SRAM RED eTap AXS compatible Chain Catcher?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jbattermann

by jbattermann

Hello,

I used to have and use the "K-Edge PRO Braze-On Chain Catcher" with my pre-AXS eTap bike and it fit perfectly etc, but after switching the same bike to the new eTap AXS Front derailleur, the K-Edge chaincatcher no longer fit.. apparently because the FD itself is fitted quite a bit further down the frame's FD mount and therefore the chain catcher itself does no longer fit properly.

Does anyone have a chaincatcher on their eTap AXS FD and if so, which one?

Cheers and thanks,
-J

SlowMark

by SlowMark

I fitted a SRAM chain catcher last week after numerous chain drops - it has cured teh problem. The SRAM chaincatcher is a lot easier to adjust and get in the right place than the k-edge one (which I have on my other bike).

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... xQQAvD_BwE

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jbattermann

by jbattermann

Awesome, thanks @SlowMark!

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

chain catcher is a must for any SRAM FD, unless you enjoy digging your chain out of crank spindle

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

Those K-Edge ones used to really suck. You needed four hands to get them set up right. The Sram ones are super simple and work well. You can get them within a millimeter of the chain.
Never cheer before you know who is winning

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Does K-Edge even still make the version that doesn’t have independent adjustment from the derailleur. I would never even consider a chaincatcher that doesn’t have independent adjustment from the derailleur. I replaced any of those years ago. And I certainly adjust them to within 0.5mm of the chain. I use a .28mm card as a feeler gauge and that’s the gap I shoot for.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

jbattermann

by jbattermann

SlowMark wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 6:04 pm
I fitted a SRAM chain catcher last week after numerous chain drops - it has cured teh problem. The SRAM chaincatcher is a lot easier to adjust and get in the right place than the k-edge one (which I have on my other bike).

https://www.halfords.com/cycling/bike-p ... xQQAvD_BwE
Aaaand yep - I can confirm the original SRAM Chain Spotter (00.7618.013.000) works like a charm on the eTAP AXS Front Derailleur. Thanks again @SlowMark!

SuperPuppet

by SuperPuppet

Great info. My new bike with AXS eTap is on the way from Canyon and I want to pre empt the issue. I had Sram 10 speed on my BMC and it was impossible. Ended up flicking the group and putting Dura Ace 11 speed.
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Red eTap AXS
BMC RM01 DA mech
Cannondale CAAD10 Ultegra mech (Zwift bike)

DaveS

by DaveS

I put the k-edge pro on one of my bikes and it did nothing to stop two chains drops, even with the device almost rubbing the chain. The device is so weak, the chain can slide between it and the chain ring.

SuperPuppet

by SuperPuppet

DaveS wrote:
Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:45 pm
I put the k-edge pro on one of my bikes and it did nothing to stop two chains drops, even with the device almost rubbing the chain. The device is so weak, the chain can slide between it and the chain ring.
Better off getting the genuine article Dave.
Canyon Ultimate CF SLX Di2
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Red eTap AXS
BMC RM01 DA mech
Cannondale CAAD10 Ultegra mech (Zwift bike)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com