New TT bikes at Kona 2019

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ksavostin

by ksavostin

Speed concept doesnt need disc brakes, what it needs is spot in the frame for di2 junction box, like madone has.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

ksavostin wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:35 am
Speed concept doesnt need disc brakes, what it needs is spot in the frame for di2 junction box, like madone has.
But i bet you trek gives it disc brakes as the only option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cajer

by cajer

I don't understand disc brakes at all for a TT bike, if you're braking that much in a TT you're doing something wrong. Also the speed concept brakes work amazingly for me even on old Aeolus carbon wheels.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

cajer wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:29 am
I don't understand disc brakes at all for a TT bike, if you're braking that much in a TT you're doing something wrong. Also the speed concept brakes work amazingly for me even on old Aeolus carbon wheels.
Tell that to Chad Haga after the final TT at the giro this year. He accredited his win to disc brakes in a post-race interview. Confidence = later braking = more speed. Technical TT's are a thing.
As you said, you want to brake as little as possible in a TT, which is easier on a disc brake bike...

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

cajer wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:29 am
Tell that to trek, but i bet they won't listen.

Discs make even less sense on tt/tri bikes than road bikes. But trends, manufacturing and economy of scale will force the hand.

My tri bike has dic brakes, and post bedding, they have been flawless.

cajer

by cajer

Chad was likely touting the line his sponsors wanted him to say. I've never had a scenario in which I needed more braking power than my rim brakes could provide.

henau212

by henau212

So nobody was riding the new Plasma at Kona? Kind of expected at least Kienle on the bike..

The Speedmax is going to receive Discs next year as well. Version wasn't ready for Kona. Big question is if anything else is changed..

Kind of interesting to see so many pros on 1X AXS in Kona. SRAM sponsoring seems to be way bigger in Triathlon than in road racing.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

henau212 wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:11 am
So nobody was riding the new Plasma at Kona? Kind of expected at least Kienle on the bike..

The Speedmax is going to receive Discs next year as well. Version wasn't ready for Kona. Big question is if anything else is changed..

Kind of interesting to see so many pros on 1X AXS in Kona. SRAM sponsoring seems to be way bigger in Triathlon than in road racing.
Because 1x for road sucks :D
(although I'll be running 1x for my aero race bike next year as well - but that's because most of my races are pancake flat, so I can avoid switching to the small ring the entire season)

Regarding Plasma, my local Scott dealer preorder offer has both Plasma 5 as well as Plasma Premium frameset listed; the latter is 25% more expensive so although I haven't inquired in detail, I assume the Premium must be the new model especially because full Premium bike is listed as 15k EUR MSRP. That suggests Scott has these ready soon, which, yes, makes it even more interesting why none were actually ridden at Kona.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Broady

by Broady

Discs aren't just for braking... They open up TT bikes massively regarding design, some modern frames would be nigh on impossible to manufacture with cable actuated calipers - wide forks / stays, nightmarish cable routing etc.

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Yet even Cervelo did not produce the P5 Disc notably faster than P5-6 although building the bike almost from ground up.

The main thing where we still could expect aero gains, are the aerobars where personalized fit and extension shapes could bring 5 or even more watt improvement (although already really dependent on the rider). How to put all that in a mass-manufacturing context, is a hard question, though...
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:16 am
Yet even Cervelo did not produce the P5 Disc notably faster than P5-6 although building the bike almost from ground up.

The main thing where we still could expect aero gains, are the aerobars where personalized fit and extension shapes could bring 5 or even more watt improvement (although already really dependent on the rider). How to put all that in a mass-manufacturing context, is a hard question, though...
Agreed. Remember the white papers on slowtwitch from a year or two ago. An old felt da with a good front end was not farr of the p5x. The grams drag difference was marginal. Peak aero was declared.