Help me build a performance weenie steel bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kgt

by kgt

At your weight the cherubim will be a sublime ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ichobi

by ichobi

Thanks for the many good suggestions. The Cinneli XCR looks dope! I am sure if I live in the US there are many more options to look for. I now realize that I try to combine two contradicting goals (hard-duty travel race bike vs dream custom metal bike) which don't really complment each other and will only add more problems later on.

Luckily, Specialized importer in Thailand, in order to combat grey import and reactivate the slow market, now sells all Specialized Allez Sprint model (disc / rim / any color - '18,'19,'20 model for around 850 USD - frameset). They will sell this price until the stock run out. So I decide this will be my bike that goes on media trip with me. I can probably build the frame with my existing equiment ( 2.5 years old eTap 11, beaten upRoval wheels etc.). The 2020 Allez sprint has really good color selection. At this price for the frameset I dont have to worry about much if anything and also save cost of going custom made, even on the cheaper ones.

Then I will sell my S-Works SL6 to fund the dream custom steel bike without the need to worry too much about travel aspect.

- Brand selection are now down to Legor, Prova, Bastion and Cherubim (my personal preference for both aesthetic and rarity). I will do with steel for now. Ti bike will be an N+1 down the line.
- Dura-Ace Direct Mount rim brake
- Red AXS groupset that I already have (will have to buy a pair of rim brake shifter, but i can probably sell the disc shifter for more since they are still in the box).
- Rolf / Corima/ Cadex or Campy WTO wheels (TBD)
- S-Works power Arc saddle
- Vittoria Corsa G2+ tires + Vittoria or Silca latex tube

Will update once I get going with the frame choice. Hope to be able to build both up soon.

Marin

by Marin

For a true allrounder, consider using mid-reach brakes - easy when you're getting a custom frame. You can run 35mm tires, or 32s with fenders.

And noone (not even you) will notice the longer brakes when you run carbon rims with 25mm tires :D

That's how I have set up my own frames (2 steel, 1 titanium) and I find it very practical.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ichobi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:35 am
Thanks for the many good suggestions. The Cinneli XCR looks dope! I am sure if I live in the US there are many more options to look for. I now realize that I try to combine two contradicting goals (hard-duty travel race bike vs dream custom metal bike) which don't really complment each other and will only add more problems later on.

Luckily, Specialized importer in Thailand, in order to combat grey import and reactivate the slow market, now sells all Specialized Allez Sprint model (disc / rim / any color - '18,'19,'20 model for around 850 USD - frameset). They will sell this price until the stock run out. So I decide this will be my bike that goes on media trip with me. I can probably build the frame with my existing equiment ( 2.5 years old eTap 11, beaten upRoval wheels etc.). The 2020 Allez sprint has really good color selection. At this price for the frameset I dont have to worry about much if anything and also save cost of going custom made, even on the cheaper ones.

Then I will sell my S-Works SL6 to fund the dream custom steel bike without the need to worry too much about travel aspect.

- Brand selection are now down to Legor, Prova, Bastion and Cherubim (my personal preference for both aesthetic and rarity). I will do with steel for now. Ti bike will be an N+1 down the line.
- Dura-Ace Direct Mount rim brake
- Red AXS groupset that I already have (will have to buy a pair of rim brake shifter, but i can probably sell the disc shifter for more since they are still in the box).
- Rolf / Corima/ Cadex or Campy WTO wheels (TBD)
- S-Works power Arc saddle
- Vittoria Corsa G2+ tires + Vittoria or Silca latex tube

Will update once I get going with the frame choice. Hope to be able to build both up soon.
If you buy Corima (clincher) wheels, be aware of this!!!

Only tires with inner tubes are acceptable (except latex inner tubes).
Co2 cartridge inflation systems are only allowed if their flow rate is adjustable.
Instant inflation cartridges are prohibited with CORIMA wheels.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

motillam90

by motillam90

I just had my stelbel SB/03 and it is a beauty. Bit heavy but the feel is something else.

sib

by sib

@motillam90

build thread?

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

To the op the giant cadex carbon spokes are not made by giant. Giant out source this to a chinese firm.

I know where because I have just bought some.

alanyu

by alanyu

bm0p700f wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:59 pm
To the op the giant cadex carbon spokes are not made by giant. Giant out source this to a chinese firm.

I know where because I have just bought some.
Giant carbon rim is also not made by Giant.

nickf

by nickf

Rob English built me an excellent snappy lightweight road bike. Not much clearance for big tires but I'm sure he could accommodate whatever specs you require. The problem is the waitlist.

If it were me and was traveling a lot I would go with Ti. No paint to worry about. Also, you could ride it in any weather without worrying about corrosion.

My current travel bike is my Trek Checkpoint, carbon, soulless, generic boring bike I wouldn't be bothered if it gets scratched/damaged. But it does ride excellent and can ride road and gravel.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

The op said in the first post gaint made there own cadex rims and spoke so.i had to chip in. I also know about the rim. I happen to buying the same cadex rim well not exactly the same but the same factory. Essentially I will build a cadex wheel for a fraction of the price.

kgibbo1868

by kgibbo1868

+1 on Cherubim, my Baum Ristretto has XCR rear triangle and I rate that tubing quite high! It is probably as close to Ti as you can get (for corrosion restance and toughness) and still be steel. Can I ask why you want direct mount brakes? I find standard mount to have more than enough stopping power TBH. I run Veloflex tubular 28s and they work really well in light gravel and are sublime on paved roads, honestly I think anything bigger than 28 and its going to start to decrease in performance, unless you go with a seperate set of wheels for racing / fast group rides. Good luck with the build, I am sure you will enjoy the new steel weenie!!!!! :-) Life is way to short not to get your "dream bike"!
2019 Baum Ristretto
Pain is my friend!

Tychom

by Tychom

Late to the thread but anyway.. I keep a Ritchey Road Logic as a travel bike in Japan. It's the older model but the newer one takes 30mm tyres and would seem to fit the original (if resolved) goals. I've been happy taking mine around Japan by car and train. It's cheap enough, solid enough and rides very well.

Still I keep thinking about replacing it with an Uli. It's hard not to. But the main stopper remains that it would be a more worrysome travel companion than the Ritchey.

Some other japanese and Tokyo area frame builders worth considering would be Kualis (Ti for a dream build, but their steel frames are surprisingly cheap), Equilibrium, Svecluck, Raizinworks (or Kinfolk, who he builds for), Samson, Toei and numerous others.