Painted-to-match vs black fenders

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Should I have these fenders painted to match?

Yes, paint them
23%
No, leave them black
77%

Total votes: 35

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I wouldn't go red unless you're adding some detailing. I'd go with a gunmetal metallic color. Match your headset maybe.
Maybe instead of paint, use a printed vinyl wrap. I don't think they'll survive a dewrap for rewrap, but may be more durable than paint. You can add a light graphic detail to the mix as well.

RussellS

by RussellS

For your bike color in whatever shade of red that is, go with black fenders. The mock up picture showing the bike with matching red fenders does not look good. I have a red/burgundy touring bike with fenders. Back fender is black. Front fender is silver. Black racks, cages, bars, stem, post, saddle. Black tires and rims. The black fender matches very well with the black tires and rims. Everything in the circle is black. But on the front, its black tires and rims, with silver rim, and red/burgundy fork. Too many mismatched colors. Go with black fenders on your bike. Not silver or matching red.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bilwit

by bilwit

Seems like most people who do the matchy/matchy thing forget whole point of doing it to begin with and go too overboard. It's the contrasting, unmatched parts which brings out the matched parts, which is why black everything else usually works the best. To me, leaving the fenders black is best, because it really highlights the red frameset and makes it really stick out. The more red you add, the less red sticks out.

Of course, red fenders could also work if you're really going for the "*f##k* YEAH, FENDERS BABY!!!" statement, in which case, more power to you.

kevinw

by kevinw

Gary71 wrote:
Mon Sep 16, 2019 2:10 pm
....a custom colour matched racing stripe down the middle of the fenders....
This

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Agree with the black.... I have a winter bike with black fenders, and a bright frame. All other components are also black. If you fit the fenders as close as possible to to tyres, and don't use tan sidewalls, the fenders almost disappear into the wheels visually and make for a better looking bike.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

It's hard to get paint to stick to plastic without spending a lot of time on prep. Stick with black, it does not chip off.

wintershade

by wintershade

RTW wrote:
Wed Sep 18, 2019 2:58 pm
Agree with the black.... I have a winter bike with black fenders, and a bright frame. All other components are also black. If you fit the fenders as close as possible to to tyres, and don't use tan sidewalls, the fenders almost disappear into the wheels visually and make for a better looking bike.
Thanks for the opinions everyone. Ultimately, I went the route of RTW's advice and am going to stick with the black annonized fenders.

The one I idea I liked quite a bit also was doing a racing stripe and pulling the cross-hatched design into the fenders -- I think that would have looked super custom and unique, but in the end I'm not 100% sure I'd have liked it better and it would have delayed the bike delivery quite a bit, plus had some concerns about paint chipping off given I plan to beat up this bike a bit with winter riding and communiting, and then it would look rather worn-out and lame.

welchy

by welchy

Black

Edit: that bike is just absolutely beautiful, must be one of the nicest paint jobs I’ve seen in a long time. You are a very lucky sod.

Is that a Deda superlegerro post colour matched?

wintershade

by wintershade

Thanks man. Yes it’s a Deda SuperLegerro post.

Can’t wait to get the bike. It’s scheduled to arrive from Italy on Thursday.