Yeahhhh... I'm not a WW...

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
gurk700

by gurk700

My bike recently went from 5.69kg to 6.55kg and I couldn't be happier with it. 6.55 isn't exactly heavy but 860 grams around these parts is significant.

There's something about a matchy matchy bike that I love. It might be superficial and ridiculous but I can't help it.

There was some DEFINITE performance gains: Went EE brakes to DA brakes.. omg the difference...

And some conveniences: Went Selle Italia C-59 to S-works Romin Evo. Double the weight, half the worry when leaning bike against something Also went from Extralite Stem to S-Works SL. Hate the T20 bolts. Love the good old hex.

But it's mostly in my head and that matters. Loved the ride. Love it even more now.

Anybody on similar boat?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

do you live at the top of a steep hill? smalley bigs

Ride looks mean either way

by Weenie

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

These days, if you have rim brakes, you ARE a weight weenie.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

went from 16lb endurance bike to 20lb gravel bike, once your body is used to plush 38mm tire, it is really hard to go back to narrow road ones

gurk700

by gurk700

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 3:56 am
do you live at the top of a steep hill? smalley bigs

Ride looks mean either way
I'm definitely in a hilly area. There's no way/direction I go out and do anything more than 10 miles loop and end up with anything less than 100ft per mile. (sorry re-read your post and just got what you mean. by "around these parts" i meant WW forum.

In any case I like climbing. But it's comical how even on a 7% 20 min climb head/tailwind can have more influence on your time than that 800grams. So I dunno at times like those I've always felt what's the point. My peak fitness last year I have a 20:32 best on a climb on my then 6.8kg Cervelo R5. My best on this tarmac when it was 5.69kg was 20:50 or something. I bet I'll beat that 20:50 within a month with this 6.55kg setup.

So yeah I dunno. Convenience, looks, superficial stuff like matching components seem to make me happier these days.
Last edited by gurk700 on Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

gurk700

by gurk700

ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:24 am
went from 16lb endurance bike to 20lb gravel bike, once your body is used to plush 38mm tire, it is really hard to go back to narrow road ones
I never had a gravel bike. I can't imagine how plush 38mm must feel. Kinda regret getting another road bike (older specialized tarmac with 105) as a second bike and not a gravel capable one. Oh well. Maybe #3 is justifiable :P

gurk700

by gurk700

Mr.Gib wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:27 am
These days, if you have rim brakes, you ARE a weight weenie.
LOLZ. I had a disc brake bike for like 5 mins. Long story and don't wanna open the can of worms but discs on my main road bike... not my thing.

robertbb

by robertbb

Is the Roval decal the same colour as the S-Works decal?

If not, then not matchey matchey.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

EE vs DA, what was the biggest difference?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

corky

by corky

Nefarious86 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:57 am

I think EEs work better with SRAM & CAMPAGNOLO groupsets.....

alanyu

by alanyu

You're a “performance WW” like me. Those real none WW are using Ti rail saddles, alu bars, etc.

I switched berk lupina back to san marco aspide carbon fx for comfort. At the first time riding on lupina for 30km, I knew it's not my bottom's taste, and went back to aspide.

Also I tried my friends' extralite stem, feeling soft, then got a deda superleggera, still not stiff though better, and now ride with s-works sl.

Powercordz derailleur cables have been bined for thier bad performance. Now using Ti cables for FD, RD and rear brake. Still stainless cable for front brake, because the Ti cable stretches more, thus decreasing the braking power. I mainly use front brake so I don't want to challenge my life.

However I keep the EE brakes (DM) with DA9100 groupset now. It works fine for me, definitely better than R8010 brakes coming with the origin bike. The power is more than enough for descent in Alps.

uraz

by uraz

Nefarious86 wrote:
EE's are rather weak and "squishy" in comparison to DA (no to mention direct mount DA)

gurk700

by gurk700

Nefarious86 wrote:

Straight up power.. I slow down wayyyy quicker on DA's with same wheels. Same cable routing, same technique to bed the brakes.
It's such a big difference that I almost flew over the bars like a noob cause I squeezed the same amount of brake as I used to on EE's after the first time I installed DA's.

EE's stop fine. DA's just have more power when you need it and I like having that.

gurk700

by gurk700

corky wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 am
Nefarious86 wrote:

I think EEs work better with SRAM & CAMPAGNOLO groupsets.....
Not sure how this is related (levers i guess??) but I had similar experiences when I had SRAM eTap on my last bike.

gurk700

by gurk700

alanyu wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:16 am
You're a “performance WW” like me. Those real none WW are using Ti rail saddles, alu bars, etc.

I switched berk lupina back to san marco aspide carbon fx for comfort. At the first time riding on lupina for 30km, I knew it's not my bottom's taste, and went back to aspide.

Also I tried my friends' extralite stem, feeling soft, then got a deda superleggera, still not stiff though better, and now ride with s-works sl.

Powercordz derailleur cables have been bined for thier bad performance. Now using Ti cables for FD, RD and rear brake. Still stainless cable for front brake, because the Ti cable stretches more, thus decreasing the braking power. I mainly use front brake so I don't want to challenge my life.

However I keep the EE brakes (DM) with DA9100 groupset now. It works fine for me, definitely better than R8010 brakes coming with the origin bike. The power is more than enough for descent in Alps.
This. I'll take performance, reliability, replaceability/availability, convenience, looks before WW.
It's always been that way and my bike wasn't at all over the top exotic or flimsy in any way before the part swaps but I'm at a point where even diminishing return on one of above criteria are sometimes attractive enough to gain 100 grams :D

by Weenie