Help me pick a climbing bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

Hello all, first post here...I'm looking into adding a climbing specific bike to line-up and need some help in deciding which route to go.

First of all, I currently have a 2019 Cervelo R3 and absoultey love it...apart from when the road heads up. Then it's a so-so feeling. It's by no means bad at climbing (it's quite quick, actually), its just that it feels pretty lifeless...missing that snappy responsiviness that I love. I live in Colorado where pretty much every climb is an hour-plus long, so I'd like to have a bike that I really enjoy.

It doesn't have to be ULTRA light weight (my budget won't allow that), and complinace/comfort isn't really a factor for me...I'm simply after stiff and resonssive. Disc brakes and able to accommdate 28c tires are a must. Budget wise, I'd like to keep it under $5,000 USD...and that doesn't have to include wheels as I have a set of Hunt's that I really like.

The main bikes that I am currently considering:
- Factor O2- It sounds like the perfect bike, but the fameset is on the pricey side so I'd most likely have to find a used one
- Rose X-Lite Six w/ Ultegra Di2- great value, and based on the reviews, it has the characteristic that I'm looking for
- Giant TCR Advanced SL - I've read nothing but good things about it, but for some reason I'm not sold on....but, based on the price, I could probably do DA di2 instead of
Ultegra
- Orbea Orca m20i (OMR, not the new OMX). My previous bike was an orca and it certaintly had the feel I was looking for. But I'd kind of like to try something else

So, thoughts/opinions on any of the above? Other bikes that you'd reccomend? Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

backdoor

by backdoor

Ridley Helium?

Otherwise I would go Factor, then Orbea.

I only suggest a Ridley because its what I have been riding the past 2 years and its a great climber. Its got interesting geometry though so check before buying.

Ridden Cervelo and Orbea as rentals. Was excited about the Cervelo but not so much after riding it. The Orbea was an older model Orca. Factor would be fun to try but hard to find used in the USA.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Canyon Ultimate CF SLX or Tarmac SL6 would be the 2 bikes I consider if this had to be a disc climber below 5k. Budget aside, Factor O2 VAM.. so light.
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

backdoor wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:04 am
Ridley Helium?

Otherwise I would go Factor, then Orbea.

I only suggest a Ridley because its what I have been riding the past 2 years and its a great climber. Its got interesting geometry though so check before buying.

Ridden Cervelo and Orbea as rentals. Was excited about the Cervelo but not so much after riding it. The Orbea was an older model Orca. Factor would be fun to try but hard to find used in the USA.

I was a little unsure of the Cervelo, but once I test rode it, I thought it was great...very smooth, and fast for an all-around race bike. I had a '18 Ocra OMR, but it had rim brakes, and I got it in a 51 when I really should have gone for the 53. So, the plus side to the Orac is I know what I'd be getting.

The Helium looks interesting, and the gemoerty looks pretty spot on for me, actually. But the disc model doesn't seem to be available, yet.

I've actually found a used Factor frame, that looks new and is in my size, but it is a little more than I'd like to spend. So, I'd like to sure that it's worth it before I pull the trigger.

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

VTR1000SP2 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:06 am
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX or Tarmac SL6 would be the 2 bikes I consider if this had to be a disc climber below 5k. Budget aside, Factor O2 VAM.. so light.
I did consider the SLX, but it is a little out of my price range at $7.5k...maybe they will release an Ultegra di2 version? I went into the bike shop all set to purchase the Tarmac SL6, but then I test rode it...didn't care for, it at all. I ended up testing an R3 at the same time, and that's what I came with

The O2 VAM is definitely dream-bike status...if only money wasn't an issue...
Last edited by jmfreeman535 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

Nautiboy

by Nautiboy

Hey, your selection missed out on the Next Gen aero climbing bikes......Look at Scott Addict RC 2020/ :D

kgt

by kgt

Try a Time Alpe d’Huez if you can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

backdoor

by backdoor

Too many bikes.... too little time.

Through the Valleys and over the Mountains...
2013 Ridley Helium - 6.9Kg
2017 Blue ProSecco - 9.0Kg
2018 Ridley Noah SL - 7.85Kg

shotgun

by shotgun

R3 is a very capable frameset. I'd go for the Canyon, but I'd be very happy with the Giant TCR
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sell the R3 and up the budget maybe?

jmfreeman535

by jmfreeman535

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:45 am
I'd rather not do that, simply because I'd lose way too much money due to depreciation (even tho it's only a couple of months old). And I do really like it, overall. However, I would consider simply swaping out the frame to the R5 if that would liven it up on the climbs...any one have firsthand experience with both the R3 and R5?

Also, I do think that I can get a very capable frame and Ultegra di2 (I don't need it to be a complete bike) for ~$5K.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I wonder what an R3 would be lacking that other frames have?

Sure it's not the wheels?

reedplayer

by reedplayer

jmfreeman535 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:10 am
alcatraz wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 5:45 am
I'd rather not do that, simply because I'd lose way too much money due to depreciation (even tho it's only a couple of months old)
+1. and thats the reason, why i would not "invest" to much money in a bike in generell terms. there is few products with such a high erosion of value like bikes. most very expensive frames, especially if produced in taiwan, are extremely overpriced, without offering any value added to more affordable ones.

so, imo, better saving money for a condominium, gold, stocks of a promising company....... etc. (just simple examples for products with appreciation potential, no need for a discussion about those examples) instead of pulverizing it with overpriced bike. :)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I really wonder if the Factor VAM is actually an O2 with paint stripped, given that if you subtract 100g or so from the O2 weight it'll be very close to the VAM weight. So if you're on a budget, like the Factor and don't mind taking on some ww work...

PSM

by PSM

alcatraz wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:57 am
I wonder what an R3 would be lacking that other frames have?

Sure it's not the wheels?

Agreed.

Unsnappy R3??!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com