Carbon Paint Removal

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Would you sand or use a solvent to remove paint from a carbon frame? Which solvent is safe for the resin? My friend suspects there's at least 1/3lb of paint on his frame and wants to see how light he can build it so the paint has to go.

AJS914

by AJS914

Personally, I would scrape and then sand. If you hold a razor blade, exacto, or other sharp blade at a right angle to the surface it will ususally strip the paint off pretty cleanly. I did a Time frame and it came out pretty nice. I touched it up with maybe 400/600 grit wet sanding. You don't want to dry sand and then breath in the carbon dust.

Tell your friend that he may have a sort of industrial look afterwards. Frames that are painted often use bits of filler to smooth things out before painting. A bare Time frame looks pretty nice because they do such a perfect job with the carbon weave. YMMV

Maybe you remember Xena's Trek?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/131970499 ... 660009870/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Thanks for the tips. He sanded paint off a carbon swingarm earlier this year and it was a lot of work so he was hoping for a chemical solution. I just stumbled upon Carbolift. Anyone have experience with that?

AZR3

by AZR3

Razor blade is the best method. Its faster than sand paper and i wouldnt risk using chemical remover. I tried Carbolift, which is carbon safe but it took forever to do a little section, its messy and didnt even work that well.

AJS914

by AJS914

After razor blade scraping on the Time frame mentioned above, it only needed a tiny bit of wet sanding.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Razor bladed an evo frame, 2 forks, multiple seatposts, a stem, several handlebars, multiple shifters and rear derailleurs

- it is the best method. Touch up with fine grit sandpaper as mentioned.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com