Dogma disc...head scratcher

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sfo423

by sfo423

F10 disc w/eTap. Getting drive train (I think) noise when under hard load (i.e. uphill). Not so much on flat or soft pedal. Both rings.

I tightened the thru axles
I tightended the BB on both sides
I tightened the crank
I tightened the ring bolts
I tightened the rear der to the hanger
I tightened my pedals

Only thing not tightened was the seat and seat post. I'll try that next. Any other suggestions? Can't stand the noise!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

morrisond

by morrisond

RD slighlty out of alignment so the chain isn't in the center of the rear sprockets?

TonyM

by TonyM

How many miles do you have with this chain and with these sprockets and chainrings?

Whenever I have a new chain or new sprockets it always needs a while until everything is working together without any noise from the drive train.

Or

Are your chain and your sprockets ok? Do they need to get replaced?

sfo423

by sfo423

This is all a fairly new build. ~Four months on the road w/all new everything. I will say, off topic, the SRAM drivetrain is noticeably louder than Dura Ace.

TonyM wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:52 pm
How many miles do you have with this chain and with these sprockets and chainrings?

Whenever I have a new chain or new sprockets it always needs a while until everything is working together without any noise from the drive train.

Or

Are your chain and your sprockets ok? Do they need to get replaced?

TonyM

by TonyM

sfo423 wrote:This is all a fairly new build. ~Four months on the road w/all new everything. I will say, off topic, the SRAM drivetrain is noticeably louder than Dura Ace.
Well after 4 months the drive train should be not new anymore. So that rules that problem out.

But depending on your milage per year and the way you use your bike (wattage and the sprockets used more frequently) 4 months coud already mean a replacement for the chain...

Have you checked if your chain is worn?

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

similar experience on my BMC.... I regreased the BB and did not hear anything on my last ride.

When I get more time.. I will pull the BB and apply the japanese wako lube (v160) and call it done.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

sfo423

by sfo423

I have a feeling this may be it.

I’ll try the seat clamp and post clamp first.

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:03 pm
similar experience on my BMC.... I regreased the BB and did not hear anything on my last ride.

When I get more time.. I will pull the BB and apply the japanese wako lube (v160) and call it done.

sfo423

by sfo423

What is stae-side equivalent to wako for threaded BB? Hard to get......
spdntrxi wrote:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

sfo423 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 10:24 pm
What is stae-side equivalent to wako for threaded BB? Hard to get......
spdntrxi wrote:
easy place to get wakos is ebay.. seller alex_japon is pretty quick.. I think I had the lube in hand in just under a week.

No reason why you cant use V160 on threaded BB
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TonyM

by TonyM

My F10 disk has a Dura Ace BB and doesn’t make any noise.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

You’ve got a threaded BB. Grease, antiseize, whatever, if you’ve torqued it down properly I really doubt that’s the source of any drive train noise.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

sfo423 wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 pm
F10 disc w/eTap. Getting drive train (I think) noise when under hard load (i.e. uphill). Not so much on flat or soft pedal. Both rings.
"Noise" is a little vague, but your bottom bracket is threaded, so I doubt that is it.

Under load makes me think something is flexing and introducing rub. I'd suspect the front derailleur, but could also be the rear slightly out of adjustment.

wingguy

by wingguy

Since he’s mentioned tightening everything down I’d imagine it’s a creak he’s chasing.

I’d just point out that simply tightening isn’t always the answer, some things like seatposts and wedges can creak at correct torque if they’re dry instead of properly greased/pasted.

sfo423

by sfo423

More of a repetitive ticking than what you generally hear from a creaky seatpost (as an example)
GothicCastle wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:37 am
sfo423 wrote:
"Noise" is a little vague, but your bottom bracket is threaded, so I doubt that is it.

Under load makes me think something is flexing and introducing rub. I'd suspect the front derailleur, but could also be the rear slightly out of adjustment.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

sfo423 wrote:

I tightened the thru axles
I tightended the BB on both sides
I tightened the crank
I tightened the ring bolts
I tightened the rear der to the hanger
I tightened my pedals

Only thing not tightened was the seat and seat post. I'll try that next. Any other suggestions? Can't stand the noise!
Under heavy load.... actually, it could be your saddle. If you push hard you can get some saddles to squeak.
It could also be the saddle clamp or rails....
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.