What items for home 2nd build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

Your views on what items I would need and that you recommend?

-Morgan/Kogel Aqua Proof grease for headset, screws, ita thread bb?
-Carbon paste for seatpost?
-Torque wrench 35-40nm for cassette and ITA thread bb?
-Do I need to buy a fork steer tube cutter/guide? anyway of DIY?
-Protective 3m stickers for chainstay, seat tube, downtube and underside of fork?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rides4beer

by rides4beer

If you have internal routing, I highly recommend the Park Tool IR-1 internal routing kit. Just built my new bike at a friend's house, and he has that kit, made cable and hose routing a breeze!

DeanKRN

by DeanKRN

A chain breaker/quick link tool is probably one of the better things I've bought, you can DIY these to some extent but spending some money on the tools is worth it for the time saved.

The internal routing kit mentioned above is great as well, makes that job so much easier!

silvalis

by silvalis

You could get away with a bike specific saw guide by using a vice and a regular saw guide, but they are pretty cheap so why not. If you don't have a carbon blade yet add that. Fits any std hacksaw. And some fine sandpaper.
If you're cutting an alloy steerer you can use a pipe cutter.

A good bike stand if you don't already have one.

box of gloves if you're messing with hydro
Chasse patate

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Get the guide for the steerer. You'll want to do a second cut and shave a few mm off. You don't need the $40 guide, just the $15 one.

Depending on your cable routing, 12mm heat shrink wrap is a nice way to to clean up cable pairs. Can also be used to help route internal cables.

Boshk

by Boshk

silvalis wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:22 am
You could get away with a bike specific saw guide by using a vice and a regular saw guide, but they are pretty cheap so why not. If you don't have a carbon blade yet add that. Fits any std hacksaw. And some fine sandpaper.
If you're cutting an alloy steerer you can use a pipe cutter.

A good bike stand if you don't already have one.

box of gloves if you're messing with hydro
thanks, didn't know about the carbon blade, thought any fine tooth blade would work.
jfranci3 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 1:50 am
Get the guide for the steerer. You'll want to do a second cut and shave a few mm off. You don't need the $40 guide, just the $15 one.

Depending on your cable routing, 12mm heat shrink wrap is a nice way to to clean up cable pairs. Can also be used to help route internal cables.
thanks, will do on the guide.

galr1

by galr1

A 6-pack of quality beers is a must for a home build!
Seriously though it depends on what you are bulding and how much you want to spend. I've cut multiple steerers just using an old stem as a guide, but would recommend a proper guide if you aren't confident. Don't use a vice in any case, or be very careful if you do.
For bearing cups - worth getting the correct tool or adapter, otherwise you'll risk scratching/rounding the teeth when you install. It can be done without of course, but again if you're not confident use the right tool.
For pressfit buy the correct bushings and removal tool, but a nipple rod and nuts/washers is fine for installing.
Quick link pliers are a great buy, but depends on the chain you are using etc.
Toruque wrench - installing a cassette is one of the few places I don't use one to be honest, so wouldn't buy a higher torque version just for that use. Much more important for the fine 3 - 5 Nm stuff.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com