pm
MartinRa wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 2:43 pm
Not a bad shout. What width tyres can one realistically fit in the frame/fork when using mudguards/fenders on a CAAD 12?

By realistically I mean not having to bend and adjust the struts every few rides. Fit and forget and put it away in the summer.
i had 25mm Conti 4season on my caad10 with sks fenders, it was quite a small gap, but the caad12 should be better.

eric01

by eric01

What year is your current tarmac? The 2018+ tarmacs have pretty good tire clearance with direct mount breaks
AX Lightness Vial Evo, Carl Strong Titanium

jih

by jih

eric01 wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:48 am
What year is your current tarmac? The 2018+ tarmacs have pretty good tire clearance with direct mount breaks
Old. 2011. It has plenty of clearance for modern, wider road tyres, but not enough for the same with guards.

jih

by jih

EDIT: remove double post

jih

by jih

mr_tim wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 6:36 pm
Similarly.

What would be like a Cinelli Semper but for rim brakes.
It is a good question. The frame seem to be drilled for rim brakes, but not sure if those are actually strong enough to support braking, or purely for mounting mudguards.

EDIT: scratch that - the fork has a hole at the crown and there is a rear seatstay bridge, but the bridge doesn't have a hole for a brake.

jih

by jih

Kinesis T3 might do: https://www.kinesisbikes.co.uk/Catalogu ... celight/T3 although not especially light at 1.76kg for a 54cm frame. Also quite cheap.

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I agree on Kinesis. The TK3/4S ticks all those boxes and is around 200g lighter than the T3.

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

CAAD13 comes with fender mounts. I'm not sure of the clearence with fenders though. Manufacturer clearence is 30. File tread 32s and side knobby 31s fit the disc bike. So hopefully 28s with fenders, but at least 25s.

Calnago

by Calnago

The thing is, if you want to use full fenders, that aren’t split, and pass under the brake, unless you go with some unique long reach brake arm and a frame designed around those, it’s going to be tough to find a rim braked proper road bike that will do both 28mm tires and a fender at the same time, with “functional” clearance. And by functional I mean enough clearance so that the fender never rubs or ever touches the tire, regardless of how rough the road is and road debris isn’t constantly chattering and/or getting jammed up in the tight clearance between the fender and tire. Direct mount or standard mount doesn’t matter. Assuming Shimano just as an example, the clearance under their direct mount brakes vs their standard mount brakes is identical. And a significant advantage of standard mount brakes over direct mount for fenders is that there will be a sturdy support to pull the fender as high up into the fork crown, or rear brake bridge, as possible.
I was in a similar situation as you when I wanted a dedicated rain bike with proper road bike handling. Not cross, not endurance, but proper high performance road bike geometry. I surprisingly found that with, at the time (2014), the newly designed Emonda. It even had better clearance than the Domane back then, at least in the rear. So, with some mods to the full coverage fenders and a bit of tasteful MacGyvering it’s been the perfect rain bike for me, with 25mm Continental Competitions under full fenders with flaps that come within ~4mm of the road. Exactly what I wanted. 28’s however with full fenders/rim brakes would likely be a no go however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

bremerradkurier

by bremerradkurier

Not cheap or especially light, but this would fit most of your requirements.

http://www.hampsten.com/bike/strada-bianca/