Installation of Hambini BB

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Zorka

by Zorka

Hi, any experiences with hambini one piece bottom brackets?
I´ve just ordered one for Cipollini NK1K BB386 frame, and Hambini says it´s best to use Loctite 641 with activator. Until now I used Morgan Blue Aquaproof paste in all my B-brackets and it works fine without creaking, and I am worried about possible frame damage with Loctite application.

What works best for you?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

641 is a very gentle retaining compound. It's much easier to take apart compared to loctite 609. I wouldn't worry about it. It's good practice to use it.

Also don't disagree with Hambini or he'll call you stupid and give you a ruthless lecture. :lol:

jacobeh

by jacobeh

I have used a Hambini BB without applying anything and I don't have any issues

corky

by corky

jacobeh wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:43 am
I have used a Hambini BB without applying anything and I don't have any issues
You will do now..... he’ll be round to rip your head off

Maddie

by Maddie

I have two Hambini BBs, didn't use anything and no worries at all. Hambini himself says that loctite is a bit optional

Gesendet von meinem MAR-LX1A mit Tapatalk

chiumomo

by chiumomo

Hambini's product is always out of stock, all of my bike have bbinfinte as a result. It comes with VibraTite 530 (Locite 609 equivalent?)
No sure if it is ideal but I use it anyway

slashy

by slashy

is he planning to make new stock actually or no one is aware ?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I haven’t had any issues using Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste for pressfit applications either. It is not a retaining compound, but will help prevent corrosion etc. And it is certainly more “adhesive” than regular grease for sure, which I’d never use in a pressfit application. There’s no harm in using it and if it’s creak free, then fine. If not, then you can remove it, clean it up and reinstall using a retaining compound. Installing and removing pressfit BB’s is not something you want to be doing on a repetitive or frequent basis as over time it may cause wear on your frame. The biggest factor as to your success of a PF BB install in my opinion is simply a proper physical install, which means getting both sides installed parallel and aligned with each other and not moving within the shell.
Last edited by Calnago on Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

madik

by madik

I only used a little of white Shimano antiseize on my BB86. I had no creaking before so I didn't see the need to use Loctite. It's probably necessary if the BB shell is a bit looser in tolerances or out of them :)
Functionality > Performance > Weight

hambini

by hambini

slashy wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm
The stock is replenished every Sunday, the demand far outweighs my ability to supply so it often ends up sold out by lunchtime. And then out of stock until the following week.

The only way for me to get around this would be to either give up my day job or outsource the manufacturing.

As for the grease. The aim of the game is to stop any potential movement, if you use retaining compound and activator that is what it is designed to do. If you use grease, the movement may still occur but you might not hear it - so the frame is silently being fretted. Additionally most holes are not perfectly round, the retaining compound will bridge the gap with a bond. Grease will fill the gap.

It's up to the end user what they want to do but those are my recommendations.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Zorka

by Zorka

Thanks for all replies.
I´m not going to disagree with Hambini, he surely knows what he says. Just searching for experiences from other users.
No doubt Hambini makes high quality BB, if I wouldn´t be sure about that I would buy some cheaper solution. But I´m just getting shivers to hear Loctite and Cipollini frame in same sentence :)
But if 641 really won´t hurt the carbon shell I eventually could use it, considering that bearings can be easily changed without removing BB.

@Calnago: Getting this BB installed parallel is not a problem, since it´s one piece design.

Now I´ll have to check tolerances when BB arrives.

Btw. did you notice increased stiffness with Hambini´s BB? Now I´m riding C-Bear ceramic and it´s good, but nothing special.

chiumomo

by chiumomo

hambini wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 3:20 pm
slashy wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:46 pm
The stock is replenished every Sunday, the demand far outweighs my ability to supply so it often ends up sold out by lunchtime. And then out of stock until the following week.

The only way for me to get around this would be to either give up my day job or outsource the manufacturing.

As for the grease. The aim of the game is to stop any potential movement, if you use retaining compound and activator that is what it is designed to do. If you use grease, the movement may still occur but you might not hear it - so the frame is silently being fretted. Additionally most holes are not perfectly round, the retaining compound will bridge the gap with a bond. Grease will fill the gap.

It's up to the end user what they want to do but those are my recommendations.

Hambini
Hi Hambini, which retaining compound you recommend on bottom bracket?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Zorka

by Zorka

Hambini recommended Loctite 641 with 7649 activator for my frame.

So finally I decided I´ll follow his recommendation, I found some small bottles on eBay: https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from ... tpos&gbr=1

Can I be sure it´s genuine Loctite products?
Activator 7649 is required with L641, or can I apply retaining compound without activator?