Garmin Varia RTL510 Marketing gimmick or really works?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

ms6073 wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 9:50 pm
I think I mentioned this a few pages back, but I have a suspicion that Garmin is working on integrating the Varia with a digital camera, which when a vehicle is detected, will display the camera video on the Garmin. But unlike with speed and power data, there currently is no ANT+ protocol for wireless video, and even with Bluetooth, power consumption for wirelessly broadcasting video to the computer becomes a factor. Imagine how nice it would be to be able to wear sunglasses with a HUD that could display the video from that kind of Varia?
If we're looking into the future, I'd prefer to see my Garmin on a head up display (HUD) in my glasses. Think of the aero and weight benefits! Garmin mount, what Garmin mount? :D

Could also have a rear facing camera with a live stream to the glasses, like a rear view mirror, but virtual. Would need ANT++++ for that.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

If Garmin did make a radar camera, that would be the next gadget I would purchase.

nickf

by nickf

Well, I have a Varia rvr315 on the way since relocating to a smaller town and riding nothing but rural roads. Back when I lived in Orlando I found the radar to be absolutely useless with that amount of traffic. Out here though I can go over an hour without seeing a single car, BUT I find myself always looking over my shoulder. Also when descending I catch myself wanting to look back but know it's not the safest option at 40+mph.

parleez1

by parleez1

Will the Varia work with an Edge 130 plus?

milanv

by milanv

parleez1 wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 9:08 pm
Will the Varia work with an Edge 130 plus?
Of course...

tleo

by tleo

nickf wrote:
Sat May 08, 2021 6:53 pm
Well, I have a Varia rvr315 on the way since relocating to a smaller town and riding nothing but rural roads. Back when I lived in Orlando I found the radar to be absolutely useless with that amount of traffic. Out here though I can go over an hour without seeing a single car, BUT I find myself always looking over my shoulder. Also when descending I catch myself wanting to look back but know it's not the safest option at 40+mph.
You'll love it in those condition. Very similar to what I usually ride.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I guess the radar would be useless if there are no cars around. I'm not certain why you would purchase one for those conditions and then say it was useless.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong.

I probably would find it annoying if I rode in the city and it was telling me there is a car behind me every second of my ride. Probably useless in those conditions too.

synchronicity

by synchronicity

I don't think that's what tleo is saying.

It won't be useless if there are no cars around. You'd have piece of mind until the odd car approaches and then it will beep.
Having said that, it might not be worth the fuss of recharging it for that. If it's that quiet that you can hear cars coming, then probably not.

If find it useful for country riding. When there are a lot of cars, it becomes annoying. I wish there was a quick way to mute the beep sounds going from quiet roads to busy ones. That's the only feature I wish for.
vertebrae | Precision braking and shifting.
vayakora | Eco mouse mats: silk, linen, cotton, ramie, bamboo, etc.

dierckxsens

by dierckxsens

synchronicity wrote:I don't think that's what tleo is saying.

It won't be useless if there are no cars around. You'd have piece of mind until the odd car approaches and then it will beep.
Having said that, it might not be worth the fuss of recharging it for that. If it's that quiet that you can hear cars coming, then probably not.

If find it useful for country riding. When there are a lot of cars, it becomes annoying. I wish there was a quick way to mute the beep sounds going from quiet roads to busy ones. That's the only feature I wish for.
My only feature request for the next version would be the option to change the beep to a vibration, otherwise great device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1sanglier

by 1sanglier

Yes, when there is lot of car, the beep generate stress and become penible

szazbo

by szazbo

With the 515 (not sure about the 510) with a Garmin 1030 or 1030+ you can pull down from the top of the screen and change the notifications and light mode. Pretty handy. An ongoing issue with the 515 is when your Garmin gives you a disconnection error, then reconnects. When this occurs, you will lose what ever light mode you selected and light goes into no flash. With the Garmin menu, you can override this to select the mode you want. Overall I really like this for descending when you cannot hear cars and their closing speed is not as fast as on flat ground, and when group riding and you are the tail rider, announcing the cars back and how many of them. Helps keep the others respectful and stay right.

MattMay

by MattMay

synchronicity wrote:I don't think that's what tleo is saying.

When you use it with a Wahoo Element (Bolt in my case) you can easily and quickly turn off sound in the app while you ride, and just have the flashing lights on top and approaching cars on screen.

tomtom

by tomtom

EdWiser wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 2:32 pm
tomtom wrote:
ms6073 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:28 pm
When we ride our gravel bikes, we set ours on standby when we are not on the road.
I know I can do that but I have to use the button on the Varia itself and wouldn't it be nice (and saver!) to do this on the Garmin or through Di2 :-)?!
You can do this on a Karoo 2 they added it in the last update.
Thanks! A nice feature but I have tested the Karoo 2 and was "shocked" how little it can do and how many features were missing in comparison to my Garmin 830. So I shipped it back.
Canyon Aeroad CFR
Canyon Grail CF

EdWiser

by EdWiser

So you know the Karoo 2 gets updates and new features every two weeks.
It is an evolving platform based off users wants and needs.

ancker

by ancker

I have two Varia 510 units because I make sure one is charged at all times so I never have to ride without one.

I ride mostly on country roads where I don't see many cars, but when I do, I rarely know they're coming because of wind noise.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com