Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I have been in small groups and never has been an issue. Yes, it does go off rarely but usually on a hill and when someone is attacking. That is when I put the hammer down. When we are bunched together, I do not think it's ever gone off. Mine is mounted on the seat rails and has an 1/8 turn mount [1/4 turn would not work due to space]. It's mounted as close to the saddle as possible.

No one can sneek up on me.
Last edited by Butcher on Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

AJS914

by AJS914

I've used my Varia in group rides and it has worked really well. Mine seems to mostly ignore other riders going the same speed and picks out the cars. My team mates like that my Varia light goes from solid to blinking when it detects a car. Essentially, they can benefit from it as well.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Riders in a group do reduce the radar's sensitivity greatly, as does rain water. This is something to keep in mind when you're riding in a group, especially in a tight formation.

ms6073

by ms6073

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:58 pm
Riders in a group do reduce the radar's sensitivity greatly, as does rain water.
In my expereince, it is not really a problem as it only occurs when riders are closing on your radar at faster speed(s) than your own.
- Michael

jacobeh

by jacobeh

Thanks for all your feedback - I'll monitor it some more to see if there are some special scenarios it happens in and contact Garmin if needed :thumbup:

motorthings

by motorthings

since the corki mount for the varia is out of stock on amazon (and there are a few negative reviews complaining of breakage), I picked up a similar mount on ebay for $18.
Got it yesterday and installed it, and seems like a worthy choice.
Search for "US For Garmin Varia Rearview Radar RTL510 Tail Light Mount Holder Saddle Bracket"