Alternative wide shoes to Shimano SH-RC901 ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

andreas

by andreas

I have size 44.5 (EU) feet, with width specs C+ and D. I've previously used Shimano SH-R320 size 45 wide, who were custom moulded with a vacuum machine.
This spring I ordered the SH-RC901 size 45 wide, but they are a millimeter or two too short, and I feel the quality of the sole and comfort is substantially lower; the shoe has a harder upper shell and doesn't fit as snugly.

One reason I went with the SH-RC901 was because they have fairly limited venting, which is a requirement both since I live in a cold place and because I have reduced blood circulation in the foot after some nerve damage.
I usually seal any vents with silicone and layers of aluminium foil & tape, but the fewer there are to start with, the better. And it's a big plus if the shoes don't have mesh venting panels.

So, what are my options if I were to look for some new, wide, warm and comfortable shoes?

PS! Of course it's a requirement that they have to be white, that really goes without saying...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Sidi Mega

gtinut

by gtinut

tried SIDI mega...not good, I am currentry using LAKE in wide...much better.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

I have an extra wide feet (I exceed the Bont Wide scale that they recommend I get custom)

I'm still using my almost 3yr old RP9. That same line had the R321s which pretty much uses the same last. Try searching online, but this is only if you dont mind wearing an older version of something.

I feel the 901s have a very narrow toe area even for the Wide version. It's just the way they designed the shoe which is disapointing, it's almost Fizik-like and very Italian. The RP9 and R321s can expand width-wise.

cnynrpr

by cnynrpr

I'm also in the same boat...er shoe, with wide feet.

How about the Specialized S-works 7 wide?

parleez1

by parleez1

Lake CX241 Wide in white, fantastic shoes!

Ritxis

by Ritxis

gtinut wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:25 pm
tried SIDI mega...not good, I am currentry using LAKE in wide...much better.

Sidi Mega are perfect for me ....... the Lake will be for you

In a wide version I tried, Lake, Shimano, Bont ........and why I prefer Sidi, I do not say that the others are NOT good

What can go well for me or for you or another does not mean that anybody is doing well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I had the R321 size 45 normal width for a couple seasons. The upper can splay a fair amount but I progresely started to have more and more issues in one foot. Pain in the ball, fast numbing during cold rides etc. I got a Lake 402 wide 45 and it is perfect. The only problem with them is they are pretty impossible to try without heat molding as the heel area is super tight to begin with. And even after that it stays pretty tight. Depending on your width you can look at the Lake 237 wide. What are your exact foot measurements? I'm 278 and 280 by 108. The 45s are slightly too long for me in both brands but I rather have a sloppy heel than feel the toes bumping in the front even for one second.

Bonts wide would be great too (had a Helix 44.5 shrtly) but the thin sole pass all the buzz, need to consider room for a much thicker insole.