Your Pre, Intra & Post Workout Supplements

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scapewalker

by scapewalker

What supplements are you guys using and when?

For me it's usually:

- BCAA/EAAs, coffein and for heavy sessions a Citrulline/Glycine/Arginine pre workout booster
- Mostly gels and electrolytes during the workout
- Whey protein post workout unless i'm getting a protein heavy meal

Is there any good bars/gels you could recommend, have't found any that taste good and are easy on the stomach yet?

okimy

by okimy

Is there any good bars/gels you could recommend, have't found any that taste good and are easy on the stomach yet?
Bars generally don't work for me during and after hard workouts. On easy rides I usually bring Clif Bars because I like how they taste (esp. Chocolate Almond Fudge). When it comes to gels I like the Power Bar ones. You can tear them open easily and the waste chord thing works well (the packaging stays in one piece, even when you open it). I usually have either Lemon or Black Currant (these are with caffeine).
I'm probably going to try around with putting multiple gels in a soft flask or small bottle and diluting them with water so I don't have to carry any waste in my pockets.
You can also try to bring other nutrition like nuts or fruits. Bananas are one of the few things I can eat after a hard training session/sportive without feeling sick.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Pre: glass of water

During: diluted Gatorade

Broady

by Broady

Vegan Protein shake / extra BCAA post-ride.
Couple of gels / bars during, depends what we have in the cupboard really, I'm not fussy.
Daily B12 / Multi / Krill oil supplements. Does the job.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

Pre nothing special. Sometimes a banana or a slice of bread with jam, when I am hungry, so it isn't really workout related.
During usually nothing special. If the ride is long a not intensive then just some bar/s. My favorite are Cerea flapjacks. When the ride is hard and long enough I use some SiS gels too.
After I have SiS Rego. 2 doses if it was really hard.

Konsi

by Konsi

My stomach doesn't like gels. So I normally have electrolytes (Decathlon, or Sponser) in the bottles, and take Hard Bars (https://hard.bar/) to eat. They taste so much better (personal opinion) than most others on the market, and my stomach digests them under all circumstances. For races/triathlons, I unwrap them, break them in three pieces, and put them in a top tube bag.

glepore

by glepore

Pre-25g or so of maltodextrose disolved in half a water bottle with some lemon juice., 2 Sport Legs supplements
During- water, electrolytes ( endrolyte fizz or nuun). Hammer Perpetuem if more than 2hrs.
After- real food, sweet potato and black beans or a chicken breast something
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

kytyree

by kytyree

Pre: depends on the day and what I'm doing, coffee and light breakfast before the long ride, a small snack in the afternoon during the week or nothing in morning before work

during: water or electrolyte drink like SIS tabs, on my long rides I usually carry some SIS gels and will have a couple of those, maybe something like a clif blok, or other chewable

Post: Trying to just have a regular meal afterward now, if I'm really wiped out I may go with a snack and then eat when I start feeling normal again

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

You don't need any of that. And, in fact, if you are trying to train aerobic efficiency, eating pure sugar during a workout will work against that.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com