2019 Venge Clip on Aerobars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Tuna96

by Tuna96

Gimmick? Or perfect for me?

I've been in the market for a high end tarmac for a long time now. Now that I'm basically ready to buy.... I have the triathlon bug. I just finished a 70.3 and plan on doing a few more then finally a 140. Obviously this has my eyeing tri bikes... but I gave myself a reality check, and know that I wont every be truly competitive in the sport. I used cheap clip-ons for the Ironman and felt very comfortable. This brings me to the conclusion of a venge. I'm not quite certain this is the case. But I picture myself flipping the seat post (if possible) and screwing on a set of these for tri-training days or the eventual race. Theres hardly an info on the bars however
Attachments
DSC00770-1024x536.jpg

andreas

by andreas

You can't flip the seatpost, would need to buy the 0-setback one (which may already come on the bike for small sizes so think?)

There are 2 version of the clip-on's, one shorter UCI legal and another one for Triathlon. You will find a few people sharing their experience with them if you search within the Venge 2019 thread.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

robeambro

by robeambro

Tuna96 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:30 pm

I've been in the market for a high end tarmac for a long time now. Now that I'm basically ready to buy.... I have the triathlon bug. I just finished a 70.3 and plan on doing a few more then finally a 140. Obviously this has my eyeing tri bikes... but I gave myself a reality check, and know that I wont every be truly competitive in the sport. I used cheap clip-ons for the Ironman and felt very comfortable. This brings me to the conclusion of a venge. I'm not quite certain this is the case. But I picture myself flipping the seat post (if possible) and screwing on a set of these for tri-training days or the eventual race. Theres hardly an info on the bars however
You can just get the Venge stem and fit those extensions on a Tarmac.

Not to mention that with a Tarmac with round bars you’d have a much wider choice, which may lead to more customisation and a better position, which in turn will bring more aero benefits than anything else.

You could also get a Venge frameset with round bars but that would be kinda ugly.

All of this just to say that you don’t have to get the Venge if you were set on the Tarmac. Position is king, so pick the setup that would allow the best one for you.

Campervan

by Campervan

I was in the came position as you. I opted for the Venge. TBH it came down to matt black or glittery purple. So the Venge it was. It's a super fast bike. I find it comfy even over long distance.
I have just got the non-uci approved tri bars for it. The pads not width adjustable. In fact there is little adjustment. It does show I do probably should have a longer stem. They are very sturdy when fitted, so far i've only done 40miles on the bars and found them comfy. I was not blown around on them (with CLX 64 wheels) and was able to decend on them as well.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Boardman CXR 9.4 cxr CX/gravel mongrel
Btwin 540
Specialized Venge Pro Disc

wingguy

by wingguy

The venge clip ons are absolute wank in terms of security and adjustability. They’re something to tolerate if you have to rather than choose a bike because of!

If you want a Tarmac get a Tarmac, put clip on compatible bars on it and then get literally any of the better clip on options out there.

Tuna96

by Tuna96

Campervan wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 10:16 am
I was in the came position as you. I opted for the Venge. TBH it came down to matt black or glittery purple. So the Venge it was. It's a super fast bike. I find it comfy even over long distance.
I have just got the non-uci approved tri bars for it. The pads not width adjustable. In fact there is little adjustment. It does show I do probably should have a longer stem. They are very sturdy when fitted, so far i've only done 40miles on the bars and found them comfy. I was not blown around on them (with CLX 64 wheels) and was able to decend on them as well.

Your sig says you have a Venge Pro. Any issues with fitting? I know previously they only fit the Vias model. Also does the 2019 Version have routing for extra shift points? Are you happy with the shorter version, did you compare to the longer version? I'm only 5'7 so I think the shorts would be good. I dont want to sacrifice my fit but I was thinking maybe an extra seatpost and seat for days I want to use them if I got the longs...

Tuna96

by Tuna96

Campervan wrote:

Your sig says you have a Venge Pro. Any issues with fitting? I know previously they only fit the Vias model. Also does the 2019 Version have routing for extra shift points? Are you happy with the shorter version, did you compare to the longer version? I'm only 5'7 so I think the shorts would be good. I dont want to sacrifice my fit but I was thinking maybe an extra seatpost and seat for days I want to use them if I got the longs...

Tuna96

by Tuna96

robeambro wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:31 am
Tuna96 wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 2:30 pm

You can just get the Venge stem and fit those extensions on a Tarmac.

Not to mention that with a Tarmac with round bars you’d have a much wider choice, which may lead to more customisation and a better position, which in turn will bring more aero benefits than anything else.

You could also get a Venge frameset with round bars but that would be kinda ugly.

All of this just to say that you don’t have to get the Venge if you were set on the Tarmac. Position is king, so pick the setup that would allow the best one for you.
I had just not considered the venge until now. Both of these bike are way out of my league. I've been doing more solo riding and moved from the hills to farmland so the benefits of the venge are there on paper atleast. It seems like alot of added cost to add (quality aerobars) to a tarmac. I guess I'm split in the decision but it is nice to have the options

Campervan

by Campervan

Tuna96 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:41 pm
Campervan wrote:

I have the current Venge pro disc (2019), The one I have is the longer one aero bars, I'm 5ft8 and the short ones would be far too short for me (They are only extend as far as the hoods do). I use the full length of them and the standard seat post at the moment.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Btwin 540

Campervan

by Campervan

wingguy wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 1:04 pm
The venge clip ons are absolute wank in terms of security and adjustability. They’re something to tolerate if you have to rather than choose a bike because of!

If you want a Tarmac get a Tarmac, put clip on compatible bars on it and then get literally any of the better clip on options out there.
Well they worked very well the weekend.
BMC Granfondo 02 105
Scott Scale 940
Btwin 540

Tuna96

by Tuna96

I was able to get this working (and even able to get micro shifters on there). I'd be happier with the setup if the arm pad was somehow wider (or closer to my wrists where my arms are narrower.) Has anyone thought about 3d printing something? I would definitely be interested if only I knew how to go about it. ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Tuna96 wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 1:36 pm
I was able to get this working (and even able to get micro shifters on there). I'd be happier with the setup if the arm pad was somehow wider (or closer to my wrists where my arms are narrower.) Has anyone thought about 3d printing something? I would definitely be interested if only I knew how to go about it. ImageImage

What stem are you running? Hard to tell from the pictures if it's a Venge stem or not.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Tuna96

by Tuna96

Yes it's a venge stem and aerofly bars

calv1n

by calv1n

Tuna96 wrote:I was able to get this working (and even able to get micro shifters on there). I'd be happier with the setup if the arm pad was somehow wider (or closer to my wrists where my arms are narrower.) Has anyone thought about 3d printing something? I would definitely be interested if only I knew how to go about it. ImageImage

Anyone know what di2 shifters would work best with this set up?

Thanks

Tuna96

by Tuna96

Made them myself for the aeroImage

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com