SkyPivot——A superlight carbon crankset from China

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

If the product delivers it's claims I think the pricing is spot on. Lightning is $750usd and THM is well North of $1000usd.
Last edited by nickf on Fri Sep 27, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otoman

by otoman

Good point.

I agree with some of the previous comments about the graphics being a bit overwrought. A bit 2004 if you ask me. Consider a matte option and a ghosted option. The current graphics cheapen the overall appearance.

I love the removable spider option but only insofar as a good quality spider based power meter is able to be mounted. Coordinating with an old Rotor mount style or any standard mount style as mentioned by others above would be great, even if it adds a few grams.
Age and treachery shall overcome youth and skill

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

Why would anyone get this over a Sram Force/Red, Ultegra/DA , Hollowgram crank? Those are light, stiff, and most importantly, reliable and have large parents companies with good follow up service?
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

C36

by C36

skyliner1004 wrote:Why would anyone get this over a Sram Force/Red, Ultegra/DA , Hollowgram crank? Those are light, stiff, and most importantly, reliable and have large parents companies with good follow up service?
Lighter and stiffer? The reason people go to clavicula no?
Could also add the pleasure to own something more exclusive ?

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

joejack951

by joejack951

C36 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 6:49 pm
Could also add the pleasure to own something more exclusive ?
Agreed. Lame as it may seem, a crankset represents a fairly large statement piece on a bike. Only the frame and wheels occupy more surface area in a typical driveside view. I love seeing a non-standard (non-Shimano/SRAM/Campy) crankset on a bike, especially when it is well integrated into the component selection. If that same crank offers lower weight and better stiffness at the same time then I'd be more than happy to pay a premium for it. I paid $400+ for a Stronglight Pulsion back in 2005 because it was a. light and b. fairly exclusive. I paid even more for a Stronglight Fission in 2009 for the same reasons. Both are heavier than this new crank, too, and while mine never did, Pulsions had a bad habit of cracking.

nickf

by nickf

skyliner1004 wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 5:40 pm
Why would anyone get this over a Sram Force/Red, Ultegra/DA , Hollowgram crank? Those are light, stiff, and most importantly, reliable and have large parents companies with good follow up service?
I think the lightest crank from one of the big 3 is the SRAM Red BB30 exogram? Mine comes in at 357g, 110bcd, 172.5. That crankset will only fit a PF30, BB30. Pretty limited frame selection. This one is showing 320g and will fit a wider variety of bikes. So it will be lighter, their numbers are showing it to be stiffer then SRAM Force, and a competitive price point. Go look into the Shimano crank failure thread, let me know what you think then about reliability. I have replaced 3 personally on customers bikes, with stories of many more failures. SRAM threaded pedal inserts coming unbonded on the carbon cranks, again the big 3 can't even get it 100% reliable.

I agree with the others, no graphics! Matte finish ftw.

mythical

by mythical

As someone who has developed various cranksets, including the one on the 2.7kg world lightest bike and most recently with 3D-printed titanium arms, I hereby congratulate you on your working prototypes that passed industry standard testing.

It's a veritable challenge to develop a strong enough crankset with all the loads involved, let alone a carbon one, that also passes ISO 4210:8 2014 and can be produced in series, and I sincerely hope you will make it a commercial success. :D :thumbup:
“I always find it amazing that a material can actually sell a product when it’s really the engineering that creates and dictates how well that material will behave or perform.” — Chuck Teixeira

philipeleven

by philipeleven

thks for all the supportings. As a designer for E-bikes, race frames, components, I would say a well-engineered crankest is something good to start a new brand. Not as overflow and cliche as handlebars/stems/seatpost, they needs only short time and less money to develop but you will got soooo many compatitors. And a complete bike/road frame? it also something easy to make(chinese factories...you know), but very hard to propagated. A crankset is something needs good design(varient of ways to achieve a good outcome) , proper process control, high-end materials,and at last, not so many opponents.

I think to those who stick to a complete groupset for centuries, they won't even look at it. But during my cycling career, I always try to replace those not so extreme parts of the
groupsets, especially the crank. I use a 08' record crank with 6700 groupset, a campy bora ultra crank with etap groupset(TT bike), a red quarq with 6870 groupset…it's not only for the weight that saves,but also for the strong feelings of owning a unique bike with some beautifully engineered parts.

for this crankset, it's kind of a reverse thinking product. Normally says it's theoretically lighter to build a one-piece crank(intergrated spider, spindle,or even both legs), and more generality to build it separated. But to my knowledge, building a intergrated crank is a difficult job to control weight/stiffness/strength, because the complexity of the carbonfiber layer-ups. You have to choose between bad consistency control(like thm, the se crankset can be as light as 275g, and as heavy as 310g, it's not somthing the paint can explain), or a conserve weight( just, use foams inside instead of air bags, much easier to lay up)

It proved we can achieve both lightweight and generality. By elminlate all aluminum parts inside the crank leg, we managed to save approx 30-40 grams for one leg, and leave those complexity to the stand alone spindle. It sounds easy but it's a difficult choice to make from the beginning. Can it pass tests? how much weight can we acchieve(like thm level or just sram level?) how is the durability? Can people acceept the speical interface? nothing for sure at the beginning because no one has try it.

Hope this could be a satisfy answer to your questions…… :D

philipeleven

by philipeleven

mythical wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 8:53 pm
As someone who has developed various cranksets, including the one on the 2.7kg world lightest bike and most recently with 3D-printed titanium arms, I hereby congratulate you on your working prototypes that passed industry standard testing.

It's a veritable challenge to develop a strong enough crankset with all the loads involved, let alone a carbon one, that also passes ISO 4210:8 2014 and can be produced in series, and I sincerely hope you will make it a commercial success. :D :thumbup:
here comes great expert, flattered :D :D

Hexsense

by Hexsense

philipeleven wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:53 pm
By elminlate all aluminum parts inside the crank leg,
You still preserve aluminum on the pedal thread, right?

I don't trust carbon fiber thread on the pedal mount. It may work fine at first but frequent pedal swap (like moving power meter pedal around multiple bikes) will destroy carbon thread.

philipeleven

by philipeleven

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:05 pm
philipeleven wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:53 pm
By elminlate all aluminum parts inside the crank leg,
You still preserve aluminum on the pedal thread, right?

I don't trust carbon fiber thread on the pedal mount. It may work fine at first but frequent pedal swap (like moving power meter pedal around multiple bikes) will destroy carbon thread.
yes of course. carbon thread simply can't pass tests. but we use a 4 grams(3.4 for thread part and 0.6 for spacer) rivet-like alu part(just like LOOK, but no length adjustment), and use FEA to determine the pentagon shape——it's something can endure maximum torque and still the lightest,compare to square and hexagon.

and it also cover the air bag exist hole. It's the only way to cover it without sacrifce weight and strength.
微信图片_20190928051034.png

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

philipeleven wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 am
So I'm going with Al-Li alloy or super stiff plastics (something like PEEK+CF compound, up to 32GPa/g stiffness to weight ratio, compare to 7075's 26GPa/g. but it's a long jounery to make and test it.)
Did you estimate how much such a spindle would be lighter by? I mean, drop ~25g and the Skypivot would weigh the same as Clavicula SE, but still be several hundred dollars cheaper, have PM compatibility and modular design - a holy grail WW crank.

philipeleven

by philipeleven

Klaster_1 wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 6:33 am
philipeleven wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:32 am
So I'm going with Al-Li alloy or super stiff plastics (something like PEEK+CF compound, up to 32GPa/g stiffness to weight ratio, compare to 7075's 26GPa/g. but it's a long jounery to make and test it.)
Did you estimate how much such a spindle would be lighter by? I mean, drop ~25g and the Skypivot would weigh the same as Clavicula SE, but still be several hundred dollars cheaper, have PM compatibility and modular design - a holy grail WW crank.
yes it's near that. the alu parts(spider, bolts and spindle) could save about 20grams and titanium screws save about 3-4grams(still using steel screws on the spider)

but those materials are quite expensive though...

none

by none

Cranks look nice..
how much do they cost?
ship internationally?

AZR3

by AZR3

none wrote:
Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:22 pm
Cranks look nice..
how much do they cost?
philipeleven wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:53 am
400-450 dollars for separated spider version and 500-550 for one piece chainring version

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com