Are my chainrings worn?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
JScycle

by JScycle

I haven't ever worn down a pair of chainrings before so i'm not sure if these are worn yet.
The chain keeps dropping off the big ring while riding but not shifting.
Please help 😀

by Weenie

talltales

by talltales

They are certainly not fresh looking. Find a picture of tha same new rings and compare. Riding worn parts is newer an advantage, but its har to say from a picture if they are worn out or not. Its a sliding scale.

c60rider

by c60rider

I notice this is a Sram chainring the same as I had on my first power meter (Quarq red 10). Like you I had never worn down a chainring in years of using Campagnolo rings previously yet the inner ring on the Sram wore out so that it sounded like teeth being ground and pretty much Un-rideable. One new inner ring later and it was immediately sorted. Because of previous experience I never imagined it was the chainring causing the problems I was experiencing, sounded much more bottom bracket. So I'm now very wary of the Sram ever having problems in future is likely to be chainring related. I'm not saying this is your problem but if I had the same problems as you and everything was adjusted correctly otherwise then I would just buy a new ring.

DaveS

by DaveS

Chain suck occurs when rings are really worn out.

JScycle

by JScycle

Thanks everyone for your comments so far
DaveS wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 2:35 pm
Chain suck occurs when rings are really worn out.
Do these look worn out to you?

Calnago

by Calnago

It’s really hard to tell if the rings are worn out from merely from looking at them (unless they are really trashed). Same as cassettes. I once had a worn out cassette where a new chain would be skipping all over the place. I cleaned up every cog, laid them all out on a big sheet of paper and right above laid out all the cogs of the brand new cassette directly above then tried to see telltale differences. I mean, aside from being able to tell that the worn one was actually used from the chain rubbing on it, I couldn’t really discern easily noticeable differences between individual cogs. But if your chain is skipping it certainly sounds like either your chain, the rings, or both are very worn. Ironically, a worn chain on worn rings will likely perform better than either a worn chain on new rings or new rings with a worn chain.
Tell me, are those 10sp SRAM Red chainrings? Which bolt pattern? I have a set of Red 10sp rings off a crank which are brand new that are taking up space. If you PM me, and want to cover shipping costs, I’ll send them to you and you can figure this out once and for all.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

JScycle

by JScycle

Calnago wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:27 pm
It’s really hard to tell if the rings are worn out from merely from looking at them (unless they are really trashed). Same as cassettes. I once had a worn out cassette where a new chain would be skipping all over the place. I cleaned up every cog, laid them all out on a big sheet of paper and right above laid out all the cogs of the brand new cassette directly above then tried to see telltale differences. I mean, aside from being able to tell that the worn one was actually used from the chain rubbing on it, I couldn’t really discern easily noticeable differences between individual cogs. But if your chain is skipping it certainly sounds like either your chain, the rings, or both are very worn. Ironically, a worn chain on worn rings will likely perform better than either a worn chain on new rings or new rings with a worn chain.
Tell me, are those 10sp SRAM Red chainrings? Which bolt pattern? I have a set of Red 10sp rings off a crank which are brand new that are taking up space. If you PM me, and want to cover shipping costs, I’ll send them to you and you can figure this out once and for all.
Thankyou for chiming in. Your opinion as a very well respected WW member is valued 😀.

They are 11 speed Sram red chainrings with the 5 bolt pattern in blast black. Thankyou for your offer but I am in Australia (high shipping costs) and the speeds don't match so I will have to pass on it.

I am considering buying a set of praxxis buzz chainrings but it's so hard to know whether I should spend that much money when i'm not sure if the rings are worn. I will try a new chain but I have a feeling it won't do anything 🤔

alcatraz

by alcatraz

A friend had chaindrops in the heaviest gears because he was touching the chain with his heel and sometimes backpedaling a bit. Big guy.

Are the drops happening more with a new/old chain? On certain places of the cassette?

Are you droping them inward or outward? Are you out of the seat when it happens or seated? Details...

When you try do the wear trick of pulling on a chainlink located at 3 o clock on the big ring and see how far it can stretch, what happens? It's not a great test but it can give you a clue. If it's fairly tight I guess the ring is more worn than the chain. If it pulls away far then the chain is worn more. I guess you want it just the right amount.

Calnago

by Calnago

You don’t have any strange setup issues do you, I mean your front derailleur isn’t causing the chain to drop somehow, by being very close to the chain, and perhaps some frame flex is enough to trigger the drop etc? Not using some weird chain/quick link setup that isn’t quite meshing right? I think I thought you said your chain was actually skipping, which almost always indicates wear, but on rereading your post you just said it’s dropping, which could be a setup issue. And last but not least, SRAM front drivetrains are not exactly known for perfection.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Gary71

by Gary71

JScycle - with your chain in the little ring and then in the Big Dog grab your chain at 3 o'clock and try and pull it away from your teeth. If you have substaintal lift, then your chainrings are toast.
See GPLama's video for reference. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APcTXO2-AKU

Look for forged chainrings (and be prepared to pay a little more), I think Praxis used to forge their's when they first entered the market similar to Campagnolo do. Hence, the reason why they rarely wear out and you shouldn't have to worry about them again.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

One of the teeth looks a bit pointy but one tooth would not wear like that and the others not. Minor Wear is hard to spot. When rings are worn you can see it. The teeth become sharp triangles. Your teeth are not like that yet.

It could be a worn chain, it might be the rings it I would check derailleur alignment and chain wear first.

The above test, pulling the chain aways could just mean your chain is worn.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Check for bent teeth. Sometimes if it's taken an impact you have like 2-3 teeth pointing sideways.

Also check for play in crank/rings (sideways). If you're pedaling hard/torquing the crank and moving something out of alignment it could also cause something like this or noise.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

If you use Strava have a look and see if you have done over 10,000kms on the rings. If you have think about replacing them. Chain rings can do 20,000kms, it depends on the quality of the rings, local conditions and how often you have changed/lubed the chain.

I usually find 10,000-15,000 for a cassette, 10,000-20,000 for rings and 2500-3500 for a chain is about right. Or in other words replace if in doubt, or if you visually inspect and you're certain all is well and good you can go further. Only visually inspecting and not measuring distance is prone to confusion and innacuracy.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

those chainring looks fine, a worn out sram yaw chainring would be totally smooth from the side, yours still have ridges on the side of the teeth

uraz

by uraz

They are not even close being worn out

by Weenie