opinions on Extralite Ti quick release skewers

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
nickf

by nickf

Not all wheels are equal. The types of spokes used, lacing pattern and hub geometry can make or break a good wheel. Blind test, same wheel you will not notice a skewer "flex". If lightweight skewers were flexing that much I would imagine there would be some amount of abnormal wear showing on the dropout from the hub moving about.

I had some rear brake rub with my Bontrager Aeolus 5 wheels, stock Bontrager steel skewers, KCNC Ti, and Paul components skewers. Didn't make a difference, they all rubbed.

by Weenie

Boshk

by Boshk

Here you go
Lightweight SSP2 QR skewers, came out at 43g

Campagnolo stock QR 120g
Attachments
IMG_20190913_161134.jpg
IMG_20190913_161306.jpg

themidge

by themidge

How much force is really exerted on your skewers though? The weight of you and the bike rests through the dropouts on the hub, so isn't the important bit of the skewer the clamping system? I would worry more about whether the skewer has a powerful enough clamping action rather than what it's made of.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

themidge wrote:How much force is really exerted on your skewers though? The weight of you and the bike rests through the dropouts on the hub, so isn't the important bit of the skewer the clamping system? I would worry more about whether the skewer has a powerful enough clamping action rather than what it's made of.
The clamping force is determined by the rod material and diameter, and the type of cam mechanism (internal vs external). In general the heavier the QR the stronger the clamping force.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucendi

by Lucendi

themidge wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:00 pm
How much force is really exerted on your skewers though? The weight of you and the bike rests through the dropouts on the hub, so isn't the important bit of the skewer the clamping system? I would worry more about whether the skewer has a powerful enough clamping action rather than what it's made of.
Excellent point!

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

themidge wrote:
Fri Sep 13, 2019 12:00 pm
Titanium limits your clamping force as it stretches under clamping action limiting your total available force. It's yield strength is not nearly strong enough for a QR. People worry about there stem faceplates with titanium bolts and there are 4 5mm bolts at ¼ the torque. Wheels have 1 and it's 5 times longer.
A strong tight axle ties the open ends of bike together and helps resists torsional flex in addition to holding the wheels in place.

I also will only use internal cams, but there are a couple external that work okay.

FYI I switched to thru axles now and they are a big step up in stiffness. They are also lighter than the dura ace QR's I used to run.
If you want crazy light weight.
https://bikerumor.com/2019/09/12/found- ... thru-axle/

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

I have Tune DC 100/130, they weight 37 grams, no problems whatsoever with them.

mr_tim

by mr_tim

Used lightweight brand skewers on a nice new colnago frame. Nowhere near enough clamp force using record hubs with serrated end caps... rear wheel literally popped out of the drop out and rubbed frame paint off the chainstay + jammed wheel in front of traffic.

swapped out to extralight aliens - never looked back.

Aliens are circa 60g - which is not a lot of weight premium to not trash a frame / near get driven over.

Campag skewers are nice enough but ridiculous over weight vs function.

Have always thought aliens strike the right balance.