Disc brakes: your greatest dreams, and fears confirmed.

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

So i just got my first hydralic disc brake road bike (ok, tri bike... felt ia disc).

Sorry disc haters, disc brakes just work so much better than rim brakes. Different league. I can now rail the descents will total confidence and braking is both strong, and well... perfect.

Sorry disc lovers... my sram hydraulic disc brakes (ender shimano fan boys) rub up front from day 1.

Let the debate continue!!!

Edit: straightened a disc rotor for the first time ever, using a park tool rotor straightening tool (wrench) and a wheel stand (upside down on my couch).
Last edited by RocketRacing on Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

skyliner1004

by skyliner1004

disc brakes add about .5 - .75lb to your bike. you argue it stops better, i argue that if your forearms are strong enough to lock up the wheels, the brakes aren't limiting you. Its your tires. my 2010 sram rim brakes could throw me over the bars any day of the week. The long time arguement a road bike needing disc brakes: road bikers use their brakes 99% less than a mtb, we can go miles and miles and miles and probably never even touch our brakes.

Disc brake benefits: better braking in bad conditions (wet, snow, gravel, mud)

having said that, i now have a dura ace disc brake bike. they look cooler, they make my bike look newer, they work.
2018 Supersix Evo Hi-Mod Disc Dura-Ace
Conti SS + Gp5000
3t Ernova Team
Garmin 520 Plus
Look Keo Blade 2 Carbon Ti
15lb 15oz

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

why....

lock it up.. it's just more of the same.

but I'll play...

Dreams - one finger braking
Fears - I have just as many wheelsets as I did when I was on rim brakes.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R Building
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL- getting aero look makeover
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault - completed project, full Xplr package

none

by none

Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.

RossLB

by RossLB

I have three very similar bikes. A 2016 Cervelo R3 rim brake, a 2018 R3 disc and a 2018 R5 rim.

I bought the disc R3 last year because I thought discs were a great idea. Better braking, and I could use carbon wheels without fear of brake failures or delamination.

In practice, the braking was not better. My rim brake bikes brake just as well. In fact, with swiss stop pads and alloy rims, braking is better on my rim R3 than on my disc bike. Braking also feels more direct and more controlled with rim brakes. I also have Fulcrum and Enve carbon wheels for my rim bikes and the braking is more than adequate on both.

The feel of the bike is different on the disc bike. It is like riding a block of concrete. It feels solid and unyielding. The bike doesn't feel fun to ride. The two rim brake bikes both feel springy, lively and fun to ride.

The disc bike has been in the LBS repeatedly for adjustments, and the front caliper finally had to be replaced under warranty. Even when working perfectly, the brakes are noisy. And it is not the pleasant jet engine sound of rim brakes on carbon wheels. It is the sound of a cat screaming in pain. And the pads wear out every few months on the disc bike. I am always worried about whether there is any pad left on a long ride.

In summary, my disc brake experience has been disappointing and frustrating. Which is why, when I decided to buy a new bike, I went for the R5 rim. The disc bike exceeded my worst fears, and did not live up to my expectations in any respect. My R5 rim is definitely a dream by comparison.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

none wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:08 am
Brakes, who needs them; they only slow you down.
This.

Having just built up a really nice disc bike that I am really liking - I do not understand why disc brakes have already become a religion. They're very good, and my bike is lighter than a lot of rim brake bikes. Some people have said disc brakes work like very well setup rim brakes on alloy - and I'd agree with that.

I think the revelation is that a ton of folks spent years on rim brake setups that were whack...

Moral of the story is take the time to setup your rim brakes and make adjustments if you're not content! Also, disc brakes do actually stop a bike well. And 9170 shifters are maybe the most comfortable I've ever ridden.

robertbb

by robertbb

@RossLB: Swisstop BXP's on alloy rims are as good as it gets on rim brake bikes. Better even than exalith/mille wheels and as good as any disc setup I've tried.

shotgun

by shotgun

I was all praises for Disc, and I still like them and they're still on my primary bike. However, I recently used rim brakes and alum rim wheels (shamals) and was pleasantly surprised that they worked pretty well too. I think we've been so accustomed to using carbon rims which really pale in comparison to disc.
2018 Giant TCR Advance SL0 Disc
2017 Festka Scalatore
1989 Battaglin Roche
1985 Alan Carbonio

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Fyi, Those that like rim, are generally using aluminum.

Aero is so key, you need deep wheels. Deep wheels with aluminum brake tracks are a increasingly rare breed.

I would quantify that aluminum rim vs disc... pretty similar. Disc just beats carbon rib brake tracks hands down.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

RossLB wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:21 am
The disc bike has been in the LBS repeatedly for adjustments, and the front caliper finally had to be replaced under warranty. Even when working perfectly, the brakes are noisy. And it is not the pleasant jet engine sound of rim brakes on carbon wheels. It is the sound of a cat screaming in pain. And the pads wear out every few months on the disc bike. I am always worried about whether there is any pad left on a long ride.

sounds more like someone who never bothered to learn how to maintain hydro disc brake, if you hear "cat screaming in pain", it is a clear sign your pads are contaminated.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

9BDA0EAF-3C1A-47BC-BA94-619D8C576C07.jpeg
And just because i can not resist... here she is!

0.5-1lbs means nothing on a 20+ lbs bike.

RossLB

by RossLB

ChiZ01 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:07 am
sounds more like someone who never bothered to learn how to maintain hydro disc brake, if you hear "cat screaming in pain", it is a clear sign your pads are contaminated.
You're right, I forgot to mention the much greater and more frequent maintenance required for disc brakes.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

My DURA-ACE rotor often rubs especially after descending the hill, but honestly I don't care at all. I know it may add some resistance, but the hubs of Mavic/Campagnolo/DT/Chris King bring much louder sound...
RocketRacing wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:29 am
Edit: straightened a disc rotor for the first time ever, using a park tool rotor straightening tool (wrench) and a wheel stand (upside down on my couch).
Perhaps you need to face your frame/fork as well...
https://www.bike24.com/p2206740.html

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

RossLB wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:33 am
ChiZ01 wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 3:07 am
You're right, I forgot to mention the much greater and more frequent maintenance required for disc brakes.
For the most part disk brakes require less effort to maintain perfect braking. I had to remove my rim pads on a monthly basis to remove aluminum fragments and sand off the glazing. I also had to clean and use steel wool on the brake tracks every month or two. This is on dura ace wheels with swiss stop pads.

On my XC mountain bike I went for almost a year with zero maintenance on my disk brakes. Then I installed new pads, cleaned the pistons and went a whole year again.

There is no comparison in pure power or modulation. Disks are better in every metric, except weight and setup time. Maintenance is just different.
Ride fast Take chances

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

RocketRacing wrote: And just because i can not resist... here she is!

0.5-1lbs means nothing on a 20+ lbs bike.
Jesus. What’s your BB to saddle height?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com