Aftermarket airfoils for bar clamp area?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I know these are marginal gains, but do these exist? I figure filling any unused clamping region near the stem with some corm of clip on airfoil would speed up a bar.

Might be a good winter project to 3d print

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

Never seen such a product.

You'd imagine this would cost little, weight little, but only save a fraction of a watt. I think the fixing method would be the problem to overcome.

Perhaps 4 simple plugs that squeeze into the heads of the 4 bolts used to secure the faceplate...

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

4ibanez wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:47 pm
Never seen such a product.

You'd imagine this would cost little, weight little, but only save a fraction of a watt. I think the fixing method would be the problem to overcome.

Perhaps 4 simple plugs that squeeze into the heads of the 4 bolts used to secure the faceplate...
I am in planning with my brother who has a 3d pri ter. My thought was a two piece sandwich with male and female tabs. But i like your idea also.

I think i will start with jamming the aerobar clamps against the stem, and then making an airfoil that extends the airfoil of the base bars. It will be tricky to do cleanly, as it will also need to house some cables.

Using a felt dagger bar/stem.

I will probably start with a clay mockup to get some baseline shapes/measurements.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:59 am
I know these are marginal gains, but do these exist? I figure filling any unused clamping region near the stem with some corm of clip on airfoil would speed up a bar.
Like the ears on an Aerofly2?

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Karvalo wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 9:50 pm
RocketRacing wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 11:59 am
Like the ears on an Aerofly2?
Pretty much. I was thinking of something more complex that would also airfoilize (tm) the front. But the aerofly design is interesting...

Here is my sketch to my brother, and some quick mockups without any type of measurements he sent me. He was showing me the abilities of the design program. In short, he can make what i need, they key will be fitment/measurements.
8100C7D4-7EE3-4EC3-BC92-DF54AFC82B76.jpeg
B6B994F3-47ED-4DBD-984B-E62E6A3DFFD2.jpeg
C4A81F3E-CD5D-432F-8ACC-153AAE1E328C.jpeg

4ibanez

by 4ibanez

I didn't read your 1st post properly. My idea was more just to "aero up" the face plate area (i.e. block off any nooks and crannies that can catch the air. Still worth thinking about.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com