Paint strip frame to save weight?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Hi,

I've come to a point where any additional weight saving come at a very expensive price. :/ I've taken my 2012 Cervélo R3 Team from 7,15 to 6,60 kgs simply by changing/upgrading to commonly avalible parts.

I was wondering roughly how much weight could be saved by stripping the frame and fork from paint?

Is it safe to ride a nude carbon bike or will UV-rays negatively affect the carbon and epoxy composite?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

You can probably save about 100-200g on that frameset by stripping the paint and primer. UV can effect the underlying resin structure but only if it has lots of UV exposure, thinking 8+ hours a day for a couple of years.

Conversely you can strip to bare carbon and put on a couple protective layers of UV resistant clear coat, which will add back roughly 50g but will providea additional impact and UV resistance lost by the previous stock paint removal.

LouisN

by LouisN

It depends on the color/finish of your paint job.
I stripped my white/red frameset, and saved 180 grams (if my memory's good). Whites frames are heavier because it takes lots of paint to cover the black carbon.
For the fork the weight loss was 20-25 g I think.
I then added 25g by giving it a few layers of bonding agent and clear coat.
It still cost me close to $100. in sand paper, and products.

Louis :)

alcatraz

by alcatraz

LouisN wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:32 am
I stripped my white/red frameset, and saved 180 grams (if my memory's good). Whites frames are heavier because it takes lots of paint to cover the black carbon.

Hi Louis. Do you have a forum thread about this paint stripping of yours? I'm curious to try it myself on a focus izalco.

Is sand paper or a razor blade the best method?

1415chris

by 1415chris

My 2012 Cervelo R5 vwd came from 833g (58) to around 780g. It is still working process, needs to be finished with sand paper.
But I don't expect huge gains here, maybe additional 10-20g. So there will be no more than 60-70g. There was more filler than paint, which was very thin.
Finished fork from 288g to 281g, 3T Dorico ltd post 187g to 178g, 3T Ergosum ltd 183g to 167g. So overall 90-100g on all carbon components.

I start with razor and finish with sand paper.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Does the carbon look all scratched up afted sanding away the filler?

yinzerniner

by yinzerniner

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 am
Can't tell until you get down to the carbon, as all frames have different carbon layups.

See this post here for a stripping I did of an Open U.P. frame. Worked very slowly and deliberately, but if you're careful there's little risk of permanent damage.

https://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost ... ostcount=1

RussellS

by RussellS

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 9:24 am
Just an answer based on my experience with sandpaper while woodworking. Sandpaper comes in many different grits. From coarse 40 grit that does leave marks and scratches, to 800 grit that leaves things shiny smooth. And then you can burnish with pumice after that to add even more slickness. So with a carbon frame you could use very high grits of sandpaper to leave a perfectly smooth and shiny surface if you want. It might not even look like carbon fiber after you are done it would be so smooth and shiny. The scratches left by the highest grits of sandpaper are invisible to the eye.

LouisN

by LouisN

alcatraz wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 6:00 am
LouisN wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 3:32 am

Hi Louis. Do you have a forum thread about this paint stripping of yours? I'm curious to try it myself on a focus izalco.

Is sand paper or a razor blade the best method?
I used sand paper (too fine at first, then decided to go with 120 and 150, still took me forever), but for most of the job, a razor blade owuld have been fine. Carbon is a pretty tough material. Here to give you a rough idea:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=136234&p=1184457&hi ... r#p1184457

LOuis

jorisee01

by jorisee01

Maybe this helps

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/topic? ... source=app

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

Rudi

by Rudi

As above, I saved maybe 120g on a small, white frame. 1200 grit is pretty scratch free to finish with but you will want some clear coat added on for the reasons mentioned above. My effort:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

Lucendi

by Lucendi

Thanks for all the replies!

I think I will do some minimal decals, "Cervélo" on the downtube and "R3" on the top tube, and clear coat over everything.

What would be the best way to do the decals? A stencil and draw in the letters with a marker or to use vinyl?

What kind of clearcoat would you recommend? 2K spray can with hardener?

Lucendi

by Lucendi

4 hrs in;

I'm using a sharp folding knife to scrape off the paint. The knife does have to be resharpened often.

The nude carbon has sort of a metallic sheen, which I really like. I don't think I'm gonna go with a clear coat right away when it looks this good!

I will work away at it whenever I've got the time and ride it in between.

jorisee01

by jorisee01

If you use the protectant from my thread every month you can safely leave it off.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G960F met Tapatalk

alcatraz

by alcatraz

I didn't think to start stripping with the bike completely assembled. That's pretty smart. :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com