Gumwall Tire Question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Totally understand all that, you could build a crappy “open tubular” as well. But the marketing value comes from the fact that most people would associate the term “tubular” with the nicest riding tires available, what the pros use, still today, blah blah blah. Do you think the manufacturers would be calling these “types of clinchers” Open Tubulars if there was a general consensus in the marketplace that tubulars were crap? Of course they wouldn’t. The word tubular would have no place in the description. Marketing, as pure as it gets, but this is a term that is very confusing to people. It shouldn’t be. What people should get out of seeing a tire labeled as an “Open Tubular” is simply that it is likely one of the best clinchers the company makes and probably is very similar in compound and construction to their actual tubulars, except in a clincher form. That’s all.
Good discussion, nonetheless
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

Junior Varsity
in the industry

by Junior Varsity

Calnago wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 pm
Image Totally understand all that, you could build a crappy “open tubular” as well. But the marketing value comes from the fact that most people would associate the term “tubular” with the nicest riding tires available, what the pros use, still today, blah blah blah. Do you think the manufacturers would be calling these “types of clinchers” Open Tubulars if there was a general consensus in the marketplace that tubulars were crap? Of course they wouldn’t. The word tubular would have no place in the description. Marketing, as pure as it gets, but this is a term that is very confusing to people. It shouldn’t be. What people should get out of seeing a tire labeled as an “Open Tubular” is simply that it is likely one of the best clinchers the company makes and probably is very similar in compound and construction to their actual tubulars, except in a clincher form. That’s all.
Good discussion, nonetheless Image
Yes, I think they would still call them open or cotton clinchers. Looking around, I believe Veloflex is the only brand calling them "open tubulars" but please correct me if I'm wrong. Vittoria (the largest producer of cotton casing clinchers) and Challenge both call them either 'handmade clinchers' or 'cotton casing clinchers'. Specialized calls them Turbo Cotton.

I see your point on the marketing aspect but I think you're extrapolating a bit. I would also say tubeless (TLR) will dominate the UCI World Tour in the coming years. The one think I can say with 100% certainty is that we're at a great time to be a tire nerd. There is so much investment and development happening right now, the likes of which haven't been seen up to this point in the bicycle industry.
Doing bike things.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Junior Varsity wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 4:17 pm
Calnago wrote:
Wed Oct 09, 2019 10:14 pm
Image Totally understand all that, you could build a crappy “open tubular” as well. But the marketing value comes from the fact that most people would associate the term “tubular” with the nicest riding tires available, what the pros use, still today, blah blah blah. Do you think the manufacturers would be calling these “types of clinchers” Open Tubulars if there was a general consensus in the marketplace that tubulars were crap? Of course they wouldn’t. The word tubular would have no place in the description. Marketing, as pure as it gets, but this is a term that is very confusing to people. It shouldn’t be. What people should get out of seeing a tire labeled as an “Open Tubular” is simply that it is likely one of the best clinchers the company makes and probably is very similar in compound and construction to their actual tubulars, except in a clincher form. That’s all.
Good discussion, nonetheless Image
Yes, I think they would still call them open or cotton clinchers. Looking around, I believe Veloflex is the only brand calling them "open tubulars" but please correct me if I'm wrong. Vittoria (the largest producer of cotton casing clinchers) and Challenge both call them either 'handmade clinchers' or 'cotton casing clinchers'. Specialized calls them Turbo Cotton.

I see your point on the marketing aspect but I think you're extrapolating a bit. I would also say tubeless (TLR) will dominate the UCI World Tour in the coming years. The one think I can say with 100% certainty is that we're at a great time to be a tire nerd. There is so much investment and development happening right now, the likes of which haven't been seen up to this point in the bicycle industry.
It looks like Vittoria is now terming the tires it used to call 'open tubulars' as 'foldable bead' tires.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Thu Oct 10, 2019 6:18 pm

It looks like Vittoria is now terming the tires it used to call 'open tubulars' as 'foldable bead' tires.

https://www.vittoria.com/eu/road-tire

No? Folding bead means folding bead, almost always aramid/Kevlar...as opposed to non-folding steel wire beads. If you’re talking about the product filter, it seems to be their way of distinguishing between a regular clincher and a tubeless clincher, however they aren’t mutually exclusive. Most if not all tubeless clinchers have folding beads. Vittoria is still referring to cotton-casing clinchers with glued on treads as “open tubulars” in the link above.

I think it’s a fair colloquial description for tires using supple cotton/silk/etc casings, though simply calling them “supple cotton/silk clinchers” makes even more sense.