Extralite SC-058 580g sizeM!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

nickf

by nickf

Any info out there? Interested

https://www.extralite.com/Products/SCR-058.htm

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

moly holy..

rim brake climbing bike :thumbup:
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Slammed

by Slammed

Man, this looks super cool. There's not many ultralight road frames coming out these days.

robeambro

by robeambro

They could surely do better with marketing - the name "SC-058" makes me think of some open mold stuff, difficult to create an iconic product if you name it like that.

RussellS

by RussellS

robeambro wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:51 am
They could surely do better with marketing - the name "SC-058" makes me think of some open mold stuff, difficult to create an iconic product if you name it like that.
I can sort of decipher where they came up with that SCR-058 name. SCR means Super Carbon Racing? And 058 is the 580 gram Medium frame weight with the numbers rearranged. So it all makes sense. But I agree the name does sound wacky, even if I can sort of decipher how they came up with it.

beanbiken

by beanbiken

nickf wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:54 am
Interested

Yep, you betcha.....
BB

Coffee & carbon

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Interesting. As we know, in 2017 AX lightness beefed up the Ultra by 100g at least. The original was like 600g or around it. Unless Extralite have come up with new techniques or materials, I'd guess there will be notable compromises in this frame.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

uraqt

by uraqt

The state of carbon fiber, it's about the resin. One the Rca bike Cervelo said they used super resin in locations. But cound't in all locations as the cost was 10 time as much as normal resin. That weight is possible but it's going to be be $$$$$

eforce123

by eforce123

I wonder what the dimensions are and maybe I can fit on a small with a longer stem. And what weight would that be at? 540g wow

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

naked carbon with a thin matte clearcoat, that alone saved about 100g

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

mrlobber wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:11 pm
Interesting. As we know, in 2017 AX lightness beefed up the Ultra by 100g at least. The original was like 600g or around it. Unless Extralite have come up with new techniques or materials, I'd guess there will be notable compromises in this frame.
That's true. I had the 2014 version and 2015-2016 version. Now i have an end of 2018 made bike (2019 year model) and it weights more.
But it's reinforced, it's stiffer and made to be more durable.
I won't go in to details, but i can say, be weary of frames über light promising a life time of success.
I also had issues with Extralite stem damaging two fork steerer tubes.
Ryde Trace 22 rims, both front and rear uneven in 2-3 weeks. Rear rim cracked seating a stubborn tire.

I would be cautious and read up alot and ask more if i bought this frame. Foremost on warranty as Extralite have no documented expertise in carbon manufacturing.
Most likely it's outsourced to a small builder, but again, if this frame develop cracks, who warrants the frame?
If you'd be deemed of misuse, you might end up with trouble.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

moyboy

by moyboy

hmm title of the page is HyperCap......

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:12 pm
mrlobber wrote:
Tue Sep 17, 2019 2:11 pm
That's true. I had the 2014 version and 2015-2016 version. Now i have an end of 2018 made bike (2019 year model) and it weights more.
But it's reinforced, it's stiffer and made to be more durable.
I won't go in to details, but i can say, be weary of frames über light promising a life time of success.
I also had issues with Extralite stem damaging two fork steerer tubes.
Ryde Trace 22 rims, both front and rear uneven in 2-3 weeks. Rear rim cracked seating a stubborn tire.

I would be cautious and read up alot and ask more if i bought this frame. Foremost on warranty as Extralite have no documented expertise in carbon manufacturing.
Most likely it's outsourced to a small builder, but again, if this frame develop cracks, who warrants the frame?
If you'd be deemed of misuse, you might end up with trouble.
Excellent points. This frame has been in development for at least a couple of years now judging by previous photos they've put up on Insta etc

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Btw, will this frame be UCI-legal?
One reason Ax did oversee the older vs newer Vial EVO, was reinsure it would handle the abuse of these events.

I would probably think one time more when it comes to safe riding, no severe headaches over cracks and broken frame.
If something is pure kill-blow, then it's the process of warranty when it comes to such expensive things.
The time line is giving you depression and so might the outcome.
There is with facts in hand, some things to think of.

I would honestly rather use a builder who have the know-how and/ or have had time over years refining a product.
Things not obvious in test, is the true test of time, many users, much feedback.
Same goes for wheels (rims). I have my reasons saying this and i do it to save you guys from possible heartache.

But sure, take it as you want
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

moyboy

by moyboy

More info on the site now and pics.