Stiffest aero machine...Cipollini NK1K vs Canyon Aeroad

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Zorka

Stiffest aero machine...Cipollini NK1K vs Canyon Aeroad

Post by Zorka »

Looking for some stiff aero frameset and these seems to be the best in my eyes.
What would be your pick?

I´ve heard that NK1K is insanely stiff, but there´s no aero lab data. On the other side Aeroad-current gen is aero proven but stiffness is questionable, I´ve read different owner reviews, anyway I like it´s look.

About pricing, NK1K can be mine for about the same price as Aeroad at my local dealer. Although Aeroad SLX frameset is not availible now, I expect it will be in next months.

I know it´s not aero bike but I considered now discounted Ultimate CF Evo too. With 60mm wheels it could be pretty aero, but don´t know much about it´s stiffness. Not sure if it´s something special compared to standard SLX, except weight of course.

Thanks for all inputs.

andreas

Re: Stiffest aero machine...Cipollini NK1K vs Canyon Aeroad

Post by andreas »

A new Aeroad frame is due for a release (on paper anyway) the coming Sunday.

Zorka

Post by Zorka »

I know about that, I´m watching Aeroad thread, but I seriously doubt there will be rim brake option, so for the moment considering current gen Aeroad.

Karvalo

Post by Karvalo »

Honestly it's tricky to figure out what you're looking for or what your question is. The NK1K might not be aero enough but then you're thinking about an Ultimate anyway?

What do you want from the bike?

RedbullFiXX

Post by RedbullFiXX »

I ride an XS Aerod RB
It climbs exceedingly well
Stiff out of the saddle, the ride is not quite as nice as the Ultimate, having said that, it is plenty comfy to ride all day long
I'm no Sprinter, so can't give much feedback on that
Attachments
XSaeroad.jpg
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

kgt

Post by kgt »

Nk1k will be a very good performer, balanced and stable. It is heavier for a reason: really stiff and robust in every aspect, best suited to sprinters. Nk1k is a real monocoque and, believe me, you can feel that. The way it feels articulated and composed is really unique. It is extremely well beautiful too, with its 1k Toraya carbon weave 100% made in Italy (or Bosnia-Herzegovina).
Canyon frames are top in terms of performance: aero, light and stiff. They are just generic made in China frames though, just many others. Not that spacial as items themselves.
Canyon will be and feel lighter, more 'nervous' and responsive. Nk1k will be and feel heavier, it will need more watts to 'wake up'. It will also feel more stiff overall and more 'luxurious'. It is like comparing a Porsche (Canyon) to a fast Bentley (Cipollini) in a way.
It depends on what you prefer.

Jugi

Post by Jugi »

I haven't ridden one, but Giant Propel has been depicted as a stiff & responsive racing machine in many instances. The rim brake model is bit dated at the moment, but it represents "peak aero" just like the Aeroad.

kevinw

Post by kevinw »

Ridley Noah Fast comes with rim brakes - 3 stages of tour de France would indicate it's ok for sprinting.

Can't go too far wrong with the Aeroad though, I'd just wait until you know what's going on with the new version to decide to get that or get a deal on the current one.

AGB

Post by AGB »

Are you sure you want the Nk1k ?
One of the guys in the Sunday century ride group has one with full Campag SR/Bora's etc and he says it knocks his fillings out?
I have recently picked up a Propel 19 SL0 and have to admit it rides very similar to my TCR SL0 - light/responsive - a tad slower than the TCR due to the deeper rim wheels....assuming it would ride very close to the TCR otherwise, same carbon fiber etc. But so much faster.
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.35kg sans

Zorka

Post by Zorka »

Thanks for all inputs.
Yes, when I saw Evo discounted I immediately started thinking about it, it´s not an aero bike but has some aero features and with deep section wheels can be very aero. More than that I was expecting it´s especially stiff, but according to some reviews it´s probably nothing special compared to standard SLX.

I respect Noah and Propel´s performance but they definitely are not for me. Look is also important and I´ll choose between Aeroad and NK1K.

@kgt there´s only about 120g difference between both frames, while NK1K should be notably stiffer in BB and HT...why you think it needs more watts to wake it up? Let´s say Aeroad will be 6,7kg and Cipo 6,85kg on the same components.

@AGB Is it really so bad? I´m not looking for comfortable frame, although Aeroad(gen II) should be more comfortable than Cipo.
Greatest BB/HT stiffness and decent aero is my target.

kgt

Post by kgt »

I think that because of its construction that it feels more 'heavy'. It is no coincidence that track frames which are super stiff are all full monocoques. You will not find a tube to tube track frame among the top perfrormers. Cipollini RB1k and Nk1k are also 100% monocoques. That makes a very stiff frame that feels (and is) like one piece from the headset to the rear derailleur.
That is why I say that it does need some power in order to respond. It is just how it feels, not that in terms of numbers you will see any difference.

Wookski

Post by Wookski »

NK1K- for the looks and ridiculousness alone, there is no comparison.

demoCRIT

Post by demoCRIT »

Wookski wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:37 pm
NK1K- for the looks and ridiculousness alone, there is no comparison.
this!

Zorka

Post by Zorka »

Agree with above, NK1K is real looker. Anyway I hope it will be better performer than Aeroad too.
Because the decision was made, Cipo is ordered :)

ReactiveE

Post by ReactiveE »

Sorry for thread hijacking, I´d like to ask you guys, which one would you get, RB1K or NK1K?

I know RB is much more agressive, but if we are talking about stiffness, aero and overall performance, which one is a leader?