Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kevinw

by kevinw

asiantrick wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:06 pm
I was never happy with the rubber band OEM mount on the varia....
The original mount is far better than the new rubber one if you have a round seatpost.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/p/521461#overview

ms6073

by ms6073

RTW wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm
asiantrick wrote:
This one is a winner so far: Corki Varia Mount.
But it costs LOADS of money. I looked at doing this, but all in it was going to cost about $50 for a mount. :shock:
Where are you sourcing it from? After reading RTW's reply, I ordered the seat rail clamp and mount from Amazon one for US $24. Note that this price includes local retail sales tax as we have an Amazon warehouse not far away.
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

by Weenie

asiantrick

by asiantrick

RTW wrote:
Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:57 pm
asiantrick wrote:
I was never happy with the rubber band OEM mount on the varia, so I've been trying out some aftermarket mounts. This one is a winner so far: Corki Varia Mount. It will still fit a small saddle bag also.

But it costs LOADS of money. I looked at doing this, but all in it was going to cost about $50 for a mount. :shock:
No, it only $20 bucks on Amazon. It's currently sold out at the moment, but will be in stock on the 13rd. Search for Garmin Varia Corki Mount.

commendatore

by commendatore

Looks heavy though

cnynrpr

by cnynrpr

asiantrick wrote:
I was never happy with the rubber band OEM mount on the varia, so I've been trying out some aftermarket mounts. This one is a winner so far: Corki Varia Mount. It will still fit a small saddle bag also.

Is the white part alloy or some poly-plastic compound?

fxx

by fxx

3Pio wrote:This period look like bad luck period in different ways...

Today Tubular sidecut puncture on almost new tubular tire (200 km)

Yesterday we got almost killed by car.. We were riding three of us using the slow lane in the city (it was recovery ride, and riding just 20 km outside of the town for a beer and some snacks there)..

In one moment i just heard brakes of the car and that sound start becoming louder and closer.. Without thinking just instinct made me push on the pedals as much as i can and to go as right as possible.. And few more seconds sound of crashing.... Car hit third guy with us.. My other friend done similar as i done so he missed the back hit as well.. very big luck that third friend who get hit by the car, dont have serious injuries, just scrathes.. But his rear wheel is totaled and probably bike damage (waiting for detailed inspection tommorow or tuesday).

Anyway, this incidend, and including few potential incidents made me thinking of Garmin Varia RTL510.. For yesterday incident it wont help i guess, since in city boulevar the cars are all the time, so u expect that there is car all the time from behind....

But for other out of city riding maybe it can be help, so want opinion (i read some review's and almost all positive):

1. How really helpfull is it in real riding?

Did some of u had a situations that help u to avoid dangerous situation? Is not distracting watching in Display to see the car dots and instead of quick reaction as we had yesterday to spend worth second or two from watching to reacting?

2. Showing/Beeping about car behind is one of the safety options which im not sure it's worth in real riding (never tried, that asking).. But there is another thing which i like.. As i can see blinking light start blinking more as car approach.. So does that mean will get driver attention and his first instinct reaction will be to slow down and push the brakes? Driver yesterday said that he saw us, but someone from the other way enter his lane, so his instinct tried to avoid that collision and that how happened..

Wondering if there was Radar which will start blinking more and more as he approach made him to slow down earlier ...

3. What about battery ? How long last in real world riding including Garmin Edge 520 which i'll use? (how much more battery drain put Garmin RTL510)

4. Garmin Varia RTL510 vs much cheaper but rear light with a lot of lumens to be seen? And overall does rear light (even in day riding), make riding safer? (what if driver is not sure what is that blinkiing, put the eyes to see what is it.. And sometimes driver drive in the way where he is watching...)

And what is ur overal opionion since it's not cheap.. Is it gimmick or really raise the safety regarding my questions? RTL510 or something else? Or to just continue riding without Varia or similar and consider this few incidents as just bad luck?
The radar is only good depending on the route you ride, it picks up cyclists and motorcycles only mid way of the scale, it is useless in urban riding and works fairly well on rural roads, nothing a good mirror won't do better and I recommend the Cateye Bm45.

I have both radar and mirror, the radar prevents me from looking dorky.

Only thing that bothers me is the radiation from the radar, would it affect your royal jewels after prolonged usage?

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

ms6073

by ms6073

cnynrpr wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:05 pm
Is the white part alloy or some poly-plastic compound?
Plastic.
Last edited by ms6073 on Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michael - The Anaerobic Threshold is neither...

jkonst

by jkonst

I've used mine a couple times on short rides, in Downtown Brooklyn and Prospect Park. First impressions are positive: yesterday I was riding in the main lane of traffic (avoiding a dodgy bike lane) for a bit and was alerted of an approaching car I wouldn't have heard until it got close to me. I did get about one false positive (approaching bike - I'm slow) per lap in the park. Paired with the Wahoo ELEMNT Bolt.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jkonst wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 4:39 pm
I did get about one false positive (approaching bike - I'm slow) per lap in the park.

I don't consider this a false positive. It's a vehicle traveling faster than you. Working as intended.

jkonst

by jkonst

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:18 pm
jkonst wrote:
I did get about one false positive (approaching bike - I'm slow) per lap in the park.

I don't consider this a false positive. It's a vehicle traveling faster than you. Working as intended.
Fair enough! Though if that's how it's meant to work, I should have had a couple dozen of those during my time in the park.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
jkonst wrote:

I also dont consider this as a false positive either... I find this usefull on descents the most when I'm just going my own pace and being approached by someone bombing it.... I stay to the side.

jkonst

by jkonst

spdntrxi wrote:
Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:01 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
jkonst wrote:

I also dont consider this as a false positive either... I find this usefull on descents the most when I'm just going my own pace and being approached by someone bombing it.... I stay to the side.
Makes sense. I think it’s situational - something useful in some cases and maybe for me I should keep it on during the ride to the park, and disable alerts once I get there. It’s a little strange to me when the alerts are triggered by other bikes, though. At one point I glanced behind me and there was someone sitting on my wheel, and I had no idea he was there. And I probably got passed 30 times but only got three or four notifications total. Might be some sort of user error, or just something to get used to.

By the way, a friend and I got our Varias at the same time. He bike commutes from Brooklyn to Manhattan daily, and says the Varia has been amazing so far. I’ve read some comments (can’t remember if it was here or elsewhere) saying this probably isn’t useful in cities, but not every street is wall to wall traffic 24/7...

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

@cnynrpr - I have a very similar GoPro/Garmin mount thing from Shapeways. It works perfectly for the Varia -- and also allows me to use the seatpost for a secondary rear lamp (which has no impact on the Varia effectiveness).

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Before I purchased my Radar I was riding a countryside road in North America and I was as far to the right as I could be with cars approaching and a Transport coming up behind me at a high rate of speed but I didnt hear him coming and he passed me at the same time as the cars were coming through. Normally cars approaching will squeeze to the right if a vehicle is coming at them with a cyclist present but these cars didnt move an inch and I had no idea this transport was there until the nose of his truck came by within inches as I started heading for the shoulder and thankfully I held it upright and by the time I got back on the pavement his license plate was ilegible and dirty. There was no bussiness markings on the trailer either. It was at this moment that I thought that a Radar would be a great ideal.
Well so far this device has been a great addition to my 530. I get lots of warning for vehicles coming up and if my riding partner is having a natural I can see him coming back up to continue the ride. In busy intersections with oncoming cars you have more time to focus on whats in front of you while your getting signals for whats behind. Some of my riding buddies like to ride further to the left of the lane and use the Radar to know when they need to move back to the right momentarily. Also for bumps and holes in the road its great to know you can swerve around these obstacles when its clear. This has to be one of the greatest safety devices ever produced thus far IMO.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2012 Time RXRS Ulteam Rim Brake
2008 Time VXR Rim Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

3Pio

by 3Pio

Ok, since my first post on this topic, i got Varia RTL510 and allready have some kilometers on it (about 2000 km ) so can share my experience ...

Im suprised how usefull is it, and let me ride in the middle of the road and avoiding the potholes, or sand from the side of the road, and as soon as i notice car apporach i move then to the side....Also based on speed of approaching vehicle i have idea how fast to react...

Even more usefull in windy rides or rain (i was riding in a bit rain and a lot of wind, so did not hear the cars approaching.. In regular ridings will ride to the side in wet part of the road, but with Varia i was riding in the middle, and just moving to the side when it's needed)

Also can notice some of cars are reacting to the light so extra bonus (i was not using light during day lights for now)

I found detecting of approcahing vehicle very good, and actually like when detect my riding buddies as well....

Two things i dont like... It's a bit bulky and just a tad ugly (just slightly :) , not something to worry about), and second more serious problem: Battery discharging much faster on my EDGE 520, so on longer rides i have to care Power Bank and to recharge in middle of ride...

For example some regular discharging is about 10% per hour, while with using Garmin Varia RTL510 i have about 20% per hour....On 200 km ride i had last week had to recharge twice (short stops but still).. On 150 km ride, had to recharge when i get 30% up 50% (had about 30-35 km to home), so with that recharge i have enough battery to finish the ride...

Nice device to have especially if u ride alone....

by Weenie