Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Sep 09, 2019 2:33 am
They're amazing for irregular traffic, but not helpful around regular traffic.
not true, it is very helpful to let you known when you are safe to look back to make a left turn across the road, even on busy streets like NYC, there will be still time when you are ahead of the traffic

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

This is exactly how I use mine. I no longer look until Varia indicates there is nothing behind me. When that happens, I look over my shoulder and confirm what my screen indicates. I also have the Varia Vision [HID] gimick so I do not have to even look down at my computer.

Yes, there are times it is annoying but so is my wife. I would not get rid of either of them.

malizeus

by malizeus

Does anyone know of any other rear flashing lights that are as bright as varia (or maybe even brighter)
Dont need the radar function, just want a bright rear light, i saw varia in person and it is really visible even in bright sun.

Is bontrager flare rt as bright?

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I have had two generations of the Bontrager Flare RT's, and I can confirm that they are both VERY bright.
Last edited by FIJIGabe on Mon Apr 11, 2022 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

malizeus

by malizeus

FIJIGabe wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:30 pm
I have had two generations of the Bontrager Flare RT's, and I can confirm that they are both VERY bright. You won't go wrong with either version.
Thanks, im also eyeing magicshine seemee200.
On paper it should be even brighter, it has 140 lumens blinking 👀

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

The beauty of the RT line of lights is that they communicate with your headunit via ANT+, so you can adjust the light via the screen (or have it notify you when the battery is low). It's not a make-or-break feature (especially with the first-gen devices, which tended to have frequent ANT+ connection dropouts).

velomane

by velomane

I use the Dinotte Quad Red. Rated at 250 lumens, it makes me feel "seen" day or night.

warthog101

by warthog101

malizeus wrote:Does anyone know of any other rear flashing lights that are as bright as varia (or maybe even brighter)
Dont need the radar function, just want a bright rear light, i saw varia in person and it is really visible even in bright sun.

Is bontrager flare rt as bright?
I have an exposure blaze.
https://road.cc/content/review/253186-e ... nd-peloton
Very bright with great runtime.
The seat post bracket however is not reliable. The light can bounce out.
I drilled a couple of small holes and ran a cable tie around the body of the light.
Just remove the entire bracket to charge.

It is now unused since I got the varia.
The varia is that good.

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

The varia paired with a Gamin watch is pretty awesome. You get audio cues through BT into headphones. Game changer. Next is the radar with a camera coming soonish.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

Yeah, I mentioned that, years ago. It would be nice if Garmin developed a system to have the Varia record traffic once it detected something on radar.

ms6073

by ms6073

I had also mentioned a number of years ago that the Varia would eventually be offered with a built in camera that allowed riders to see real time video imagery of approachign vehicle, but this was before BT became mainstream. With technology at that point in time, battery consumption to broadcast video meant single digit run times for riders in high density traffic areas. Of course these days nearly every smart phone can stream to BT compatible digital flat sceens, so seems like the power issues are no longer a concern.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

My friends with Garmin 830 van enable and disable rear light using a widget and touch screen. Anyone have van option for a 530 or non touchscreen to enable and disable rear light with the press of a button? Pretty handy for evening trainings

ms6073

by ms6073

MrRolandos wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:35 pm
My friends with Garmin 830 van enable and disable rear light using a widget and touch screen. Anyone have van option for a 530 or non touchscreen to enable and disable rear light with the press of a button? Pretty handy for evening trainings
Most likely you are asking about the RadarLight data field, alternatelyu just search the Garmin IQConnect store using 'varia' as the search term.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Not certain how a video would work in the sun/bright light. I have the Varia Vision and I cannot see that if a video would work [and it does not] or if it would be good enough to make decisions on.

The Vision also does vibrate when there is an object close by. I ride with BT headphones and I do not recall the radar informing me. It does with incoming phone calls/text but not with radar.

I've mentioned it before, what really shines is when Garmin indicates there is someone behind me, there is. When it says there is no one, there could be someone traveling the same speed as you. I always look before I turn, but with the radar, I don't have to look over my shoulder nearly as often.

I don't worry about someone hitting me from behind. I've come to the conclusion that there is nothing I can do to change what will happen. I can try to avoid an object if they are in front of me.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

req110

by req110

req110 wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:09 pm
Hey guys.
I had rtl510 and now I have rtl515.

The rtl515 is toooo sensitive, including girlfriend behind me.

Peloton mode is not making the radar less sensitive.

It captures also situation when she is 1m behind me, but changing position from my left side to right side. Such situation sometimes trigger even more alarms than one.

In gravel sections it's beeping very often as well.

The rtl510 was better.

I have raised case with support and they told me that rtl515 is indeed more sensitive. But that much?
I am still struggling with this.
I have raised case with support and they told me that rtl515 is indeed more sensitive.

Example situation on road bike is that my buddy is behind me 1.5m, then 2m and changes side from left to right... Such situation sometimes trigger like 3 notifications at once. Making me wonder like: "radar went crazy"

This is sometimes even worse on gravel bike.

Maybe i can suspect the mount? I am using this https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4788212 mounted on saddle rails with zip ties. That's indeed flexible a bit, so i can guess that some vibrations makes radar feel like there is car closer / further?
SW SL8 RTP 56cm @ 9270 / CLX II / CS OSPW / CEMA BB
S Epic 8 L @ XX T-Type / Berg Ratheberg 30 / Quarq / Fox Transfer SL 100mm / 3p