Cinelli superstar disc, starting to feel not like a super star.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rich00

by rich00

Hi all,

I've recently built up a Cinelli superstar disc with Ultegra R8000 and come across a few quirks which I had posted here during the week.

1st clearance between the lockring cassette and rear drop out. Seemed to be resolved when fully torqued the lock ring. However I noticed that the bolts holding the drop it weren't fully screwed in and only 1 had lock tight .

2nd, the front derailleur cage when in the large chain ring and 11 to get no chain rub it's about 1mm away from the crank arm. I'm going to have stick a spacer to get enough clearance.

3rd, the end cap on the rear non drive side won't sit flush with the dropout. There's a good 3mm gap. I noticed this when I having some play in the wheel. This can't be right ? This is my first disc frame.Image

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

rich00

by rich00

I'm definitely not feeling like a superstar. Just realised that I had ordered the wrong thru axle for the hub. I got 135 instead of 142, bloody rookie mistake !

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

joejack951

by joejack951

Did you add that toothed washer on the rear wheel end caps? Those are common when using a quick release but useless for a thru axle wheel. It also appears to be the reason the wheel isn’t fitting correctly.

And your second post (posted as I was typing my reply) just explained some of the above.

rich00

by rich00

joejack951 wrote:Did you add that toothed washer on the rear wheel end caps? Those are common when using a quick release but useless for a thru axle wheel. It also appears to be the reason the wheel isn’t fitting correctly.

And your second post (posted as I was typing my reply) just explained some of the above.
The tooth washer is part of the end cap which is for a 135 thru axle which is on the hub. I've ordered the correct thru axle 142.

Miller

by Miller

rich00 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 10:38 am
I got 135 instead of 142, bloody rookie mistake !
Lots of things are different with discs. Every day is a school day.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

rich00 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 am
2nd, the front derailleur cage when in the large chain ring and 11 to get no chain rub it's about 1mm away from the crank arm. I'm going to have stick a spacer to get enough clearance.
Not to pile on or anything, but I think that just like with the axle this will turn out to be an issue with your setup of the bike. Probably either the height or angle you've set on the front mech cage. It might be a good idea to take the bike to a competent mechanic to sort these things out for you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rich00

by rich00

Karvalo wrote:
rich00 wrote:
Sat Sep 14, 2019 8:38 am
Not to pile on or anything, but I think that just like with the axle this will turn out to be an issue with your setup of the bike. Probably either the height or angle you've set on the front mech cage. It might be a good idea to take the bike to a competent mechanic to sort these things out for you.
Thanks for the feedback. I've got the right axle on order. I'll see how that goes and possibly take it to mechanic.