Creaking Colnago C64

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AJS914

by AJS914

Every time I get an out of the saddle creak, it is my Zipp skewers. If I clean the skewers and the drop outs the noise will go away. Sometimes a tiny drop of oil in the skewer mechanism helps immensely.

That said, it sounds like it's your BB since you have swapped wheels but if it were me I'd still clean my skewers and put some fresh carbon paste on my seatpost and saddle rails just to know for sure.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

To reinforce what was just said, and not to say this is at all applicable to the OP’s issue, is that skewers are the #1 source of creaking imo. Whether they’re not tight enough, not clean, or just way too light and flimsy to ever hope they will provide a large and even clamping force in the dropouts, that’s the first place I’d check if the source isn’t totally obvious. Someone brings me a bike with lightweight skewers to work on, fine... the first thing I’ll do is replace the skewers with some Campy or DA skewers and take it for a test ride. Often, that is the source of the mysterious creak that “wouldn’t go away”.
In the OP’s case, you have to go digging a little further, like maybe as was mentioned the pedal inserts in the crankset. Or, depending on how the frame is constructed, it could even be one of the bolts that secures the seatstays to the dropout, which was finally discovered in a Pinarello I worked on. But it would click on queue with every pedal stroke leading one to believe it had to be something in the crank, BB, or what have you. A new bolt, some permanent threadlocker, and all was good.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TJF

by TJF

@peel8, just wondering if you resolved this issue? I have a C64 Disc and have the same problem. The crank is SRAM DUB and my mechanic and I isolated the CS T45 BB as the source. The bike started creaking from new after around 200km and would go away each time they pulled apart the BB, greased it and put it back together only to reappear. The mechanic then installed a second new CS BB and silence for around 200km then started creaking again.

Did you try Loctite and if so, did it resolve the problem? I am tempted to reinstall the cups and try a BBinfinite one piece.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Last edited by TJF on Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ringo

by Ringo

The c64 bb is the same as c60?
XXTi
C60

TJF

by TJF

I believe the bottom bracket is the same but the C64 has a two piece threaded shell bonded into the frame and the C60 a single piece shell bonded into the frame.

corky

by corky

Did this issue get resolved?......

Serkie

by Serkie

I'm going through similar at the moment.

I swapped out my SRAM PF-30 BB for a Ceramicspeed unit on my Parlee Altum and I've now got a creak that develops under high torque, typically uphill, during a ride. Cranks are SRAM Red Dzero, wheels Enve 3.4 with their titanium skewers.

It's been back to the LBS twice and they thought it was rear derailleur hanger but so far no joy. I might take the cassette off and also clean up the skewers based on ideas from this thread. I can't help feel it's the BB though...

corky

by corky

Yeah, I have a new VRS3 with CS bb. After a couple of weeks it's creaking....

So far,:-

Greased thru axles,
Added more carbon paste to seatpost
Tightened saddle.
Happens out of the saddle too so not seatpost or saddle
Checked bars,stem,shifters
Checked chainrings,
Removed and regreasd pedals
Removed cranks, tried one wavy washer, no wavy washer, 2 wavy washers (this is a Campagnolo record gruppo).
Greased cups, greased wavy washer, tried ungreased, greased hirth joint and joint bolt/washer.
When spinning the cranks with no chain it's as smooth as butter.
When riding under load, creak occurs...

Haven't tried removing the CS cups from the frame as I don't have the tool......
THe ceramic speed BB with the screw in cups was supposed to be the end of my BB woes......

c60rider

by c60rider

What a nightmare this is sounding. My C60 BB86 developed a creak last year 2 1/2 years after I initially installed it with aqua paste. So I took it out and did the loctite method and it's been fine. I always thought if it developed a creak again then I'd probably put the ceramic speed in but I think I'd just get new Colnago and Campag BB86 cups and start fresh.

micky

by micky

I had a bit of mixed luck with my old C60 (tried Tripeak BB and then later Shimano BB86).

Now with C64 and BB86 at first it was perfect but a small creak started to appear; greased every single part, even removed BB and checked everything.
It dissapeared for a while after washing the bike the first time, then came back and lately can't hear anything.
Right now Im in facepalm mode on the subject!

TJF

by TJF

I have reinstalled my threaded CS T45 on C64 with loctite and a so far (200km) it has been silent. I also have had other bikes with pressfit BB's that were creaky and solved with BBInfinite 1-piece BB. If the loctite doesn't work I am going to reinstall Colnago cups and press in BBinfinite BB86 1-piece. LBS concluded that there must be slight tolerance between the CS threads and Colnago threaded sleeves. After discussion with Australian distributor it was agreed to give loctite a try.

ms6073

by ms6073

Everyone talks about the good old days of threaded bottom brackets but back in the day, I had creaking issues with what is now referred to as BSA 24 as well as ISIS threaded bottom brackets. Since the T45/T47 threaded cups seem similar, I wanted to mention we used to wrap threads with teflon plumbers tape when they creaked, which typically solved the problem.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I use something similar to teflon tape but it is Loctite 567 pipe sealant which has teflon in its contents and is a white paste that stays flexible but does cure somewhat. It keeps the moisture and dirt out of the threads and even years after can be removed without too much fuss. I have been using it for years. There is a few variations of Loctite pipe sealant that has some slightly different applications. I know Calnago always talked about Morgan Blue Aquaproof Paste which is likely somewhat the same and I know he used it on a regular basis for BB. Normally when I have a creak there is a checklist I go over that is simple and quick.
Clean dropouts front and back
Pull pedals clean threads on spindles and threads in crank, regrease
clean axles where contact is made in dropouts
Retorque chainring fasteners

One thing many have mentioned before is the lightweight Titanium squewers which can make noise all on their own. A simple thing to do is replace them and go for a quick trial spin to see if that is possibly the source. And just because they didnt make noise in the past doesnt mean they never will as everything has a fatigue factor.
Link for the Loctite and the manufacturer is Henkel if you want the actual source.

https://www.tenaquip.com/product/loctit ... pcQAvD_BwE
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

corky wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 4:53 pm
Yeah, I have a new VRS3 with CS bb. After a couple of weeks it's creaking....

So far,:-

Greased thru axles,
Added more carbon paste to seatpost
Tightened saddle.
Happens out of the saddle too so not seatpost or saddle
Checked bars,stem,shifters
Checked chainrings,
Removed and regreasd pedals
Removed cranks, tried one wavy washer, no wavy washer, 2 wavy washers (this is a Campagnolo record gruppo).
Greased cups, greased wavy washer, tried ungreased, greased hirth joint and joint bolt/washer.
When spinning the cranks with no chain it's as smooth as butter.
When riding under load, creak occurs...

Haven't tried removing the CS cups from the frame as I don't have the tool......
THe ceramic speed BB with the screw in cups was supposed to be the end of my BB woes......
I have the CS BB in my V2R and it has been np for two years now but I did just grease the brgings couple days ago as it was dry. I used the Loctite Pipe sealant on the threaded cups. All the creaks I have had so far are from other areas. It looks like you have been pretty thorough from the list you have. I found that grease never lasted very long on the threaded cups of BB.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Greatestalltime

by Greatestalltime

I had what I and two different shops thought was a BB issue.

After switching BB, chains, and switching pedals etc. with no relief from the creeking another mechanic found the issue.

My drive side crank arm had a hairline crack right below the writing 172.5. They were DA 9000. Got a. 9100 on warranty.

I miss the finish of the 9000.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk