2021 Trek Emonda SL/SLR

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
goatalope

by goatalope

chronsbons wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:22 am
goatalope wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:29 pm
Saw a Trek Segafredo Instagram post saying they'll have the new Emonda at Criterium du Dauphine, which starts May 31st.

I'd be pretty happy with something that looks like the new Domane, but without any isospeed gizmos or internal storage. Room for plump 28s (I think the current model may even fit some 32s right now).
What post? Take a screenshot and share it here!
Well, after looking at the post again, sounds like they're just *expecting* it at Dauphine. But still...

Attachments
Emonda.jpg

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Trek-Segafredo mentioning the new Emonda at all is a good sign it could debut earlier. And it would be a smart move. The Domane is already out. They should bump the Emonda release to early spring if it’s ready.

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

A little bird told me the launch of the new Emonda will be a few days prior to the start of the Giro d'Italia.

hlvd

by hlvd

MisterNoChain wrote:A little bird told me the launch of the new Emonda will be a few days prior to the start of the Giro d'Italia.
Any isospeed on it?

MisterNoChain

by MisterNoChain

hlvd wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:44 pm
MisterNoChain wrote:A little bird told me the launch of the new Emonda will be a few days prior to the start of the Giro d'Italia.
Any isospeed on it?
I dont have any other info. Being a lightweight climber bike i hope they dont add it.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I don’t see them adding isoSpeed to the Emonda. That would add too much weight for that bike.

My predictions: T47, H1.5, disc-only, 20ish Gran reduction in frame weight from the current setup (offset because of the T47 weight), Max tire clearance 30ish millimeters (up from 28mm), more aero design (ala Domane), maybe all-internal cabling (ala Madone).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It’ll be heavier because of kamm profile tubing and a semi-integrated cockpit.

goatalope

by goatalope

I hope they keep H2. H2 reach and stack are great for me. H1.5 is a little long and low. I've looked at a lot of geometries, and so many companies use a "H1.5" on their racier bikes. Its nice that the Emonda isn't so aggressive (and you can get H1 if really needed).

mrlobber

by mrlobber

FIJIGabe wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:02 am
My predictions: T47, H1.5, disc-only, 20ish Gran reduction in frame weight from the current setup (offset because of the T47 weight), Max tire clearance 30ish millimeters (up from 28mm), more aero design (ala Domane), maybe all-internal cabling (ala Madone).
If that all came together, I'd be the first all over it, however, I'm with Tobin on this one, it will probably be notably heavier than the current one, in line with Tarmac / R5 plus minus a few grams.
Retired bikes: Cervelo S5 2015 / Felt AR FRD 2014 / Cannondale SS HM 2014 / Scott Addict SL 2014 / Scott Plasma Premium 2014 / Orbea Orca 2008 / Look 596 /

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Also the current Emonda SLR Disc already officially clears 30mm tires. I could see that being bumped to 32mm. Given that we've seen a new semi-aero Bontrager XXX bar/stem combo, I wouldn't be shocked if the Emonda only got the partial cable integration a la the new Domane.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:28 am
Also the current Emonda SLR Disc already officially clears 30mm tires. I could see that being bumped to 32mm. Given that we've seen a new semi-aero Bontrager XXX bar/stem combo, I wouldn't be shocked if the Emonda only got the partial cable integration a la the new Domane.
My mistake. It's 28mm for rim brake, 30mm for disc brake. I think they'll make 32mm the "official" max clearance, but like everything, you can clear wider tires.

One "wish" would be an updated rim brake model, featuring the T47 BB, but no other changes to the current model. Sell it like an "Emonda Classic Edition" (not Classics). I know it won't happen, but a guy can dream, no?
Madone 9 - https://bit.ly/2Nqedbn
Emonda SLR - https://bit.ly/2UK5FP8
Crockett - https://bit.ly/2Xem4sk

Madone 5, Cobia. I own a lot of Treks.

Morkai

by Morkai

FIJIGabe wrote:
Thu Feb 06, 2020 4:33 pm
One "wish" would be an updated rim brake model, featuring the T47 BB, but no other changes to the current model. Sell it like an "Emonda Classic Edition" (not Classics). I know it won't happen, but a guy can dream, no?
I wouldn't mind an hourglass headtube

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

seems like a little weight gain is inevitable to accomodate aero, T47, and disc brakes. if the weight gain is modest, this will be my next bike - looking forward to the spy shots

goatalope

by goatalope

What I don't understand about T47... sure its threaded, but the area where the removal/installation tool engages is so narrow. Just seems like it'll end up being a pain. Reminds me of removing old standard square taper bbs with that narrow lip. Slips off, bang my knuckles on stuff. Ughh.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

goatalope wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:42 pm
What I don't understand about T47... sure its threaded, but the area where the removal/installation tool engages is so narrow. Just seems like it'll end up being a pain. Reminds me of removing old standard square taper bbs with that narrow lip. Slips off, bang my knuckles on stuff. Ughh.

Trek is using an 85.5mm shell instead of an 86.5mm. With Praxis T47 BB cups you get an extra .5mm on each side, which will help with BB tool purchase.