Creaking Colnago C64

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

txomin

by txomin

KOGEL BEARINGS Aquaproof Paste by Morgan Blue | 200 ml

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

corky

by corky

robertbb wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:50 am
corky wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:04 pm
Yes, pretty much a year now with no creaks since rectifying the bottom bracket.... very happy.
Once I'd inspected the inside of the BB area the excess epoxy was quite obvious.....removed with a box cutter/Stanley knife blade and filed smooth with a rat tail file...... I hope you have a similar outcome
And you had to do this on a frame that retails for how much again? :shock:
What can I say..... so I could have stripped bike, taken it to the LBS, who would then have sent it to the distributor, who in most probability would then send it to somewhere else to be rectified.....all in I'd say at,least a couple of months. Me circa 1 hr to fix.
.......I'm a pragmatist.

It's the modern way with carbon bikes I'm afraid...... they are a commodity, no matter how much you pay. They are not faced, alignment is probably a token pass, certainly not alignment table, holes are not checked for roundness . But hey they are light and stiff and go round corners on rails. :noidea:

HappyGuy

by HappyGuy

"It's the modern way with carbon bikes I'm afraid...... they are a commodity, no matter how much you pay. They are not faced, alignment is probably a token pass, certainly not alignment table, holes are not checked for roundness . But hey they are light and stiff and go round corners on rails. :noidea:"
I'd agree. Road bike, mtb bike, gravel, it don't matter. Carbon doesn't like metal. It'll creak no matter how much was paid for it. Put the paste in and torque it gently, even BELOW spec. when it comes to bb's.
Corky: Do you have time to reply to my question on page 4 about torque? I'm curious to know where you stopped at since I share the same WM bb that I installed recently.
2016 Time Skylon w/Sram Force 22 and Boyd 60's
2020 Merida 8000e w/Sram Force AXS and Token 52's

corky

by corky

HappyGuy wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 2:15 pm
"It's the modern way with carbon bikes I'm afraid...... they are a commodity, no matter how much you pay. They are not faced, alignment is probably a token pass, certainly not alignment table, holes are not checked for roundness . But hey they are light and stiff and go round corners on rails. :noidea:"
I'd agree. Road bike, mtb bike, gravel, it don't matter. Carbon doesn't like metal. It'll creak no matter how much was paid for it. Put the paste in and torque it gently, even BELOW spec. when it comes to bb's.
Corky: Do you have time to reply to my question on page 4 about torque? I'm curious to know where you stopped at since I share the same WM bb that I installed recently.
Hi didn't reply as I didn't use the WM bb, I used Ceramic speed BB, installed with Park tools tool, can't remember the torque off hand but followed their(CS) instructions.

robertbb

by robertbb

corky wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 11:22 am
robertbb wrote:
Thu Sep 16, 2021 1:50 am
corky wrote:
Sat Sep 11, 2021 2:04 pm
Yes, pretty much a year now with no creaks since rectifying the bottom bracket.... very happy.
Once I'd inspected the inside of the BB area the excess epoxy was quite obvious.....removed with a box cutter/Stanley knife blade and filed smooth with a rat tail file...... I hope you have a similar outcome
And you had to do this on a frame that retails for how much again? :shock:
What can I say..... so I could have stripped bike, taken it to the LBS, who would then have sent it to the distributor, who in most probability would then send it to somewhere else to be rectified.....all in I'd say at,least a couple of months. Me circa 1 hr to fix.
.......I'm a pragmatist.

It's the modern way with carbon bikes I'm afraid...... they are a commodity, no matter how much you pay. They are not faced, alignment is probably a token pass, certainly not alignment table, holes are not checked for roundness . But hey they are light and stiff and go round corners on rails. :noidea:
Yeah I get you. Wasn't a dig your way, just an observation of the (lack of) quality and workmanship on bikes that get marketed on quality and workmanship.