Help identify CAAD model

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

iddqd

by iddqd

Hi All, first time poster here.

I'm about to order a custom frame, and I would like to use the geometry from my CAAD frame.
I was told it was a caad 7 when purchasing the fram a couple of years back, but im not entirely sure. Also incredibly hard to find geometry charts for that model.
cannondale archives arent really any help, neither is vintagecannondale.com

I would appreciate any help to identify this bike!
IMG_2834.jpg
(No model decals when i bought it)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

I own CAAD7 and CAAD9 bicycles. The CAAD9 says CAAD9 on the seattube. The CAAD7 is an R2000 frame I built up. Using Google it seems the R2000 was a CAAD7 frame. Your frames look similar to mine. Downtube is triangle shaped at the headtube then big and round at the bottom bracket. All other tubes are round. Whereas my CAAD9 has round tubes everywhere. I suppose you could look at the serial number on the bottom bracket and contact Cannondale to see when your frame was made. Probably early to mid 2000s. When the CAAD7 was in production. Cannondale geometry for these bikes is great. Use it for your custom frame. Here are some websites with CAAD7 geometry. I think most of the CAAD geometries were identical. So a CAAD9 geometry would work great too.

https://geometrygeeks.bike/bike/cannond ... timo-2003/
https://www.google.com/search?q=cannond ... 0xjcd0J6GM:

logy

by logy

Caad 7

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

iddqd

by iddqd

Thanks for the feedback!

Seen a lot of comparison online to the caad8, but that one seems to have a more sloping top tube which made me heditate to use it.

RussellS

by RussellS

iddqd wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:01 am
Seen a lot of comparisons online to the caad8, but that one seems to have a more sloping top tube which made me hesitate to use it.
My CAAD7 and CAAD9 frames look pretty similar to each other. Probably have almost identical geometry. Both have perfectly flat, straight, NOT sloping toptube. I would find it hard to believe Cannondale put a sloping CAAD8 in between two horizontal frames.

iddqd

by iddqd

RussellS wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 3:32 am
iddqd wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:01 am
Seen a lot of comparisons online to the caad8, but that one seems to have a more sloping top tube which made me hesitate to use it.
My CAAD7 and CAAD9 frames look pretty similar to each other. Probably have almost identical geometry. Both have perfectly flat, straight, NOT sloping toptube. I would find it hard to believe Cannondale put a sloping CAAD8 in between two horizontal frames.
I think it matter what year we are talking about. The newer caad8's seem to have a geometry closer to the systemsix, with more angle on the top tube. And most of the geometry charts i've seen don't specify what model year it is about, so I take some precaution and stay away. 2011 caad on linked image.

RussellS

by RussellS

iddqd wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:41 pm
I think it matter what year we are talking about. The newer caad8's seem to have a geometry closer to the systemsix, with more angle on the top tube.
The angle of the toptube or how mich it slopes, is completely irrelevant. The seattube angle, headtube angle, and length of toptube are all measured based on a completely horizontal line to the ground. If you decide a 72 degree seattube angle and a 73 degree headtube angle are right for you, then how the seattube and headtube are connected is irrelevant. You could connect them with a wavy, curly tube and it would not affect how you sit on the bike.

As for CAAD7, 8, 9 having the same or similar geometry, I assume they do. But you would need to get a geometry chart for every model for every year and compare them. But I don't think bike companies change the geometry on models in the middle of their lifespan very much. Its costly to change geometry. It costs time and effort to reprogram all the welders and tube cutters to make a different tube length, angle. Unless there is a really good reason for it, you don't do it.

iddqd

by iddqd

The angle of the toptube is highly relevant to me.
I do understand basic trigonometry. Id like to make as little assumptions as possible but i think i can manage from here on out. Thanks for your input

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

From an aesthetics point of view, how much a top tube slopes, as well as how it joins up with the other tubes, whether it’s curved or straight, how cohesive the entire package looks, is highly relevant. It can mean the difference between “ugly as sin” or “yeah, that’s a good lookin bike”. Subjective for sure, but irrelevant, not even close.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mythical

by mythical

Looks to me like a repainted '03 or '04 CAAD7 Optimo with classic decals. The fork looks to be retrofitted and is a '05 or '06 Cannondale Slice Premium+ originally from a Six13.

I have a 54cm CAAD12 and its geometry is spot on for me. I believe it's nearly identical geometry to that of the CAAD7. Cannondale hasn't change geometry much throughout the years, hence I knew with confidence that a CAAD12 would fit me without even test riding one.

Yours could be a 53cm. Measure the head tube length and compare here: https://web.archive.org/web/20060426063 ... geo-7.html or here: https://web.archive.org/web/20080122104 ... eo-14.html (same geometries, different years)

Aside from the geometry, make sure you find a fork with 45mm rake and good luck on your custom frame.
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira