SkyPivot——A superlight carbon crankset from China

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

philipeleven

by philipeleven

Have just done some change to the mould. It is nothing related to performance but just make it look better.
IMG_33911.jpg
IMG_33951.jpg
IMG_33931.jpg
IMG_33941.jpg
Here is the old one.
IMG_33981.jpg
IMG_35711.jpg

And.... weight of the pm version.... :D
IMG_35651.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

none

by none

Too much.

cajer

by cajer

That's an amazingly low weight for the PM version. How much will it cost? Also can I pick up a set when I'm in Guangzhou in Oct? :D

Also have you considered an aero crank/spider with power meter design?

integration

by integration

Looks pretty cool 👍 how is the stiffness as compared to Sram Red, Campy Super Record, Easton, THM, SWorks? I'm very interested and would love to see some testing vs. the competition.

Any thoughts on having a version with graphics be more subdued? They're pretty loud, imho.

tmchen

by tmchen

The new mold looks nice.

So will this be compatible with Campy BSA? Sorry if this has been answered before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

philipeleven

by philipeleven

tmchen wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:30 pm
The new mold looks nice.

So will this be compatible with Campy BSA? Sorry if this has been answered before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not compatible with campy BB shell of course...since their bearing is install on the spindle

However it's ok to use BSA30 and ITA30 BB, which have BSA or ITA thread and 30mm spindle support.

elfuinha

by elfuinha

The Crank looks really good.

1 - A matte with very small logo would be great. To me large graphics imply the product needs these graphics to have attention... And leaves me with the impression of a cheap product. The no graphics option would be a plus. A 3K cosmetic finish also would great.

2 - really like the pedal tread design... Looks solid.

3 - a spider interface That doesn't creak would be good... And compatible with major PM brands or at least that calls their interest in developing a compatible spider.

4 - Durability will wait to see real world use...

Great Job. Looking forward to see more.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

I know the spindle are 30mm diameter, so it fit both bb30(and PF30) and bb386.
But is there a difference in stiffness when installing in bb386 (wide stance bearing seat) against bb30 mode (narrow stance bearing seat) +spacers?
I assume that all the test was done in bb386 mode, right?

nickf

by nickf

none wrote:
Sun Sep 29, 2019 1:42 am
Too much.
Maybe it's not for you then?

$450-$500 is about where top shelf cranks from the big 3 come in at.

none

by none

nickf wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 4:30 am

Maybe it's not for you then?

$450-$500 is about where top shelf cranks from the big 3 come in at.
If a small company want to charge "big 3" make sure it come with similar quality as "big 3" or customer service,
or does this company has similar R&D budget as "big 3"
All the often built into the cost of "big 3" pricing.

Without those product qualities.. would you pay for "big 3" pricing?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

So its similar to the big 3 $ wise but closer to the boutique brands in weight but you want them to give them away at 3rd tier prices?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

none

by none

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:20 pm
So its similar to the big 3 $ wise but closer to the boutique brands in weight but you want them to give them away at 3rd tier prices?
That's a good stradigy to gain market share if you can affort it as a start-up.

Broady

by Broady

It's hard to up prices once established though.

nickf

by nickf

I would think a big factor in pricing especially for a small niche brand is the manufacturing volume. That will surely have an effect on pricing. If he were to put an order into his suppliers for 2000 units maybe the price would come down. Even still I think the price point is jam on. Again if the finished product is delivered with said weight, stiffness, compatibility.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

none wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:25 pm
Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Sep 30, 2019 1:20 pm
That's a good stradigy to gain market share if you can affort it as a start-up.
When competing against virtual giants like Shimano, no, it's not. He's never going to gain significant portions of Shimano's market share so there's absolutely zero reason to worry about being competitive on price with them. In my opinion, he has a few options depending on how his manufacturing costs work out:

1. Assuming this crank is not cheap to produce, price it accordingly. 4-5X cost for retail pricing, at least 2X for distributors. Let the market determine if this is a legitimate product. If it sells, great. He's making money on it. If it doesn't, best to look elsewhere if he wants to establish a brand. Giving product away (selling too close to actual cost) is a quick way to burn through a lot of money especially if self-funded.
2. If he's figured out a better process than others that yields a cheaper-to-produce but lighter/stiffer/etc. crank, price by what the market will bear. That gives the option to offer heavy discount to distributors and/or retail customers when desired. The ideal place to be for those few who can figure it out.