Discs rubbing in wet and mucky conditions

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tomtom

by tomtom

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 8:28 pm
I only heard the squealing on the last 2 laps in the 4-5 man break, and it sounded like exactly the same bike each time. I wonder whose it was.

Anyway different pads like SwissStop RS (yellow backplate) would have likely stayed silent.
Why? I don't think there is much difference with the standard Shimano pads. Dirt, sand & water are still trown in between pads & disc so still noice :? ? Also....you will miss the cooling (not in rain of course but in warmer circumstances) ribs!
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

Every system has its disadvantages. Discs can rub and squeal.
Forum members will tell you it's your setup and you're not a good mechanic when you say this.
Clearly the mechanics for all these world teams are clueless as well :lol:

fa63

by fa63

I try not to ride when it is raining, but my disc brakes neither squeal nor rub :-) I do hear a lot of howling carbon rim brakes on my group rides however (which is also typically a setup issue).

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Not to make this into a disc vs rim thing again, but if those on discs want to say that rim brakes make noise too, fine... but on balance disc brakes have introduced a new level of rub and noise to group rides that was never there before. And now that we’re in the fall season, and it’s cooler and often damp, even if it isn’t raining, and more people are on discs... well, just consider a set of ear plugs as standard fare for group rides in the winter, because even if “your” discs are perfect, you can bet there will be others that are screeching at every stop or significant slow down. And far more than was ever the case when everyone was on rim brakes. But they do stop. Yay!
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

corky

by corky

As said in other threads they are known as ‘horse scarers’ round our roads......The irony is that the conditions in which they are fated as being superior, namely wet and dirty, is exactly when they are the worst from a rubbing and squealing perspective..

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
I only heard the squealing on the last 2 laps in the 4-5 man break, and it sounded like exactly the same bike each time. I wonder whose it was.

Anyway different pads like SwissStop RS (yellow backplate) would have likely stayed silent.
obviously moscon
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

obviously moscon
It was Moscon's teeth in the sharp corners...

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

At least it wasn’t too windy, poor Moscon. .
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

Dan Gerous wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:53 pm
spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:44 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:

obviously moscon
It was Moscon's teeth in the sharp corners...
yeah that -18% I want no part of in the wet...
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault