Budget OSPW alternatives

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KristianT

by KristianT

There are a lot of OSPW budget options on the market, but i have not yet found many reviews.
Any in here that have been running some of the budget OSPW setups? Looking int the range below $100.
GUB.jpg
JL.jpg
kcnc-1216t-jockey-wheel-system-for-shimano-r800091009150-11s.jpg
Rockbros.jpg
WAL.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MartinRa

by MartinRa

i am running the KCNC OSPW on my Dura Ace Rd9000 for the last 6000 km, it shifts like stock and looks cool.

chris14

by chris14

Hi , I bought the last photo one. Worked well but then I changed to osymetrics chain rings and found it difficult to get the right chain length. It turned a lot of heads in the club ride though and got it for about 60 euros when I shopped around. I think that the bottom jockey wheel has ceramic bearings but upper wasn’t.

chris14

by chris14

Sorry I should’ve said on a 9100 derailleur

WMW
in the industry

by WMW

MartinRa wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:19 pm
i am running the KCNC OSPW on my Dura Ace Rd9000 for the last 6000 km, it shifts like stock and looks cool.
I'm curious if it increased the max cog capacity? Some of them do. It depends on how the top pulley moves relative to the pivot.
formerly rruff...

MartinRa

by MartinRa

WMW wrote:
Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:49 pm
MartinRa wrote:
Tue Sep 10, 2019 7:19 pm
I'm curious if it increased the max cog capacity? Some of them do. It depends on how the top pulley moves relative to the pivot.
kcnc says yes, up to 32, but i have never tried it because 11-28 ist the biggest i have lying around :(

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've tried the GUB and a Fouriers but only because they were included on 2nd hand RD's. One was on an Ultrega 6800 and one on a SRAM Force 22. They look nice and maybe you can save a watt or something, maybe nothing. They make no real negative difference to shifting and make it a bit easier to clean the jockey wheels. it might be worth buying one if your RD is shorter cage max 28 and you want to run a 11-32 cassette without buying a new RD. They are a bit fiddly to fit the less mechanically minded might need a mechanic. Other than that they scare me a bit, low grade cermaics just aren't as reliable and high grade steel. I prefer the assurance of the OEM jockey wheel bearing, less chance of walking home or needing a lift. If oversized/ceramic jockey wheels were really better Shimano/SRAM/Campagnolo would surely spec them on their high end models?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com