New 2015 Giant Propel build - advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Erikvb

by Erikvb

Hi All,

My first post here. I’ve had several Giant TCR advanced SL’s and really loved them. My current TCR is getting a bit older now, and we all know that moment that we start getting aa taste for something new....well I’m there.

I recently bought a 2015 Propel Advaced SL frameset which sat at my LBS. New, spotless and no discs (not into them, sorry). I’m planning to build it up over the winter and I want it Aero&Light.

What I have:
The frameset (+a set of Fouriers) est 1700 grams (size L, btw)
Deep section hand-built carbon wheels (55 mm) with DT Swiss 1580 grams
Planning to get:
Integrated Carbon bars (Canyon) 370 grams
Ultegra R8000 mech 2260 grams (est.)
Fabric Scoop Saddle Titanium 240 grams (est.)
Tires/inner-outer 800 grams (est)

The total comes in at just under 7000 grams, but this may turn out optimistic and go just over when adding the small stuff like cables/bottle cages/Garmin mount/Pedals (Ultegra Carbon btw)

What’s your take? Is there something you would change in this lay-out from my listing above? Looking forward to your ideas! So if you would change components; which would you have instead? (Price, weight)

Thanks! :thumbup:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sharkman

by sharkman

I’d bin the fourier pads they are not the best(butsince you go carbon you”ll do this anyway)
Why not choose the giant cockpit? It’s a bit less forgiving than the canyon but I like the shape of the bar.
My choice was di-2 which looks a bit cleaner and shifts better compared to mechanical since the cable bends on the propel cause more cable resistance.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Erikvb

by Erikvb

sharkman wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:17 pm
I’d bin the fourier pads they are not the best(butsince you go carbon you”ll do this anyway)
Why not choose the giant cockpit? It’s a bit less forgiving than the canyon but I like the shape of the bar.
My choice was di-2 which looks a bit cleaner and shifts better compared to mechanical since the cable bends on the propel cause more cable resistance.

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Thanks, got Swisstop pads because that is what the wheel builder told me to get. Happy with the Swiss performance on the TCR (ultegra brakes).
DI2 or eTap sounds like fun, but another weight penalty...thanks for the hint re cable routing/easier shift

mikemelbrooks

by mikemelbrooks

I am thinking the way that tubeless tires seem to be getting better so quickly that I would go for tubeless compatible rims at least. You can always use a tubed tire on a tubeless rim.

Erikvb

by Erikvb

I was expecting a few people to comment on an alternative for the Ultegra, actually?

No one? Upgrade to Dura, yeah, but that doesnt come for free
Last edited by Erikvb on Tue Oct 08, 2019 3:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shotgun

by shotgun

- Watch out for the rim widths vs your calipers. These models were a bit finicky. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/_upload_ ... 20Tips.pdf
- I can't comment on the weight of the calipers, but you'll need to add/subtract on your current Ultegra general weight.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

mikemelbrooks wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:55 pm
I am thinking the way that tubeless tires seem to be getting better so quickly that I would go for tubeless compatible rims at least. You can always use a tubed tire on a tubeless rim.
tubeless for 25mm road tire is a joke

JScycle

by JScycle

Erikvb wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 pm
DI2 or eTap sounds like fun, but another weight penalty...thanks for the hint re cable routing/easier shift
Is di2 that much heavier if at all?
Don't forget to subtract the weight of the ultegra brakes from the mechanical groupset as you have fouriers on the propel.

PeytonM

by PeytonM

The canyon bars will come in around 400g with the plastic cable covers and screws. They have short reach (70-75mm) so order you stem size accordingly.

Erikvb

by Erikvb

ChiZ01 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:49 am
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Please explain joke? Never tried tubeless, so no idea. Seems messy when things go wrong
Last edited by Erikvb on Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Erikvb

by Erikvb

PeytonM wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 9:56 am
The canyon bars will come in around 400g with the plastic cable covers and screws. They have short reach (70-75mm) so order you stem size accordingly.
Thanks, will measure.

naylor343

by naylor343

Always liked the propel. For me though, aesthetically, the downside has always been the cable entry at the top tube for mechanical, very untidy. Not the greatest with the di2 cable entering there either, but a lot better. Would be much better if there was a way for the di2 to enter with the rear brake cable as on the tcr.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

Erikvb wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:46 pm
ChiZ01 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:49 am
mikemelbrooks wrote:
Please explain joke? Never tried tubeless, so no idea. Seems messy when things go wrong
25mm = high pressure = sealants would not seal

Erikvb

by Erikvb

naylor343 wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:59 pm
Always liked the propel. For me though, aesthetically, the downside has always been the cable entry at the top tube for mechanical, very untidy. Not the greatest with the di2 cable entering there either, but a lot better. Would be much better if there was a way for the di2 to enter with the rear brake cable as on the tcr.
Agree, that is the least attractive feature. But after 3 TCRs I wanted to try something different (not even that different, really). Would have another TCR anyday (if in the right colours!)

Erikvb

by Erikvb

JScycle wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:23 am
Erikvb wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:50 pm
Is di2 that much heavier if at all?
Don't forget to subtract the weight of the ultegra brakes from the mechanical groupset as you have fouriers on the propel.
About 100 grams for the Ultegra DI2. Not the world, but I'm trying to get light so...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com