Vittoria Corsa G+ 2.0 sidewall tear

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fa63

by fa63

This happened on this morning's ride. I don't recall running over any debris of any sorts, so not sure why or how. It is a very clean tear in that one section, right where the tire meets the rim. The wheels are Reynolds 41 AR (disc brake). The tire has about 200 miles on it, almost new. Didn't flat or anything; I didn't even notice it until I got back home.

These are the type of tires that Enve recommends against using on their carbon clinchers, right? Anyone else have issues with their Vittoria Corsas and carbon clinchers? Just thinking if I should replace it with something else.

Last edited by fa63 on Sat Oct 05, 2019 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

c60rider

by c60rider

I specifically bought the Corsa G tyres to use with my Bora clinchers after having the side walls of my Veloflex tear apart. To be fair it does say on the Veloflex box not to use with carbon clinchers but there are plenty on here that do without problems. I changed to the Corsa's and been using them 2 years and not had any problems at all on mine. So it's a rim specific problem or a tyre specific problem?

On my veloflex when I noticed a slight issue with the side wall, not as bad as your picture demonstrates, I pulled the tyre out to inspect and found the outer strip of side wall split in numerous places. So is this just a small local area on the tyre, in which case is there something on the rim that caused it, or are there many areas along the whole tyre that are starting to tear? That's what I would look at to start with.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

c60rider wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:47 pm
So it's a rim specific problem or a tyre specific problem?

Really seems to be a little of column A and column B. You assume some risk with most cotton casing clinchers no matter what rim is used.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fa63

by fa63

The tear happened in a small area, but there is what appears to an "indentation" along the entire perimeter of the tire where it meets the hook.

When I pulled the tire off, I didn't notice any sharp edges on the rim.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I would contact Vittoria and ask them to replace the tire under warranty. Maybe it's a bad batch of tires.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

c60rider wrote:.... To be fair it does say on the Veloflex box not to use with carbon clinchers ....
Really? It really says that right on the box? What would possess them to make a clincher tire that can’t be used with a carbon rim?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

laywers.jpg
laywers.jpg (9.8 KiB) Viewed 2246 times
SilentDrone wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:19 pm
c60rider wrote:.... To be fair it does say on the Veloflex box not to use with carbon clinchers ....
Really? It really says that right on the box? What would possess them to make a clincher tire that can’t be used with a carbon rim?!

Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

c60rider

by c60rider

SilentDrone wrote:
Tue Oct 08, 2019 7:19 pm

:lol:

And here's the thread I started couple of years ago as to what happened with my Veloflex on Campag Bora viewtopic.php?f=113&t=145874

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rollinslow

by rollinslow

I put a brand new pair of Corsa G's on my wife's Alu shimano rims a few weeks ago. Shortly after I noticed the tread was pulling away from the casing. Switched to Continental gp5000's.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523