Discs rubbing in wet and mucky conditions

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
martlet570

by martlet570

Hi All,

I’m having a lot of pinging, tinging noises etc. from my brakes when riding through either standing water or when it’s raining and riding on English back roads (full of muck etc.). Pulling the brake doesn’t clear the rotor, whether for 2 or 20 seconds, the rubbing is always even worse than before I pulled the brake. It happens on both brakes however the rear is worse. Only once I get on dry/damp roads or a reasonably long fast, clean descent will they clear up and stop making noises. I’ve had both callipers replaced under warranty but this hasn’t changed anything. The brakes have been bled and pistons cleaned numerous times. I think it’s dirt getting on the rotor however the general consensus seems to be that this clears out very quickly and doesn’t last unlike what I’m experiencing. I’ve had finned Shimano pads and currently on Exotherm 2. I’m going to try finless pads and see if that works. After that will be rotors.

In the dry they work perfectly, damp roads are pretty much fine as well, the occasional ping but few and far between.

I’m riding a Supersix Evo Hi-mod Disc first gen with 8070, Hollowgram wheels with XTR 9100 rotors, I’ve had both 140 and 160 in the front and 140 in the rear.

I’m working in a bike shop and we haven’t had a single customer come back with this issue, non of the guys with Shimano brakes have this issue either, two of them have the same rotors as me as well.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this and if so do you have any solutions?

Thanks guys,

Josiah

by Weenie

Lugan

by Lugan

I live in Seattle, so ride similar conditions frequently. All my disc brake bikes, dating back to 20 years, experience the same effect in wet conditions. This is why my rain bike (road bike with permanent fenders/flaps) is still a bike with old style long reach calipers and Hed Ardennes Black wheels. But, I am open to hearing how others have hacked their systems to make disc brakes behave silently in rain...

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Sounds pretty normal to me... If it's nice clean roads that are wet or under the rain it's not so bad, throw a bit of dust, dirt, sand, and it constantly gets thrown in there so even if braking partially clears it, it comes back pretty much as soon as you let go of the brakes. That's why disc brake pads wear out so quickly in these conditions compared to rim brake pads.

Maybe rotors with more or bigger openings would be better in that regard? Not sure... and then, you might lose braking power and they wouldn't cool down as fast...

jfranci3

by jfranci3

You need to jam something in between your closer pad and disc to recenter the pads. https://amzn.to/2lLGwEl Venzo makes a nice one, but I can't find it on a non-sketchy site. https://cyclingdealusa.com/products/ord ... hours-1273

rollinslow

by rollinslow

This is literally happening to Alaphilippe right now as I was the UCI World Championships. He is pissed.

Jugi

by Jugi

Most definitely, if there wasn't some minor brake noise, he would be purely enjoying this wonderful seven hours on the bike.

Calnago

by Calnago

rollinslow wrote:This is literally happening to Alaphilippe right now as I was the UCI World Championships. He is pissed.
Yup... worst conditions I’ve seen in a road race in a long time, yet... rim brakes still everywhere. And yes... Alaphilippe was not happy.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

kgt

by kgt

+1

Calnago

by Calnago

kgt wrote:+1
Geez I hate it when you +1 me. Image
Makes people think we agree on something.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

fa63

by fa63

Disc brakes went 1-2-3 in the Worlds Men's Elite RR...
Last edited by fa63 on Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

c60rider

by c60rider

The screaching those disc brakes made braking on the corners when the motorbike was behind :unbelievable:

Miller

by Miller

Yeah but...
fa63 wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 4:17 pm
Disc brakes went 1-2-3...

Calnago

by Calnago

What?? I can’t hear you over all the screeching.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Maybe the screaching was from the motorbike! :mrgreen:

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I only heard the squealing on the last 2 laps in the 4-5 man break, and it sounded like exactly the same bike each time. I wonder whose it was.

Anyway different pads like SwissStop RS (yellow backplate) would have likely stayed silent.

by Weenie