Shimano Pro Stealth Ultralight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

refthimos

by refthimos

The Superlight version of the Shimano Pro Stealth saddle was announced July 4, 2019, and the Shimano press release stated that it would be "available in limited quantities in European stores from the end of July and widely available worldwide later this year."

Anyone seen one for sale or have any info on when it will become available?

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jlok

by jlok

sigma sports says 21 Oct.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

AGB

by AGB

I hope the "shape" works for you....definitely get a demo if possible as I demo'd the original model a couple of months ago and it made my groin region go numb riding on the drops over a 5km rolling hills section......had to dismount to get the blood flow back...coudnt wait to get home to remove the thing!!...I only tried it because there are many good reviews out there?
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.00kg sans - WinSpace Hyper 50mm wheel upgrade

refthimos

by refthimos

AGB wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:37 pm
I hope the "shape" works for you....
Thx, I think that advice applies to all saddles since they are so rider-specific, but I’ve had the Stealth on 3 bikes for several years now, so it works really well for me.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

romanmoser

by romanmoser

It's not just about the saddle it's also about the set up, If you don't play a little especially with short nose saddles
How can you be sure ?

LiquidCooled

by LiquidCooled

I believe Shimano also has a 30-day return period for their saddles. I guess you would have to buy from them or some authorized dealer.
2017 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2003 Cannondale R1000 (CAAD7)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I like the new tech incorporated in the design making this saddle. According to Shimano service, they aren't releasing any other new Pro products this year.
So, sadly no super light Aerofuel.
Personally, i prefer Aerofuel over Stealth (YES - i ride a road bike and no TT bike).
I don't like the tail of Stealth + the fact that Aerofuel has a way more comfortable nose to ride on.
Aerofuel is flat allowing me to ride at the nose and push back, to stretch my back and/ or climb.
Stealt has a nose that is harder (and most likely felt in a bad way) and the tail rise is just not for me.
With that in the open, Aerofuel carbon is 162 g while the stainless steel dito is 194 g.
Both weighted by me.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

sovereign

by sovereign

Tried the Stealth this summer after a persistently reappearing saddle sore riding a Fizik Arione R1 on the road and Tundra for MTB. Result? Saddle sore gone within a couple of rides. Don’t know if this is the best option for me, but I now have this saddle on 3 bikes. 8)

refthimos

by refthimos

jlok wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:48 am
sigma sports says 21 Oct.
Just got a stock alert email from Sigma Sports - looks like they are back in stock. But they can't ship to USA! :oops:
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

MountainAddict

by MountainAddict

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm
I like the new tech incorporated in the design making this saddle. According to Shimano service, they aren't releasing any other new Pro products this year.
So, sadly no super light Aerofuel.
Personally, i prefer Aerofuel over Stealth (YES - i ride a road bike and no TT bike).
I don't like the tail of Stealth + the fact that Aerofuel has a way more comfortable nose to ride on.
Aerofuel is flat allowing me to ride at the nose and push back, to stretch my back and/ or climb.
Stealt has a nose that is harder (and most likely felt in a bad way) and the tail rise is just not for me.
With that in the open, Aerofuel carbon is 162 g while the stainless steel dito is 194 g.
Both weighted by me.
Had to Google the Aerofuel - it seems to fly under the radar pretty well. Had I known about it before buying another Stealth, I would've tried it out. It's cheaper and lighter, and the shape seems similar enough to give it a shot.

JayDee81

by JayDee81

MountainAddict wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Had to Google the Aerofuel - it seems to fly under the radar pretty well. Had I known about it before buying another Stealth, I would've tried it out. It's cheaper and lighter, and the shape seems similar enough to give it a shot.
Because it's a TT saddle.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:40 am
MountainAddict wrote:
Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:01 pm
Because it's a TT saddle.
Problem is that saddles are put in to categories. There's even a pro rider on a downhill saddle on his TT bike.
I would say, the previous Bontrager Hilo XXX is a great road bike saddle, so is Pro Aerofuel.
Most likely, the new Syncros Belcarra TT version is a more comfortable road saddle then the road version.
Why?
Because the difference is a nose padded for on the nose riding and less sliding.
My guess is that it is a nicer saddle than Pro Stealth.

A bad idea from saddle manufacturers is not making the nose not comfy.
Some have the clamps mounted so the saddle will give you a hot spot when on the nose.
Some saddles have long noses, just to put the further rail to shell mount, in an off-riding-region.

Many saddles have a nose that is too hard and too narrow.

Looking at Stealth VS Aerofuel.
Aerofuel is flat from rear to nose.
A more padded nose on a super firm all flat chassis (rear to nose).
Gains is, you can move more on this 250mm saddle than you can on some of the longer, "typical" road saddles.
Aerofuel is more comfortable on the nose than Stealth.
It's flatter - no tail rise at all.
This allows you to extend your back, stretch out when needed.
IMO, Aerofuel is what you wanted ISM to be (as a road biker).

A saddle can surely be flexible, but that means it deforms under load and likely the furthest rail clamp to shell, will be noted when you slide forward.
If more people rode lots and lots of saddles they probably would find a few things out.
Weight/ pressure will always be, question is, is it at a better or worse region?
Flex shell, well it souns good, but you need to have a shell to take stance against, if the saddle bends under load, where do you put pressure!?

There's so many aspects to consider with a saddle. I would say it's one of the most relevant things on any bike if you ride a drop bar bike.
You will always position yourself on the edge of what you can handle.
You may not even grasp what you can handle, due to a saddle and your lack of knowledge (which again comes back to testing)!

A good saddle may allow you to ride lower (and / or for longer durations) and that is key nr 1 if we wish to save effort.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

JayDee81

by JayDee81

But then you look at most markets and realize that there is simply no other way how to try a saddle other than buying one, for most manufacturers, unless you are lucky and your friend has the saddle you want to try. This shit is pricey and a lot of work usually.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:10 pm
But then you look at most markets and realize that there is simply no other way how to try a saddle other than buying one, for most manufacturers, unless you are lucky and your friend has the saddle you want to try. This shit is pricey and a lot of work usually.
Sadly, yes... i know i have bought 4 saddles during 2019 and sent back 3.
So i've been on 7 saddles this year alone. All in all over the years i am right under 25 saddles (bought) !
Yes, that is true :shock:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

wheelsONFire makes some really good points about testing saddles and experimenting. Flexibility tests, ass-o-meters, and other theoretical methods prove nothing. I've played around with many, many saddles in my time. For me I've learned a classic rounded shape with enough side "skirt" is critical. I am older and carry some pelvic issues from my history of racing motorcycles and general abuse. If I ride a saddle that is flat side-side my sitbones and pubic ramii cannot take it. I am not symmetrical, I never will be, and a curved saddle allows me more leeway. So I'm a fan of the Aliante (older version is better), the Bontrager Serano, the original Prologo Scratch Pro, etc, etc.

I bet if we pooled together a WW collection of unused saddles sitting in people's basements we could have quite a large testing pool of equipment. Logistically it would be tough to organize but for the cost of shipping we could probably have our own saddle trial operation.