Pain behind the knee after 2 hours of ride

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DaveS

by DaveS

The saddle should not be pushed all the way forward to correct a reach problem, that's what shorter stems, shorter reach bars and shorter reach brake hoods are for. No one has mentioned the knee position, relative to the BB. Using the knee over pedal (KOP) position is a good starting point, but I always have my knee positioned further back than that. It works better for the large amount of climbing that I do in Colorado. At 168cm tall, I have an 83cm inseam and 73cm saddle height. I have the saddle relatively well centered with a 25mm setback post. I also use 172.5mm crank arms, but 170mm would work well too.

To create the reach I want, I use Easton EC-90 short reach bars and Campy levers that have a shorter reach than the other brands. That combination usually allows the use of a 110mm stem. If you combine Shimano levers with a longer reach bar, that alone could increase reach to the brake hoods by 20mm.

The Pinarello has a relatively short reach to start with, at only 367mm. My Colnago has 383mm reach, so I am going to try a 100mm stem, although it would be a first for me.

To set saddle height roughly, always be sure that you can drop the heel slightly below horizontal, with the leg fully extended at the bottom of the stroke. If you can't then over extension of the leg is only avoided by pedaling with a relatively extreme toes down, heel up position.
Last edited by DaveS on Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

I already use a Super short reach satori x-race handlebar. 65mm reach. Stem is 90mm 8 degree rise. The hoods are Shimano because the entire groupset is ultegra. I don't know if it is possible to use a campy shifter with a Shimano group. Even if possible is it straight forward ?
If my seatpost was zero setback I would have had a lot of options to play around. I will do the KOPS measurement and post back

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

iamraymond

by iamraymond

I purchased those same Satori x race Carbon bars and returned them after measuring the actual reach. The shorter reach and flare was the main selling point for me, but according to my measurements it's closer to 70 or 75mm; I don't remember exactly.

I went back to my trusted Easton EC90 SLX3 bars which are listed as 75mm reach but can be set up with less 70mm with Shimano shifters.

The other bars I've tried with very short reach are the stock aluminum bars from Canyon. I think they are also 70mm but also feel very short with shimano shifters.

DaveS

by DaveS

AllAboutFeel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:57 pm
I already use a Super short reach satori x-race handlebar. 65mm reach. Stem is 90mm 8 degree rise. The hoods are Shimano because the entire groupset is ultegra. I don't know if it is possible to use a campy shifter with a Shimano group. Even if possible is it straight forward ?
If my seatpost was zero setback I would have had a lot of options to play around. I will do the KOPS measurement and post back
Campy shifters are not an option with shimano drivetrain. Unless you have short arms, the combination of a short reach frame and bars, plus a 90mm stem should be enough to make use of the setback post.

One other thing that affects reach is a rounded back. That reduces reach, compared to someone with a naturally flat back.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

DaveS wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:46 pm
AllAboutFeel wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:57 pm
Campy shifters are not an option with shimano drivetrain. Unless you have short arms, the combination of a short reach frame and bars, plus a 90mm stem should be enough to make use of the setback post.

One other thing that affects reach is a rounded back. That reduces reach, compared to someone with a naturally flat back.

As others have mentioned, reach needs to be decoupled from saddle positions side from very minor fluctuations due to more aggressive fits utilizing different parts of your sitbones. As the OP is very short, a 90mm stem and short reach bars are “normal.” A 25mm setback post could also be normal since most small frames have very steep ST angles.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

iamraymond wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm
I purchased those same Satori x race Carbon bars and returned them after measuring the actual reach. The shorter reach and flare was the main selling point for me, but according to my measurements it's closer to 70 or 75mm; I don't remember exactly.

I went back to my trusted Easton EC90 SLX3 bars which are listed as 75mm reach but can be set up with less 70mm with Shimano shifters.

The other bars I've tried with very short reach are the stock aluminum bars from Canyon. I think they are also 70mm but also feel very short with shimano shifters.
Thanks for the tip. I too found that the reach of the handlebar is not very short as advertised. Have you checked out Zipp SL70 ?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

AllAboutFeel wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 10:46 am
iamraymond wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 5:41 pm

Thanks for the tip. I too found that the reach of the handlebar is not very short as advertised. Have you checked out Zipp SL70 ?
Haero H145 has a short reach!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ALAN Carbon+

by ALAN Carbon+

Also consider how the bars are set up and where the shifters are placed on the bars as this can also change the reach by 1-1.5cm.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

mendiz

by mendiz

I advice you read two post by Steve Hogg, the best I think in bike fitting that you can practice, about seat seat back and seat height. You only need a turbo.
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... can-it-be/
https://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/bi ... oad-bikes/
You don´t stop riding when you get old, you get old when you stop riding.

AllAboutFeel

by AllAboutFeel

Just back from a 2.5 hours ride. Pain is gone!
Lowered the saddle by 2 cms (as per my old bike measurements)
What a relief! Thank you so much.