Rubbing disc brakes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Calnago wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 11:30 pm
bm0p700f wrote:Has the op face the mounts. This is something often overlooked.
It’s kinda like the first thing that should be done when installing discs, just like aligning a derailleur hanger before slapping the drivetrain on, or facing BB shells etc. Yet, it seems to be one of those things that often gets ignored, even by shops. Then, only if there’s a problem does it get looked at. Makes me wonder how many discs are out there where the mounts weren’t faced, yet the brakes are working ok, kinda sorta, but could be so much better if the mounts they’re sitting on were properly faced.
This. So true. Take the time to do it right the first time.

I suspect it is often not done because the room for error is low (or the consequences of an error are high... presumably warranty would be compromised), especially if a customer is infront of you with a 10,000$ special order bike. Kind of like cutting a carbon steerer tube for a slammed setup.
Last edited by RocketRacing on Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Thanks for all the replies so far. Many things suggested, and it reminds one of how many things can go wrong with disc brake setup.

However, I will remind people to start with the easy fixes first. After truing my rotor, i completed the proper bedding procedure for the brakes. 20 medium speed brake to a roll, and 10 high speed brake to a roll. Then let cool.

After two rides, one with heavy braking (2km 7% descent), i remain rub free.