Stiffest aero machine...Cipollini NK1K vs Canyon Aeroad

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nestornnk

by nestornnk

I have both and i can say that they are extremely stiff,the RB1K is stiffer but hard to notice the difference.
RB1K is much faster but NK1K much more comfortable.Mainly due to geometry.

If you are looking for pure performance then it should be the RB1K

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Thank you! I´m curious about this
RB1K is much faster
I thought they will be about the same in terms of speed, actually NK1K looks more aero(frame shapes, lowered seatstays).
Could it be just result of much aggresive and low ,,aero´´ position on your RB1K? Or do you have the same aggressive setup on both? NK1K with 0 stack spacer and -17 stem should be just as low as RB1K with some spacer and standard stem.
Or is the RB1K really more aero and faster?

To be honest I was more leaning towards NK1K, just because of it´s look :)

Btw I´m talking about newer version of RB(The One), because they finally got rid of ISP.

kgt

by kgt

I bet that in terms of aerodynamics no one can measure which frame has less drag. And certainly these are frames that are aero more in terms of looks than in terms of design (fat tubes, exposed cables, exposed brakes etc.).
Obviously you can get a lower position on the RB1k and end up being very aero just because of this. However, not even pro riders slam their stems on a RB1k frame. It is really the frame with the most agressive geometry in the market.

In any case these are among the most interesting and special carbon frames one can buy today IMHO.

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Still not decided... :(
Btw. exposed cables and brakes has gen II Cervelo S5(less drag than new gen III S5) too and it´s fastest aero bike except Madone, so I don´t think it´s a big issue in terms of aero.
I know there´s no aero data, so probably only owner of both models can tell some subjective judgement.

kgt I agree with you there´s probably not much aero difference between both models, RB1K is really low, NK1K has more stack, but seems to be slightly more aero(tube shapes, low seatstays,..)

NK1K was love at first sight, but I like new The One in Anthracite Shiny pretty much too, both look great in person. If the frame stiffness and climbing abilities is similar, it will be hard decision. Pity I cannot afford both :)

kgt

by kgt

My advice: If you are obsessed with aerodynamics look elsewhere. IMHO the aerodynamic drag of the frame alone has almost zero contribution to the total drag but still, Cipollini are not frames designed by aero experts. However, if you can ride a RB1k without spacers then this is certainly the most aero rider-bike combo in the market.

So, if you want a very well made frame, that is exclusive, performs great, and looks awesome buy the Cipolllini. If the aerodynamics of the frame are important for you there are many other frames to consider.

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

No, not really obsessed, I just want the fastest bike for my money in this extreme price range. Anyway the NK1K´s shapes looks very aero IMO, but probably some aerocockpit(Metron 5D?) is a must.

I´ve only short ride on RB1K, so cannot tell judgement, it even wasn´t my size. There´s still wasn´t a chance to test ride the NK1K, but the stiffness and power transfer on the RB1K impressed me!

Anyway I´am sure I´ll go for one of these, no matter aero or weight. Do you think the power transfer and stiffness is same on NK1K?

kgt

by kgt

Pretty much yes. I used to ride a Bond which is not a full monocoque and it was super stiff at the BB. Full monocoques like NK1K and RB1K are even stiffer. Again, IME Cipollini are super interesting frames with a unique 'character'. There is nothing like that in the market.

ReactiveE

by ReactiveE

Looks like you are Cipo lover and I absolutely understand it. Gorgeous bikes(and piece of art too). If I don´t change my mind, I´m going to order NK1K during next week.
If the performance and stiffness is similar to RB1K, I´ll go for NK1K, in terms of look it´s a winner.

kgt

by kgt

Yes, I enjoyed my Bond a lot. I prefer the frame I have now but I still find Cipollini frames very interesting.
NK1K is a wiser choice IMHO, less aggresive.

montana05

by montana05

Forget about Cipo bikes: 2 friends of mine had problems with cracks and after many months got a negative response through the dealership from Cipo bikes. Here in Italy where I'm at ( le Marche) 3 big well known bike shops don't do business anymore with Cipobikes....

GS100

by GS100

montana05 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:00 pm
Forget about Cipo bikes: 2 friends of mine had problems with cracks and after many months got a negative response through the dealership from Cipo bikes. Here in Italy where I'm at ( le Marche) 3 big well known bike shops don't do business anymore with Cipobikes....
Just revisiting this thread in light of the recent well- publicised issues with Aeroad seatposts and bars.. Also to respond to Montano's comment

Here in the UK my NK1K issue was dealt with well, promptly considering covid and I'm loving the ride. I can't imagine an aeroad being any stiffer than the Cipo for power transfer and you don't have the issue of flawed proprietary parts that might fail, 'aero' though they may be..

I do think you'd have to be a bit mad to go for Canyon at the moment and presumably it's a job to actually source one right now anyway.

lisu

by lisu

montana05 wrote:
Sat Oct 12, 2019 4:00 pm
Forget about Cipo bikes: 2 friends of mine had problems with cracks and after many months got a negative response through the dealership from Cipo bikes.
I have plenty of paintcracks on my cipo (RB800), back then warr refused by cipo warranty service.... I assume it's because color is soooo intense and it needs a lot of paint to be puttet on the frame to get it there, Planning to reapint it as it's already 6yo and I'm nit bored with the color, anyway...still love this bike..not the lightest but super stiff

and NOT a chance for Aeroad to be stiffer than ANY Cipo..