Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tleo

by tleo

Thanks I'll check it out but "custom machined" sounds pricey.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

young

by young

it was $30. so yea lol.

young

by young

just found this as another option. cheaper. $12 on ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/202563456578

Attachments
Screenshot_20200330-011623.jpg

tleo

by tleo

Thanks. $30 really isn't as bad as I thought it might be. I think the K-Edge might not work for me because of my seatpost configuration and position the saddle is currently in since because of the drop on the K-Edge mount. But there is one on Amazon that comes straight back which looks like it would work and combined with the ebay adapter would be a very reasonable cost. Normally I wouldn't care too much about it but in the current times I'm trying to cut back as much as possible.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

I've had my Garmin RTL500 radar for a long time now and I feel naked without it when I ride. I have a Fizik saddle with the clip system on both of my bikes so I bought a Buplabs.com clip system mount. I know the RTL510 is the newer better version of the radar, but I dislike the long and slender shape when mounting it on the saddle instead of the seat post. And the seat post mounts are terrible on aero seat posts.

Not affiliated with Buplabs in any way, but their mount system was a game changer for me. Also, it weighs a comparable amount to the standard seat post mount at only 26g for the clip and garmin quarter turn attachment. A few g's lighter than the aero seat post mount.

Edit: Sorry for the funky looking pictures. Both were cropped down, and the first one was a portrait mode photo on my iPhone.

Wilier Cento10AIR - SRAM Force AXS - Road/race
3T Exploro - SRAM Rival AXS XPLR - Gravel
Wilier Sestiere - Shimano Tiagra - Commuter

YouTube link: https://www.youtube.com/@JMCyclingVideos

young

by young

I think you're one of the few who likes that box radar. I hated the look of it when I had mind. was glad to get the 510.

but I like the fizik clip mount. does me no good on fizik 00 saddles tho lol

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I let my riding buddy sync to my radar when we ride together. Then my buddy jumped on buying one at the sale price of $130. He has a Wahoo Bolt. I think Wahoo just helped Garmin sold a bunch of radars when Wahoo rolled out Varia support.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

young wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 am
I think you're one of the few who likes that box radar. I hated the look of it when I had mind. was glad to get the 510.

but I like the fizik clip mount. does me no good on fizik 00 saddles tho lol
For sure. Most people like the 510. I just dislike using my seat post for mounting. It would help if I were a bit taller than 165cm with stumpy legs. I rarely have much seat post to do anything with and most frames in my size slope towards the back and the tire will impinge on the view of the radar and light.

If/when I get a saddle without the clip system, I'll just look for a saddle rail mount. Ever since mounting it up higher, I won't move it back down given the choice, and the 510 just looks silly hanging down from the back of the saddle.

tleo

by tleo

JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 pm
I have a Fizik saddle with the clip system on both of my bikes so I bought a Buplabs.com clip system mount.
I had a Buplabs seat mount when I was riding a Fizik saddle and it was a great, clean setup. But I've since switched to a Selle saddle and am in the process of setting up a seat rail mount for my Varia. Currently using the seat post mount which I don't like either but will work until the parts for the saddle rail mount arrive which should be by this weekend.

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

tleo wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:24 pm
JMeinholdt wrote:
Wed Apr 01, 2020 11:53 pm
I have a Fizik saddle with the clip system on both of my bikes so I bought a Buplabs.com clip system mount.
I had a Buplabs seat mount when I was riding a Fizik saddle and it was a great, clean setup. But I've since switched to a Selle saddle and am in the process of setting up a seat rail mount for my Varia. Currently using the seat post mount which I don't like either but will work until the parts for the saddle rail mount arrive which should be by this weekend.
I agree. I'm really impressed with it. I was worried with it being a 3D printed option that it might feel flimsy, but it's a rock solid mount. Much more solid than my Wilier Alabarda Garmin mount. Speaking of, if anyone has any suggestions for a sturdier mount for the Alabarda, I'd be all over it.

young

by young

I was going to just mention burlabs too. they got some nice solution to problems I did know I had in mounting my radar. all said and done, mount might cost as much as radar LMAO.

btw the 510 still on sale for 130$

Ronin416

by Ronin416

Glad I read this thread! Just picked up the 510 and the mount starts to rotate on rides as it doesn't sit flush with the semi-aero post of the Tarmac. Their fixed mount would solve this, but I'm going with the Buplabs - way cooler! Thanks!

As for having one, I can totally see it be annoying to use in the city but the flashing light and mute can solve that. But guess you don't need to spend $130 for a flashing light if you're not using the radar.

I love mine as I ride mostly small city to rural roads and I appreciate the radar when I don't hear the cars, especially those hybrids or electric.

SortOfAttached

by SortOfAttached

3Pio wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:42 am
Two things i dont like... It's a bit bulky and just a tad ugly (just slightly :) , not something to worry about), and second more serious problem: Battery discharging much faster on my EDGE 520, so on longer rides i have to care Power Bank and to recharge in middle of ride...

For example some regular discharging is about 10% per hour, while with using Garmin Varia RTL510 i have about 20% per hour....On 200 km ride i had last week had to recharge twice (short stops but still).. On 150 km ride, had to recharge when i get 30% up 50% (had about 30-35 km to home), so with that recharge i have enough battery to finish the ride...
A bit late to the party, but my observation on the high battery usage (with both RTL500 and RTL510, using an Edge 520) is that it's largely to do with your backlight settings.

Keeping in mind that - unless you have it set for always-on - previously your backlight will normally only have come on when you pressed a button, and then stay on for the set duration (min 15 seconds). With the RTL500/510 the backlight will come on every time it picks up approaching vehicles, so depending on the traffic in your ride location, it can be firing the backlight up a LOT. The obvious remediation is to either have your backlight set to Off if possible (for long, daylight rides etc), or if you must have it on, set it for the shortest duration and lowest brightness you can tolerate.

Or get the Garmin Charge Power Pack for extra battery on-the-go.

3Pio

by 3Pio

SortOfAttached wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 11:02 pm
3Pio wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:42 am
Two things i dont like... It's a bit bulky and just a tad ugly (just slightly :) , not something to worry about), and second more serious problem: Battery discharging much faster on my EDGE 520, so on longer rides i have to care Power Bank and to recharge in middle of ride...

For example some regular discharging is about 10% per hour, while with using Garmin Varia RTL510 i have about 20% per hour....On 200 km ride i had last week had to recharge twice (short stops but still).. On 150 km ride, had to recharge when i get 30% up 50% (had about 30-35 km to home), so with that recharge i have enough battery to finish the ride...
A bit late to the party, but my observation on the high battery usage (with both RTL500 and RTL510, using an Edge 520) is that it's largely to do with your backlight settings.

Keeping in mind that - unless you have it set for always-on - previously your backlight will normally only have come on when you pressed a button, and then stay on for the set duration (min 15 seconds). With the RTL500/510 the backlight will come on every time it picks up approaching vehicles, so depending on the traffic in your ride location, it can be firing the backlight up a LOT. The obvious remediation is to either have your backlight set to Off if possible (for long, daylight rides etc), or if you must have it on, set it for the shortest duration and lowest brightness you can tolerate.

Or get the Garmin Charge Power Pack for extra battery on-the-go.
Thanks for reply.. I solve the problem using Cylinder shaped power bank, which i put in Garmin holder designed to put Cylinder shape front Light.. I ordered this from AliExpress really really cheap.. So on long rides i just bring this power bank, and connect to Edge 520 with small usb cable.. Look nice and im getting extra power i need...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

3Pio thanks for posting this topic. I can't remember who posted that the RTL510 was on-sale but thanks for sharing.

I purchased the RTL510 and have been very happy with it. It is really nice not to have to keep looking back when I pretty far over to the left due to potholes and debris on the right. The beeps are great for making you aware of a car behind you. They do get a bit annoying when there are multiple cars that trigger the beeps. I did not see this mentioned in any of the reviews but my unit will pick up other riders at times.

Who often is everyone recharging? Do you turn the unit off after a ride or let it go to sleep until the next ride? If you let it sleep how does that impact your battery life? I wish it would display battery percentage. I am very happy with the purchase. Now I just need to get a saddle mount. When I looked at the options mentioned earlier in the thread they all appeared to be sold out.

Instead of starting a new thread, I figured I would ask here. Who is running the Garmin UT810 front light? Is it worth the price vs. other options? My biggest hesitation around purchasing it is the battery life appears to be on the short side.