Shimano Pro Stealth Ultralight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

JayDee81

by JayDee81

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm
JayDee81 wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:10 pm
But then you look at most markets and realize that there is simply no other way how to try a saddle other than buying one, for most manufacturers, unless you are lucky and your friend has the saddle you want to try. This shit is pricey and a lot of work usually.
Sadly, yes... i know i have bought 4 saddles during 2019 and sent back 3.
So i've been on 7 saddles this year alone. All in all over the years i am right under 25 saddles (bought) !
Yes, that is true :shock:
I started playing with saddles in winter, when I bought Fizik Antares VS Evo 2017, which is pretty good for me, except for the perineum, which causes some problems. Since spring I have tested these:
Selle San Marco Mantra Narrow - too bad for my sitting bones
Specialized Power Comp - pretty good, not sure about one little detail, when my sitting bones would start hurting too
Selle San Marco Shortfit - pretty good, except that it would make my back burt (probably the steep back end) and it is too short for aggressive TT like position (maybe I need a bike fit - I have that planned)
Selle San Marco Aspide Narrow - unstable, cannot put down power - unusable
Selle Italia SLR Superflow L - not really good for me, cutout probably too big and the inner edges are quite hard
Selle San Marco Aspide Wide - testing now, going for a long ride tomorrow and so I think I will know the conclusion

Want to test: Prologo Dimension, maybe some normal (long) Prologo saddle, Pro Stealth, maybe some S Toupe or Romin
Any other saddle suggestions? Oh and I like Selle Italia SP-01, but that saddle is pretty expensiv, even the basic model.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:21 pm
Sadly, yes... i know i have bought 4 saddles during 2019 and sent back 3.
So i've been on 7 saddles this year alone. All in all over the years i am right under 25 saddles (bought) !
Yes, that is true :shock:
Have you give Brooks C13 curve 145mm a try? It is the last saddle for me

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

refthimos

by refthimos

Just got word that these are stateside at Shimano USA in Irvine, CA. Depending on how fast Shimano gets them to my LBS, I should have 2 soon!
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
EVO4 | build thread coming soon
S5 Disc
SystemSix (sold) | 8.01kg
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

g32ecs

by g32ecs

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm
I like the new tech incorporated in the design making this saddle. According to Shimano service, they aren't releasing any other new Pro products this year.
So, sadly no super light Aerofuel.
Personally, i prefer Aerofuel over Stealth (YES - i ride a road bike and no TT bike).
I don't like the tail of Stealth + the fact that Aerofuel has a way more comfortable nose to ride on.
Aerofuel is flat allowing me to ride at the nose and push back, to stretch my back and/ or climb.
Stealt has a nose that is harder (and most likely felt in a bad way) and the tail rise is just not for me.
With that in the open, Aerofuel carbon is 162 g while the stainless steel dito is 194 g.
Both weighted by me.
Im using the Prologo Dimension and while I find it good, my inner thighs are rubbing the circled area and I'm chafing pretty bad.

I forgot which manufacturer made these areas with a flexy material but if I can also recall it was Selle Italia who's asking a tantalizing $400🤪

The Specialized Power worked for me before but I had the heavy version.

I'm in search of something with a decent weight and comfortable inner thigh space (I think a tad narrower inner thigh area saddle). Is that the Aerofuel? The Power was nice but the lighter version is a bit pricey.
Attachments
Screenshot_20191024-180417_Chrome.jpg

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

As a long time Sella Italia user
Really like the newer boost saddles, just as comfortable as the old superflow
Like you, I need the narrow middle of the saddle or thigh rub ensues when riding in the drops
Not a wide sitbone, just like the shape, easy to move around on
Short saddles are very particular on position though
Good luck, and good hunting
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

The boost is also the only short nose saddle in 130mm afaik. I am also getting on quite well with it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:56 am
The boost is also the only short nose saddle in 130mm afaik. I am also getting on quite well with it.

ISM PN line, Dash, Cobb, etc. are effectively super narrow at the "flares" and wide/stubby nosed.

Several Selle SMPs are in the 265mm length range with a nose that droops/rolls down and out of the way.

They all have have distinctive aesthetics though.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:07 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:43 pm
I like the new tech incorporated in the design making this saddle. According to Shimano service, they aren't releasing any other new Pro products this year.
So, sadly no super light Aerofuel.
Personally, i prefer Aerofuel over Stealth (YES - i ride a road bike and no TT bike).
I don't like the tail of Stealth + the fact that Aerofuel has a way more comfortable nose to ride on.
Aerofuel is flat allowing me to ride at the nose and push back, to stretch my back and/ or climb.
Stealt has a nose that is harder (and most likely felt in a bad way) and the tail rise is just not for me.
With that in the open, Aerofuel carbon is 162 g while the stainless steel dito is 194 g.
Both weighted by me.
Im using the Prologo Dimension and while I find it good, my inner thighs are rubbing the circled area and I'm chafing pretty bad.

I forgot which manufacturer made these areas with a flexy material but if I can also recall it was Selle Italia who's asking a tantalizing $400🤪

I'm in search of something with a decent weight and comfortable inner thigh space (I think a tad narrower inner thigh area saddle). Is that the Aerofuel? The Power was nice but the lighter version is a bit pricey.
This is exactly the one thing that can be the achilles heel with Aerofuel to. I worked with setback to get this as good as it gets.
But i feel more it can be an issue of saddle height. I totally understand what you're referring to, so i can't say Aerofuel is solving this issue for you.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

refthimos

by refthimos

EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

g32ecs wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:07 pm

Fizik made (make) flexible zones in the sides.

I also started to use a Prologo Dimension this summer after like 10 years on Fizik Antares, my oldest one was all worn, ripped and scratched so thought I would try something else, curious about short nose saddles as over the years, I spend more and more time low on the bars that I have lowered more and more as well. I didn't like the Dimension at first, but angle and setback takes a lot more time to figure out compared to any saddles I have tried before, 0.5° seems to make a night and day difference and I needed to try a few fore-aft position until I found the sweetspot. Now I like it a lot.

I was also looking at the Stealth but I'm thinking I would find the nose too wide and would get chafing there, that's usually where my saddles wear the quickest.
Last edited by Dan Gerous on Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

refthimos wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:26 am
Thanks. What width is it?

Can I be a pain in the ass (literally)?

Can you measure these 2 points? The widest point and the inner thigh measurement
Attachments
PhotoEditor_20191029_214753097.jpg

refthimos

by refthimos

This is the 152mm version. I measure the width across the widest point at approx 155mm and the other measurement you indicate at approx 70-75mm. FWIW, I have all three versions - stainless rails, carbon rails, and now the Ultralight - and they all have the same shape, so if you get your hands on any version of the Stealth saddle, it will work for fitting purposes.
EVO1 | 5.37kg
EVO3 (sold) | 6.51kg
S5 Disc
P5 Disc | heavy but fast

gunder

by gunder

refthimos wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:38 pm
This is the 152mm version. I measure the width across the widest point at approx 155mm and the other measurement you indicate at approx 70-75mm. FWIW, I have all three versions - stainless rails, carbon rails, and now the Ultralight - and they all have the same shape, so if you get your hands on any version of the Stealth saddle, it will work for fitting purposes.
How's the ride quality of the superlight compared to the others? I've heard the one with carbon rails rides a bit stiff.

steventran

by steventran

Is the length still 255mm? The off-road version is a bit shorter (~245mm) than the road version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

integration

by integration

refthimos wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:26 am
Could you report back on the comfort/stiffness vs the carbon railed version?

I'll between jumping on this or giving the cadex boost a try.