Help me build a performance weenie steel bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kgt

by kgt

At your weight the cherubim will be a sublime ride.

ichobi

by ichobi

Thanks for the many good suggestions. The Cinneli XCR looks dope! I am sure if I live in the US there are many more options to look for. I now realize that I try to combine two contradicting goals (hard-duty travel race bike vs dream custom metal bike) which don't really complment each other and will only add more problems later on.

Luckily, Specialized importer in Thailand, in order to combat grey import and reactivate the slow market, now sells all Specialized Allez Sprint model (disc / rim / any color - '18,'19,'20 model for around 850 USD - frameset). They will sell this price until the stock run out. So I decide this will be my bike that goes on media trip with me. I can probably build the frame with my existing equiment ( 2.5 years old eTap 11, beaten upRoval wheels etc.). The 2020 Allez sprint has really good color selection. At this price for the frameset I dont have to worry about much if anything and also save cost of going custom made, even on the cheaper ones.

Then I will sell my S-Works SL6 to fund the dream custom steel bike without the need to worry too much about travel aspect.

- Brand selection are now down to Legor, Prova, Bastion and Cherubim (my personal preference for both aesthetic and rarity). I will do with steel for now. Ti bike will be an N+1 down the line.
- Dura-Ace Direct Mount rim brake
- Red AXS groupset that I already have (will have to buy a pair of rim brake shifter, but i can probably sell the disc shifter for more since they are still in the box).
- Rolf / Corima/ Cadex or Campy WTO wheels (TBD)
- S-Works power Arc saddle
- Vittoria Corsa G2+ tires + Vittoria or Silca latex tube

Will update once I get going with the frame choice. Hope to be able to build both up soon.

by Weenie

Marin

by Marin

For a true allrounder, consider using mid-reach brakes - easy when you're getting a custom frame. You can run 35mm tires, or 32s with fenders.

And noone (not even you) will notice the longer brakes when you run carbon rims with 25mm tires :D

That's how I have set up my own frames (2 steel, 1 titanium) and I find it very practical.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ichobi wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 6:35 am
Thanks for the many good suggestions. The Cinneli XCR looks dope! I am sure if I live in the US there are many more options to look for. I now realize that I try to combine two contradicting goals (hard-duty travel race bike vs dream custom metal bike) which don't really complment each other and will only add more problems later on.

Luckily, Specialized importer in Thailand, in order to combat grey import and reactivate the slow market, now sells all Specialized Allez Sprint model (disc / rim / any color - '18,'19,'20 model for around 850 USD - frameset). They will sell this price until the stock run out. So I decide this will be my bike that goes on media trip with me. I can probably build the frame with my existing equiment ( 2.5 years old eTap 11, beaten upRoval wheels etc.). The 2020 Allez sprint has really good color selection. At this price for the frameset I dont have to worry about much if anything and also save cost of going custom made, even on the cheaper ones.

Then I will sell my S-Works SL6 to fund the dream custom steel bike without the need to worry too much about travel aspect.

- Brand selection are now down to Legor, Prova, Bastion and Cherubim (my personal preference for both aesthetic and rarity). I will do with steel for now. Ti bike will be an N+1 down the line.
- Dura-Ace Direct Mount rim brake
- Red AXS groupset that I already have (will have to buy a pair of rim brake shifter, but i can probably sell the disc shifter for more since they are still in the box).
- Rolf / Corima/ Cadex or Campy WTO wheels (TBD)
- S-Works power Arc saddle
- Vittoria Corsa G2+ tires + Vittoria or Silca latex tube

Will update once I get going with the frame choice. Hope to be able to build both up soon.
If you buy Corima (clincher) wheels, be aware of this!!!

Only tires with inner tubes are acceptable (except latex inner tubes).
Co2 cartridge inflation systems are only allowed if their flow rate is adjustable.
Instant inflation cartridges are prohibited with CORIMA wheels.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2018.12.21)
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=156137
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D