New TT bikes at Kona 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wintershade

by wintershade

While I realize this isn't a Tri forum, I know many riders here TT.

Kona is this weekend. What are the predictions for new bikes?

And after Kona, we can talk about the new bikes?

I'll start for predictions.

I have heard from a very reliable source (who claims to have seen the geometry) that Giant will release a new Trinity. It's supposed to be pretty awesome. I've also heard Canyon is likely to release a disc brake Speedmax SLX update.

What else?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

citrusparty

by citrusparty

There's a new Scott TT frame. The plasma disc. Looks very futuristic (almost like a concept bike imo).

I'm expecting Brownlee to ride it

jlok

by jlok

citrusparty wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:43 pm
There's a new Scott TT frame. The plasma disc. Looks very futuristic (almost like a concept bike imo).

This?
index.jpg
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

timmerrr

by timmerrr

jlok wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:55 am
citrusparty wrote:

This? index.jpg
I’m usually a fan of most tt bikes and aero everything but that is just disgusting...
State Bicycle Co. Undefeated: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171358

cajer

by cajer

Did they make the bike too short at first and then just tack on more front end?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cajer wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:36 am
Did they make the bike too short at first and then just tack on more front end?

Seems like the current wisdom is to just let the turbulent air come off the trailing edge of the wheel and reduce the size of the main triangle while maintaining nice wing surfaces. The HT junction is about as deep as any tri bike I’ve seen.

Definitely not a looker, but I doubt most of these customers prioritize aesthetics.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:24 am
Definitely not a looker, but I doubt most of these customers prioritize aesthetics.
That's a lot of shade. Cough 5.8 Cough
No, I am not letting that go.

Back to the topic. Are we expecting any other UCI legal disc brake tt bike refreshes other than the speed max, speed concept, and trinity?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am
Back to the topic. Are we expecting any other UCI legal disc brake tt bike refreshes other than the speed max, speed concept, and trinity?
Does not seem to be the case.

Regarding Trek Speed Concept disc, any serious info it is really expected? A couple of years ago, rumours were Trek tried to build a faster TT disc frame, and abandoned the project after they could not get it to be faster than current SC.

However, if they updated it with T47BB (discs are not that necessary), I'd be all over it.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

jlok wrote:
citrusparty wrote:

This?
index.jpg
The AXS os just icing on the cake Image

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:14 am
icantaffordcycling wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 8:34 am
Regarding Trek Speed Concept disc, any serious info it is really expected? A couple of years ago, rumours were Trek tried to build a faster TT disc frame, and abandoned the project after they could not get it to be faster than current SC.
https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/road ... sc_brakes/

Trek is all in on disc brakes.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Well, that's a generic statement you could expect from any manufacturer.

The question is, whether SC Disc is coming this year.

From what I've seen in Trek next season dealer preorder lists, Speed Concept rim is still there in both the bike as well as the frameset option. As an example, when Cervelo P5 Disc was coming, you couldn't order the P5-Six for next season delivery anymore.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 am

From what I've seen in Trek next season dealer preorder lists, Speed Concept rim is still there in both the bike as well as the frameset option. As an example, when Cervelo P5 Disc was coming, you couldn't order the P5-Six for next season delivery anymore.

That's because Cervelo/Pon sucks at keeping inventory down. Ideally a company would have 2 weeks of inventory or shorter than that

wintershade

by wintershade

Looks like nothing new was annouced... kind of a let down.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I think the new plasma looks good.

Tri bikes all kind of look ugly at one angle... and fantastic the next look. I love my ia. But sometimes it looks so wrong. And then it is suddenly the hottest thing on two wheels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 11:02 am

The thing about the speedconcept is that it is one of the fastest bikes period. Trek has one model, and it is the second most popular brand at kona (cervelo is a strong #1 with felt in 3rd, and specialized in a close 4th).

When a bike sells that well there is likely not huge incentive to upgrade it and possibly even slow it down.

When the speed concept disc comes, expect a full redesign.