Best winter bibtights

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 5:55 pm
Define winter, huge range of definitions depending where you live. Here it's snow, ice and temperature that sometimes go down to -30°C so... any fleece lined will do but just as the base layer.
Which city do you live in? Sounds like mine (SW Ont, Canada)

I personally use Assos Mille bibs. I'd like to upgrade to their upper tier bib tights but they're too pricey. Im able to do my 2hr fatbiking in the deep winter in these.

Id like to hear some feedback on Gore tights as well.

OP - this is all about tolerance. Once you hit the negatives mark it doesn't matter what you're wearing anymore, -5 and -20 will feel the same. Whether or not it's a pricey Assos or a more palatable Pearl Izumi, your balls will still freeze

Also, do you run cold on your legs? I used some other brand before and it was way thinner than my Assos. I survived, but thinking back I was insane to even use them in a deep freeze. I get cold more on my feet and hands, followed by my head/ears.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

g32ecs wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 pm
I'm in Montreal, Canada. I ride year round but in the deep winter mostly to commute to work so when there is a blizzard, freezing rain or ridiculously cold temperatures, it's not so bad because the shortest (and easiest to ride in snow and ice) route to work is just around 10km (it can still take a while when the conditions are very bad). I find legs and upper body never get cold, even if I do 3+ hours at -10° I find pretty much any thermal bibs often good enough, I wear surprisingly little clothes even when it's -30° but then I rarely ride more than an hour.

It's the hands and feet that are harder to keep warm at these temperatures. Merino socks, I have Giro Alpineduro MTB shoes/boots that I don't tighten as much as I would with normal shoes in the summer, they are 'California winter' warm so not that warm but they're okay at keeping my feet dry, I put some water/windproof overshoes for extra warmth and waterproofness when needed. Snowboard gloves usually do a better job of keeping hands warm and dry for longer rides than any cycling specific gloves when it's very cold in my experience but they can be bulky (my winter commuter is a fixed gear bike so no shifters and no brakes to handle).

I'm probably not the best to advise people on what to wear in the cold, I don't get cold easily... or I do get cold but I handle it well, it doesn't bother me too much, I agree it's probably more a tolerance thing. I was a bike guide in the Pyrénées for two years and it can get very cold in the mountains when temperature drops and rain/snow comes up, it can also change quite fast all of a sudden, but we had a rule for guests without harsh weather experience: if they saw me put some gloves, they should have all their warmest gear on! :mrgreen:

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 11:46 pm
g32ecs wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:57 pm
I'm in Montreal, Canada. I ride year round but in the deep winter mostly to commute to work so when there is a blizzard, freezing rain or ridiculously cold temperatures, it's not so bad because the shortest (and easiest to ride in snow and ice) route to work is just around 10km (it can still take a while when the conditions are very bad). I find legs and upper body never get cold, even if I do 3+ hours at -10° I find pretty much any thermal bibs often good enough, I wear surprisingly little clothes even when it's -30° but then I rarely ride more than an hour.

It's the hands and feet that are harder to keep warm at these temperatures. Merino socks, I have Giro Alpineduro MTB shoes/boots that I don't tighten as much as I would with normal shoes in the summer, they are 'California winter' warm so not that warm but they're okay at keeping my feet dry, I put some water/windproof overshoes for extra warmth and waterproofness when needed. Snowboard gloves usually do a better job of keeping hands warm and dry for longer rides than any cycling specific gloves when it's very cold in my experience but they can be bulky (my winter commuter is a fixed gear bike so no shifters and no brakes to handle).

I'm probably not the best to advise people on what to wear in the cold, I don't get cold easily... or I do get cold but I handle it well, it doesn't bother me too much, I agree it's probably more a tolerance thing. I was a bike guide in the Pyrénées for two years and it can get very cold in the mountains when temperature drops and rain/snow comes up, it can also change quite fast all of a sudden, but we had a rule for guests without harsh weather experience: if they saw me put some gloves, they should have all their warmest gear on! :mrgreen:

Would love to meet and do a no drop ride when Im in MTL. Love your commentary

velomane

by velomane

Dan Gerous wrote:

I appreciate the report. What bike are you on for this? I'm thinking of doing some winter riding this year. Another winter on the trainer is not very appealing.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

g32ecs wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:48 am
Would love to meet and do a no drop ride when Im in MTL. Love your commentary
Are you in Montreal often? DM me in advance if you are and hopefully we can get a ride in! :thumbup:
velomane wrote:
Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:23 am
Dan Gerous wrote:

I appreciate the report. What bike are you on for this? I'm thinking of doing some winter riding this year. Another winter on the trainer is not very appealing.
For long rides I use an old cross bike with full fenders, 1x11, cross tires or tough road slicks. I don't ride it much in winter nowadays as I now live in an apartment, no garage or dirty basement/room so washing bikes is not so practical during winter. There's so much calcium on our roads in winter, you gotta clean it as soon as possible otherwise it really ruins bikes fast and since that bike has a nice history, I'd like to keep it alive.

My other bike for commuting but also for longer winter rides is a fixed bike I got at cost from the shop I was racing for a few years ago. No brakes, no derailleurs, I don't care to leave it outside all dirty all winter long. I use Schwalbe Marathon tires 700x25, they're pretty close to be puncture proof (the only thing worst than flats are flats when it's cold!), last a long time and I find narrower tires are actually better than knobbier wider tires as they cut through snow and slush and sink all the way to the pavement. Spiked tires would be better for the few days it's very icy but there's no clearance for them in my frame so I stay on the same tires no matter what, drop the pressure a bit, pick streets that get de-iced and cleared sooner and just developped better skills over time. It's good training too that I can't coast all winter long, I use strength at super low RPM on climbs, practice spinning at 150RPM on descents.

biwa

by biwa

Slightly OT, been wondering if there is any advantage of wearing shorts + warmers vs. wearing tights (besides the flexibility of taking warmers off if getting hot, but in winter and non-race conditions that's highly unlikely)

mr_tim

by mr_tim

For the UK which is where the OP based on other posts...

You could try the assos winter bib shorts which are water repellent for a light / mid shower but which you can do a decent work out in at say pace ride for 2-3hrs no problem.

Pair those bibs with the winter full length assos leg warmer (the weird cut ones which line up past the side of the leg to the hip almost) and they will give a very good range of temperature. I am good with those bibs in UK cold to about say 4 deg with knee warmers and ok to about 0 with the leg warmer paired up.

This assumes you are using bike with fenders. If you aren't there isn't really anything that will deal with the direct hit of water coming up from the bike.. sad I know but fenders do have a place for making bad weather rides more tolerable.

If it's genuinely raining for the full duration and heavy - you will struggle. If you have a rain screen then you'll end up wet inside instead. Cannot win in that sadly.

Please feedback on what choices you make and experience after.

markyboy

by markyboy

mr_tim wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:36 am
For the UK which is where the OP based on other posts...

You could try the assos winter bib shorts which are water repellent for a light / mid shower but which you can do a decent work out in at say pace ride for 2-3hrs no problem.

Pair those bibs with the winter full length assos leg warmer (the weird cut ones which line up past the side of the leg to the hip almost) and they will give a very good range of temperature. I am good with those bibs in UK cold to about say 4 deg with knee warmers and ok to about 0 with the leg warmer paired up.

This assumes you are using bike with fenders. If you aren't there isn't really anything that will deal with the direct hit of water coming up from the bike.. sad I know but fenders do have a place for making bad weather rides more tolerable.

If it's genuinely raining for the full duration and heavy - you will struggle. If you have a rain screen then you'll end up wet inside instead. Cannot win in that sadly.

Please feedback on what choices you make and experience after.
I have the assos bibs and leg warmers which are fine most of the time,i am starting to commute to work and want to be really warm at 5am.
Looking at the assos habu tights or the deep winter tights,rides are about 45 mins long so need to be warm straight away.
Colnago arabesque campagnolo super record 12
Colnago c64
Cinelli zydeco grx di2