SkyPivot——A superlight carbon crankset from China

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

philipeleven

by philipeleven

Nautiboy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:43 pm
Hi philipeleven, it is admirable for you(or the company) to solicit feedback before finalising on the product and manufacturing it. I have a few highend bikes and i change them every 6-9months with components that i like to test. So, here is my contribution to you...

- Who is your benchmark? I will suggest THM Clavicula. I had SRAM Red carbon (soft and flexes), SWORKS (stiffer) and THM M3 to the latest.... If I want lightweight and stiff, I will only buy THM. So if you can surpass them technically - I will buy yours.
- Pricepoint - It doesn't mean from China is has to be cheap, but reality of branding/value /price ratio will always be there. Being new in the market and to promote sales, the price differential must be there, maybe E$600?
- Finishes/Logo/Naming - Someone already mentioned this and is so true for me, so please pay attention there. For finishes, I find that the latest Campagnolo WTO wheelset carbon finish is the best in the market, you should really take a look at it. It makes ENVE looks like from china.

I love testing gears and work closely with Ridea Taiwan. If you need real world testing or further discussion on distribution - please kindly PM me and we can take it from there.

Have a good day ahead : )

The original idea is to try something lighter than THM and have PM support ability——since I discovered that there are chaos lay-ups and resin pile up in the THM clavicula, It came to me that maybe we could build something utilize the carbon-fiber better. It is ok for me to use a weight limited version which could be less stiff and strength (like THM——I strongly think that weight limits of the THM crankset, 120kg and 105kg, is actually the weight they use in the fatigue test, instead of the hightest 180kgf standard), but we figured out that it is safer and more secure to launch a no weight limit version at the beginning.

The brand incolor is a famous custom paint studio in China actually. I think many people could remember those facial-makeup helmets used by Chinese track cyclists in 2016 Rio Olympics. It is the work of this studio. So it will be no trust issue in China because they have build up very good reputation this years. It is just can't link this name to that famous artwork among western people though.

The surface quality is something we are improving. since the carbon layers is quite thick, It has some limits on how we could select the surface finish pattern. We are now using chaos carbon fibers to eliminate small bubbles on the surface, but I do hope we could get rid of them gradually.

here are works of incolor:
WATSON_00004706-028-1.jpg
微信图片_20191001043721.jpg
微信图片_20191001043718.jpg
微信图片_20191001043714.jpg
微信图片_20191001043657.jpg

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Wow that Plasma is screamingly hot.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

philipeleven wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:00 pm
The original idea is to try something lighter than THM and have PM support ability
Do you mean M3 or Clavicula SE?

philipeleven

by philipeleven

Klaster_1 wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:22 am
philipeleven wrote:
The original idea is to try something lighter than THM and have PM support ability
Do you mean M3 or Clavicula SE?
M3 is not much lighter than ec90 and specialized... and those 105kg limits……ehhh

philipeleven

by philipeleven

mrlobber wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:49 am
Wow that Plasma is screamingly hot.
I like that factor more :D

excremanwu

by excremanwu

wish to see 46/30

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

When will these be available for sale?

philipeleven

by philipeleven

Francois_Viviers wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:50 am
When will these be available for sale?
December. Will be a website to sell it worldwide and distributors in some countries.

Nautiboy

by Nautiboy

philipeleven wrote:
Nautiboy wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:43 pm
Hi philipeleven, it is admirable for you(or the company) to solicit feedback before finalising on the product and manufacturing it. I have a few highend bikes and i change them every 6-9months with components that i like to test. So, here is my contribution to you...

- Who is your benchmark? I will suggest THM Clavicula. I had SRAM Red carbon (soft and flexes), SWORKS (stiffer) and THM M3 to the latest.... If I want lightweight and stiff, I will only buy THM. So if you can surpass them technically - I will buy yours.
- Pricepoint - It doesn't mean from China is has to be cheap, but reality of branding/value /price ratio will always be there. Being new in the market and to promote sales, the price differential must be there, maybe E$600?
- Finishes/Logo/Naming - Someone already mentioned this and is so true for me, so please pay attention there. For finishes, I find that the latest Campagnolo WTO wheelset carbon finish is the best in the market, you should really take a look at it. It makes ENVE looks like from china.

I love testing gears and work closely with Ridea Taiwan. If you need real world testing or further discussion on distribution - please kindly PM me and we can take it from there.

Have a good day ahead : )

The original idea is to try something lighter than THM and have PM support ability——since I discovered that there are chaos lay-ups and resin pile up in the THM clavicula, It came to me that maybe we could build something utilize the carbon-fiber better. It is ok for me to use a weight limited version which could be less stiff and strength (like THM——I strongly think that weight limits of the THM crankset, 120kg and 105kg, is actually the weight they use in the fatigue test, instead of the hightest 180kgf standard), but we figured out that it is safer and more secure to launch a no weight limit version at the beginning.

The brand incolor is a famous custom paint studio in China actually. I think many people could remember those facial-makeup helmets used by Chinese track cyclists in 2016 Rio Olympics. It is the work of this studio. So it will be no trust issue in China because they have build up very good reputation this years. It is just can't link this name to that famous artwork among western people though.

The surface quality is something we are improving. since the carbon layers is quite thick, It has some limits on how we could select the surface finish pattern. We are now using chaos carbon fibers to eliminate small bubbles on the surface, but I do hope we could get rid of them gradually.

here are works of incolor:
WATSON_00004706-028-1.jpg
微信图片_20191001043721.jpg
微信图片_20191001043718.jpg
微信图片_20191001043714.jpg
微信图片_20191001043657.jpg
Hi Philip, I've sent you an email on the collaboration and have not receive any reply from you. Just wondering whether you receive my email?? If not, can you kindly email me direct at xlee33@gmail.com??

Francois_Viviers

by Francois_Viviers

Any updates on these?

cajer

by cajer

I visited Phillip in Guangzhou last week and got to check out the crankset. He defiantly knows what he's doing and is a true weight weenie. Every component in his bike was weight weenied out!

The crankset set and power meter seem well built and the fit and finish is nice. I'm still in China for work, so I haven't had a chance to install it on my bike.

philipeleven

by philipeleven

Since the beta version cranks were sent out for testing, and we are waiting for the next batch of products (about 40pairs finish in the next month, and, will come with black label), it seems nothing important to update :)

I'm testing PM these days, finish designing the serperated chainring for PM, and started to produce them. New PM and chainrings will be ready in next month too.

I think next major update will be test articles come out from medias, plz stay tune for it :)
Attachments
微信图片_20191029030709.jpg
微信图片_20191029030640.jpg
untitled.369.jpg

philipeleven

by philipeleven

And...designing gravel frame these days :)
Attachments
微信图片_20191029034703.png
微信图片_20191029034659.png

kode54

by kode54

philipeleven wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 pm
Since the beta version cranks were sent out for testing, and we are waiting for the next batch of products (about 40pairs finish in the next month, and, will come with black label), it seems nothing important to update :)

I'm testing PM these days, finish designing the serperated chainring for PM, and started to produce them. New PM and chainrings will be ready in next month too.

I think next major update will be test articles come out from medias, plz stay tune for it :)
Black label version looks good. 1x and 2x spiders? Matte finish?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

philipeleven

by philipeleven

kode54 wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:10 pm
philipeleven wrote:
Mon Oct 28, 2019 8:39 pm

Black label version looks good. 1x and 2x spiders? Matte finish?
making 2X rings...there are soooo many spec of 1X so it won't be made until mass production(maybe early next year).
black label version come in matte finish.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com